Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a rear stand for a long time now but never had or needed a front stand. (lucky?)
So... I went to check out that new Triumph 675, that took 1.5 minutes, and then walked by the stands.
I saw one that seems pretty nice. It even comes with something like five different pins to fit most everything. Price was $100. DMP brand.
What do you think?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a Pit Bull pin-type front stand that works fine, except I have to remove the front fender for it to clear. No big for me.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
paulo57509 said:
I have a Pit Bull pin-type front stand that works fine, except I have to remove the front fender for it to clear. No big for me.
What Ducati do you have? I have a Pit Bull pin-type front stand too and it clears the front fender on my 2002 ST4s just fine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a chart for Ducatis:

Ducati

750/900SS 17mm pin
Monster 17mm pin
ST2/ST4 27mm pin
748/916/996 N/A
750/950SS/888 18mm pin
749 13mm pin

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
The 749/999 range and I think the 916 series don't (at least my 03 749S doesn't) have holes in the bottom of the triple for a pin type front stand. Pit Bull and others have adapters that work for those. Or you can use the type that goes underneth the fork legs, that's what I use (Pit Bull) for my 749.

The one I like and have been using for 5 years on my other bikes is the type you have shown from Woodcraft-CFM. The height is adjustable, and different size pins are available. http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17406 I find this type of front stand easier to use and less prone your bike coming off. My wife has no problem lifting the bike to help with putting on tire warmers with this one. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
front stand

I wrap a soft tie around the top triple tree (748) and with a come-a-long, lift it up to my i-beam in the garage. cost=$0, fitment=all bikes, and gives FULL access to the front wheel.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Problem is - doesn't work at the track :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Turbo said:
What Ducati do you have? I have a Pit Bull pin-type front stand too and it clears the front fender on my 2002 ST4s just fine.
I have a 748.

I order to get the pin lined up with the hole, the fender needs to get out of the way. There's three lines showing above the top clamp so this might be limiting clearance somewhat.

·
Registered
835 Posts
i just want a rear stand

·
Registered
40 Posts
Front Wheel Chalk

I have a Baxley Sport Bike Wheel Chalk, made by Baxley Trailer Company, that I couldn't live without. Simply set it on the floor, roll the front wheel into it and it's there for the duration. Can be used in the shop, garage, on the trailer or in the back of a truck. They are more pricey than other brands but they are excellent. When hauling my bikes I set it in the front-center of the truck bed and attach tie downs to the forks or handlebars which are then attached to the anchors at the front corners of the truck bed and go. They are heavy duty, built to last. Baxley has adverisements in some of the bike magazines and probably has a web site. I found mine in stock at a K & N Yamaha in Tulsa.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lifting the front

So I have the GT1000. Easy access to the bottom of the horizontal cylinder. I like the idea of being able to get the front wheel off the ground and hanging free (wheel removal AND front fork removal.) Who among you jacks up the front of the bike by using an automotive jack and a block of wood under the lower surface of the horizontal cylinder. The rear is straight and stabilized with a rear swingarm stand (I use a Ducati stand). Are the cooling fins up to the task?

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
I have FG front and rear stands for my 748 and ST2 (ST2 rear stand is leftover from the SS750 I used to have, but I typically just use the center stand). My wife has Motoboss front and rear stands for her GSXR. I'm goign to have to break down and get a triple-clamp type stand so that I can do fork services in the near future. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

I bought the FG stands because they were actually good deals and it just seems like the thing thing to do...Italian bikes....Italian stands. ;)

·
Registered
862 Posts
vduc said:
The one I like and have been using for 5 years on my other bikes is the type you have shown from Woodcraft-CFM. The height is adjustable, and different size pins are available. http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17406 I find this type of front stand easier to use and less prone your bike coming off. My wife has no problem lifting the bike to help with putting on tire warmers with this one. :)
+1 on Woodcraft ... great product.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have Vortex stands. They are new products but the company has been around racing motorcycles a long time. I bought them cause they looked really solid and have double-wheel axles and tubes that hold your ratchet, and nice black powdercoat. Anyway, the front stand is an under-the-triple-tree type. Ducati 749 superbikes have a hole to fit the pin, at least the dark, standard, and S models do, the 749R might not. You do have to be careful clearing the front fender, either use a rag or take the fender off before you put the bike up. I am pretty happy with the quality and price of these stands. I think I got them from 58cycle at a discount. But if I had it to do over I would probably get the pit bull fork lift.

Vortex front wheel stand:
http://www.vortexracing.com/index.p..._1=2388&class0_2=2389&class0_3=2490&pos=0,5,3

Vortex rear wheel stand:
http://www.vortexracing.com/index.p..._1=2385&class0_2=2418&class0_3=2419&pos=0,5,1

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have a baxley sport chalk , which is killer and comes in handy more than you know ,, i also have a set of FG stands ft & rr for the 749s , and have a set of handy stands and a fg for the 998s . The ST has a center stand so the FG will do double duty up front there ... but i'm liking the pit bull stand for end work and i'm really thinking hard on that set up , because of the hook type and no pin ( no falls ) , but if some one has a link or even better yet , a better stand out there i'd like to know

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
879 Posts
Pitbull front stand and adapters that work on my ST, worked on my Monster, works on my son SUZ, his friends HON and YAM.

I have an old Lockhart Phillips read stand.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts