Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a set of stands for my 851, which I'm about ready to move into my office after a two week long "cosmetic" restoration and prep for long-term storage. I know the Pit Bull stands are likely the best, but I don't want to spend $300+ on a set.

Has anyone used some of the lesser expensive stands with good results? I'll need a rear spool stand and a front fork stand. I can't use the type that goes into the triple tree, as I have a rubber guard that's mounted there from the factory.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
I use the old FG Gubellini ones from Ducati. They work well but so do those Pitbull stands.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Rear stand I have is harbor freight. $40 and works perfectly with the welded bungs on the swingarm.

Front stand I use is a CycleGear fork stand.

·
Registered
898 Posts
mucho sturdier than the harbor freight rear stand-very comparible to pittbulls & own those also.large dia.steel tubing-you won't have an issue.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You will not be able to remove the front wheel with that stand.
Please don't tell me that...I ordered a set last night...That is going to be a major buzz kill if that's the case...Does the stand get in the way of the axle?

EDIT: Looking at videos on YouTube, it looks like the front stand fork mounts can be oriented in two ways, one with the plate up (covering the axle bolt), and one with the plate down, which hopefully provides access to the axle bolt. I'm going to use these stands twice, once to hopefully remove and replace the front wheel, and a second time to get the bike situated in my office for long-term storage. If they hold up to that task, I'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The fork bottoms are able to rotate when the axle is free. They are also uncoupled from each other without the axle tying the structure together, so at a minimum you must use the rear stand as well (which in turn puts more weight in the front) to keep it level.
Even then differences in to two sides of the work may allow each side to become misaligned, making reinsertion of the axle a PITA.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You MUST use a rear stand anytime you use a front.

You can arrange the rotating rubber covered supports to sit under the calipers, depending on the bike (which means the wheel cannot be removed) or under the bottom of the forks, one rubber coated finger on the bottom, one behind, using it that way you can get the wheel and calipers undone and off easily, just make sure you loosen everything before lifting the wheel and of course, tighten everything with the wheel back on the ground.

I have a set of those stands, mine are branded "KANEG" and while they're ok they're not brilliant, certainly not the quality of PitBull or Anderson, you generally get what you pay for, they bolt together for cheaper packaging so i tack welded mine to make them more rigid than just the bolts and they work much better for me, still, mine are old and have been used at the track a lot.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wanted to provide a quick update. The Venom stands arrived and went together without issue. They're actually pretty sturdy. On the rear stand, the cap that holds the spool hook was welded on slightly crooked, so I'm going to see if they'll replace it. I don't want to chance scratching the swing arm. The front stands fit the fork perfectly, and I had no difficulty removing the front wheel. On both stands, the bike is very stable. In general, I'd say these stands are fine for light duty. I like the idea of welding the assembly together for more rigidity.

I had already gone to Home Depot to make up an assembly to raise the front tire after reading the axle was not accessible with these stands, and I actually came close to cancelling the order, but on the 851 at least, they function perfectly.
Stand 1.jpg
Stand 2.jpg
Stand 3.jpg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Final update....The seller I bought the stands from through Amazon, KapscoMoto, replaced the incorrectly welded upright, and had it to my door in 3 days. Nice to see there's still companies out there offering high levels of customer service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts