Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new motorcycle a aprilia let see what this new Tuono factory has I been having the hyper for 5 year I love that bike but aprilia i love the V4 sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congrats! Always loved them. Looking forawrd to your impressions. I would have probably gotten a Tuono but my street riding is pretty urban/congested and the I prefer the more upright nimbleness and more relaxed riding position of the Hyper. I have an RSV4 race bike, and the exhaust noise cant be beat- and the V4 is an amazing motor- it'll propel you to speed in a disguising way. I got off my R1 and onto my RSV4, and it seemed slower, but was doing same times on it straight away, felt less frantic.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I loved and hated my Tuono all at once.

The dealer network in South Florida is awful and the bike did not inspire me with confidence in regard to its reliability. The forums are rife with members having issues up to and including engines grenading.

The MHI (new term i just heard for the first time a few days ago, motorcycle human interface) was one of the worst ive ever used. The chintzy little joystick that you use to control various features on the TFT dash was the biggest piece of shit known to man. A push to the left would result in the "cursor" moving up. A push to the right would result in the cursor moving down. An attempt to push IN on the joystick would result in the "cursor" moving wherever it wanted. The whole thing was just stupid.

The lack of a fuel gauge and shitty gas mileage also drove me nuts. I was lucky to get 100 miles to a tank.

The graphics on the bikes are HIDEOUS and whichever marketing idiot thought that putting hash tags all over it was a good idea should be drowned in spaghetti.

Having said all of this, the bike has THE best motor EVER put together as far as character. That v4 is something magical.

The bike has THE best capability for sound provided you pick the right exhaust. The V4 is just intoxicating.

The chassis and suspension is so planted, so plush and so comfy that you feel like you can lean the bike over 90 degrees and be ok.

Its such a cool bike, i just think that Aprilia sells themselves short by not addressing the shortcomings listed above. Some people dont care about those things and to them I say, buy the darned bike, its epic. Living with it for me was a no go.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I’ve got a ‘13 Tuono that I bought new in early ‘14. It has a certain coarseness and rawness that I find very appealing. It pulls so strong going thru the gears. I ticked over 28K mi on it this summer. It has eaten 2 stators, this issue was sorted on later year bikes. It’s a rock’in machine, pick your spots where you open it up, it builds speed fast.

·
Super Moderator
5,287 Posts
I'm absolutely in love with, if still a little intimidated by, my Tuono. yeah, the little joystick could be less twitchy but that's a minor niggle. what a beast! Installed the heated gear pigtail last night and had a great ride. It's 18º and I'm gearing up for another jaunt this morning, gotta keep the battery charged. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats! Always loved them. Looking forawrd to your impressions. I would have probably gotten a Tuono but my street riding is pretty urban/congested and the I prefer the more upright nimbleness and more relaxed riding position of the Hyper. I have an RSV4 race bike, and the exhaust noise cant be beat- and the V4 is an amazing motor- it'll propel you to speed in a disguising way. I got off my R1 and onto my RSV4, and it seemed slower, but was doing same times on it straight away, felt less frantic.
Nice to know, is the v4 engine have a lot torque that why feel more power than R1.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
I have had all 3 generations of the Tuono. Everyone of them had some type of issue which is easily dealt with. Little time, patience and love is all it takes. Just like the Ducks, there are little niggles that need tending.
Gen 1 : starter clutch, stators and never greased from factory is the dogbones and bearings on swingarm, white electrical plug V2 motor is rock solid with fabulous torque
Gen 2 : stators and infamous white electrical plug that fails (common to Gen 1 as well) V2 motor is rock solid with a more laid back power delivery but again, fab torque
Gen 3 : (1000cc) Stators, and mushy valve train V4 "untamed" motor that I feel is the best of the group
The one I had, was almost bare of the rider aids and I think is a better motor, more raw power, kinda untamed

The newest 1100 cc with all the riders aids is a beast but, more refined power wise. Also more claimed HP.

When this duck-itis either simmers down or I have the cash, I will be buying another.

Best of luck, stick with it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to own both. A '19 Tuono Factory (Summit Attack version) I bought recently, and a '16 Hypermotard 939 SP. Both make me very, very happy - and are quite different from one another.

Previously, I had a 2016 Tuono Factory for four years. It was flawless. I often describe it as a V4 superbike with all-day comfort. I've done a bunch of trips of 250-300 miles in a day on it, and other than the wind blast, it's super comfortable. Have had it on the track as well. The sound, the power, the gearbox - stunning. My all-time favorite bike I've ever owned.

Found a deal on the Hyper locally on Craigslist early in 2019. It's such a sick little bike. Makes me do really bad things, like most any supermoto. The weird thing is that it's actually a big, powerful, naked bike - not a supermoto. But it still feels like one as soon as you get on it. However, unlike supermoto bikes, it's comfortable and has decent tank range. I had one of the air-cooled 1100's years ago, and sold it to buy a Multistrada, because as much as I liked it, it had crappy range and wasn't really good for touring. The new one is no rocket ship, it's actually fairly docile, but at lower speeds in tight corners, I can't imagine anything better. And super easy to wheelie.

If I just wanted a bike for around-town hooliganism and occasional day trips on tight, twisty stuff - Hyper all day.

For higher-speed fun and do-it-all capability in a sexy V4 package - absolutely the Tuono.

Both absolutely incredible machines that remind me why I love motorcycles so much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts