Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my new thing: I want to ride a retro/gorgeous bike but I don't want to sacrifice too much on the performance part. Let's put it another way: I'm a knee dragging addict, and, more and more, a wheelie addict, and I don't want to totally abandon these supposedly bad habits when I ride.

I love the look and sound of the Sport 1000 / Sport 1000 S. And since there's "sport" in the bike's name, I think it might just fit the bill, right?

So I'm considering to get one of these beauties with a set of Termignoni's and a pair of Ohlins forks. Oh, and a set of sticky sport tires, too.

But what else should I be looking at so the bike doesn't feel too tame after the hooliganish Speed Triple? Brembo radial front brake maybe? Or is that too much?

What are the best, first-aid, not-too-expensive performance-improving tweaks that can be made on the Sport 1000 / Sport 1000 S ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
343 Posts
As you can see from my sig, I have both - well, close, as I don't have a Sport 1K but a GT. I like them both for different reasons, but the bike I most often take on my canyon rides is definitely the Speed Triple. I absolutely love the motor in that bike, and the stock Showa suspension is very nice and adjustable, although with the Ohlin fork I bet the Sport would be a delight. If I could only keep one of my bikes, it'd be the Speed Triple. No contest.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Interesting questions...

you can't really compare these two bikes. your Speed triple has a good 30 extra HP and is definitely quicker, yet I don't think you will feel the power band and the torque the same as on the sport. The power you will sacrifice resides at the top end, though. So unless you're constantly near the red-line with your triple, I think you can really enjoy what the DS1000 motor has to offer. As for knee-dragging and wheelies, I don't see the problem there either: put a pair of rear-sets, and just pull the throttle in 1st: it will go up on its own.

There is nothing quick and cheap about modding a ducati unless we're talking cosmetic. I think everyone on this site can tell you their frustration with the entry-level quality of the forks, so if you find a Paul Smart with the Ohlins, that's a good place to start, otherwise you can find good quality showas from S4Rs on ebay etc.... The wheels are pretty, but heavy, and they don't clear 4P breaks. The only solution for wire spokes with 4p breaks are Alpina wheels. But you can also fit Carrozzerias, Marchesinis, Brembo, and probably all sorts of other wheels which have a more modern look but are much lighter. Steering damper is also a must. The PS and the S come with one, but if you go for a naked (GT or Sport1000), I recommend looking up WASP (on the forum) for his Top Mount Steering Damper kit: a life saver.

For more power to the engine, you can go big bore, you can also check out what WASP is up to with his power-up kit... but I sincerely don't think you will find that the engine is lagging. It's a strong little beast with tons of character, and a pleasure to ride at all speeds.

I won't digress in the benefits I find to owning an SC vs a speed triple, because: to each his own, but again, like many people here, i can honestly say that this is my favorite bike I have ever owned and I don't see myself riding anything else.

cheers!

EDIT: J'avais pas vu que tu étais à paris. A considerer en ville: la position est vraiment dure dans les embouteillages, et les pots font vraiment beaucoup de bruit... mais bon... mon frere à la meme que moi à Paris et il prend vraiment son pied... c'est une moto qui a de l'ame. voila... a +

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've always been a V-twin fan, but some time ago I HAD to have a Speed triple.
It's a great bike, powerful and all, but it will never be an extension of my body like my track 998, or my Alp-carving Multistrada, or even my Dynotec guzzi 1150 sport. Twins, particularly 2 valve air-cooled twins are different. If you're into wheelie/stoppie/silly fun stuff, and you're used to the speedT, I suggest you be kind to yourself and go for a monster - SR4s or 1100. SR4s for the crazy top end, and the 1100 for the 'monster' torque.

Cheers
Vitalc

EDIT: J'avais pas vu que tu étais à paris. A considerer en ville: la position est vraiment dure dans les embouteillages, et les pots font vraiment beaucoup de bruit... mais bon... mon frere à la meme que moi à Paris et il prend vraiment son pied... c'est une moto qui a de l'ame. voila... a +

Ciel! Quelle surprise... y a meme qq accents, mais sur les mauvais endroits:D
Moi, mon clavier, y a pas d'accents, j'suis bete :(.
Un parisien expatrie? Des sessions de moto-survie sur le peripherique? Mjam.​

·
Registered
900 Posts
Street Fighter or why bother. Sport Classics are great bikes but not really the 130 hp a S3 has.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Ciel! Quelle surprise... y a meme qq accents, mais sur les mauvais endroits:D
on ne se refait pas... :think:

Un parisien expatrie? Des sessions de moto-survie sur le peripherique? Mjam.[/INDENT][/I][/COLOR]
depuis Angeles Crest (HWY 2) je ne pense plus au periph... :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Street Fighter or why bother. Sport Classics are great bikes but not really the 130 hp a S3 has.
Streetfighter just doesn't do it for me. It doesn't look like a proper, timeless machine.
Power is not everything and you know it. I have much more fun riding a 95hp Monster 1100 on the road than an 1198 or Streetfighter...

On the track, it's a different story of course.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Streetfighter just doesn't do it for me. It doesn't look like a proper, timeless machine.
Power is not everything and you know it. I have much more fun riding a 95hp Monster 1100 on the road than an 1198 or Streetfighter...

On the track, it's a different story of course.
Then you'd be very happy with the SC's, right? By far and away the only "retro" bike that will give you some speed thrill. If power is meaningless, get a Bonneville.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Then you'd be very happy with the SC's, right? By far and away the only "retro" bike that will give you some speed thrill. If power is meaningless, get a Bonneville.
I would have to agree that as far as the retros go this one will be the most fun. I also ride a Tuono and spent 2 weeks on one in the French and Italian Alps and found it an absolute beast and and hoot (I bought a Factory on the return). But I always go for the Classic first and even though I am probably going slower - I seem to be having more fun. If I am out scraping with the liter bikes though its the Tuono I go for first (no question on the track as well). The Speed Triple is a blast and if Sport Touring is in the picture you may want to seriously consider it over the S1000 (mileage is always an issue with both). Enjoy the choice.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Classic/Triple

I've got Termi's and a Wasp PUK on my Classic and it still doesn't have the power the Triple (with an Arrow 3 to 1) has. If you're riding hard, the Triple is far more fun, and you can throw it around quite a bit more than the Classic. The Classic you have to work for the turns. The Classic is more fun to ride around town and when you're a bit less aggressive and it does look a bit cooler. They're very different bikes, with different riding positions and engines. I'm more comfortable at high speeds on the Triple, but I feel cooler on the Classic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts