Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone here had a 999 as their second bike or come from riding only 250cc bikes to a 999... or is this too unsafe and stupid?? im from sydney and have only ever had 250cc bikes, i really want a 999. i know you should step up to something around 600cc first before moving to a 999 but i dont think i could settle for anything else... i just want to get one now. should i get a bike around 600cc first or just go straight for the 999 and try take it easy?

·
Registered
23 Posts
if you just ride with your head and respect the bike, then you'll be fine.... what you can get away with on the 250cc, you won't be able to do on a 999 (like cracking throttle on violently mid corner, etc.. )

if you want, do it and if you've got 1/2 a brain, you'll be fine... but i've seen plenty of riders do this (jump to a 1000cc from a 250cc), and they struggle... guys on 600's outride them too easy!..

you'll be a far better rider if you do your apprenticeship on the smaller bikes first... your call i guess...

D

·
Registered
396 Posts
Why don't you skip a 999 for the moment and try a 749? It will be just as exciting as owning a 999. And don't worry there's plenty of power and torque too once your skills improve.

I also owned two 250's before moving up to my 749. Its not a difficult transition, but there are things you wont get away with on a bigger bike.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
If you're an experience rider with the 250cc you'll be fine with a 999.

But like some said, the 749 is a valid option too.

BTW what 250cc bikes did you ride??

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
I went from an Aprilia RS250 2-smoke to an RSV 1000...for the track does that count? ;)

If you're experienced and have some throttle control (don't whack it open it'll spit you off, don't ask how I know) you'll be ok. I'm partial to 749 though for the street.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well I know alot of friends that went from not riding a bike to 1000cc GSXR's...I went from no riding experience to 749 Ducati...I dont think it stupid...You just have to be aware of the consequences of the things you do....Your brain controls the hand that moves the throttle...So in the end if you crashed its your fault...unless someone ran into you....

·
Registered
93 Posts
do what you want, just be careful. my FIRST motorcycle is the 996 i have. i wouldnt have gotten anything else period. use your head, watch for the other guy, have fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts