Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning two 1100's I finally bit the bullet and bought an 821 (2014 standard model). Picked it up today and have fitted the 14 tooth front sprocket. Initial impressions are the power is very on par with my old 1100's but for some reason the brakes are soft and spongy. Possible air etc but a clean and bleed will determine the course of action required. Riding position is VERY different to the 1100 and it almost feels like I'm on top of the tank for lack of a better description. No adjustments on the suspension is beyond understanding for a 20k bike and I simply cannot forgive Ducati for this but a trip to my local suspension guru will fix this at a moderate price. Well fix it to a rideable resolution without having clickers to adjust .. sigh.

It's Friday here is Australia tomorrow, so I'll take her up the twisties after work tomorrow and update my findings :)

Having owned the bigger brother to the 821 I am very keen to see how the 821 goes in the hills I usually ride the 1100. For interested parties I'm 48 yrs old and like most of us here been riding all my life. 6"2 and 110kgs so I am a tight fit on any bike lol.

Bring on the curves!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm loving the new KTM's . May be switching forums soon ..... :|
looking for offers.... The one I'm looking at wasn't made in India either . :surprise:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'm loving the new KTM's . May be switching forums soon ..... :|
looking for offers.... The one I'm looking at wasn't made in India either . :surprise:
I cant say that I love the look of the 1290 Super Duke but what it can do
keeps me considering picking one up. Maybe the new GT version might
do it, but I have to see one in person 1st. If only Ducati would put a
motor like that in a new Hyper.

·
Registered
416 Posts
After owning two 1100's I finally bit the bullet and bought an 821 (2014 standard model). Picked it up today and have fitted the 14 tooth front sprocket. Initial impressions are the power is very on par with my old 1100's but for some reason the brakes are soft and spongy. Possible air etc but a clean and bleed will determine the course of action required. Riding position is VERY different to the 1100 and it almost feels like I'm on top of the tank for lack of a better description. No adjustments on the suspension is beyond understanding for a 20k bike and I simply cannot forgive Ducati for this but a trip to my local suspension guru will fix this at a moderate price. Well fix it to a rideable resolution without having clickers to adjust .. sigh.

It's Friday here is Australia tomorrow, so I'll take her up the twisties after work tomorrow and update my findings :)

Having owned the bigger brother to the 821 I am very keen to see how the 821 goes in the hills I usually ride the 1100. For interested parties I'm 48 yrs old and like most of us here been riding all my life. 6"2 and 110kgs so I am a tight fit on any bike lol.

Bring on the curves!
I made the same jump and couldn't be happier. The 1100 was a lot of fun and I loved it. The chassis on the 821 is superior in handling and road feel.

As for motor, the old one had slightly more grunt in the low end, but the new bike has excellent power delivery all the way to red line.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took her up the mountain after work today and in all honesty in the SPORT mode it makes my old Hyper 1100 feel like a tractor. Excusing my initial emotional rush of omg this is new and so exciting I found the SPORT mode to be almost too aggressive? Tomorrow morning I will do the same ride in URBAN mode and compare. For completely unadjustable suspension it rode relatively well. The rear wallowed a bit but that may be due to my 110kg fat arse on it :). Have 5mm unused rubber on the front and 3mm on the rear so for my first ride on her it's not too bad. The rear spring is wound to exactly half way on the available threads. Front forks are 6mm thru the top. I haven't moved either of them that is how i picked it up yesterday.

As for wheelies my old 1100 leaves it for dead as I still cannot get the 821 to power up in 3rd nor can i get it to pop up in 3rd with the clutch. Possibly just due to my being new to her and a few rides may resolve it. 2nd gear is no problem and 1st is just too much with the 14th on the front.

The riding position is very motorcross style with the feeling of sitting over the front wheel. I will put the bike on the scales tomorrow and weigh it and see how the weight is spread with the bike solo and then with me sitting on it.

It feels slow to tip side to side while just riding along but when you are on it it turns like a razor.

Overall I simply am blown away by the difference from my old 1100 to this 821 sharp and aggressive weapon of a Ducati! Don't get me wrong I still love my old 1100 more than life itself, but to compare the 1100 to a now newer model with newer technology available that the 1100 did not have is almost unfair. Both are beyond fantastic and if I had both in the shed I'd probably never go riding as I'd be sitting there pondering which to ride :smile2:

Until tomorrow ...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i weighed the 821 and it was 90kg on the front wheel and 102kg on the rear so it is not light per say. We have glass scales so I couldn't get a weight with myself sitting on it. But it feels very light once you're riding :).

The 3 modes are very different from one another and the one I suit mostly is of course "touring". "Sport" is just too much throttle response and it surges forward when you close the throttle off at random times on this mode and to be honest it is down right dangerous.

Wheelies ... well this is my first bike that I cannot get balance point on grrrr. The rev range is very short and by the time it pops up its too high in the revs. This is probably just my own adjusting to this bike and I am praying it works itself out. Tried the left passenger peg but it feels very high and I actually chickened out from what I would be normally using the peg for stand ups on the 1100 all the time.

I have size 12 boots (46-48 euro) and my right foot has a lot of trouble when riding on the balls of my feet as my heel hits the standard footpeg. Rearsets will resolve this at a significant cost.

Overall this is the most fun and rewarding bike I have ever owned! The seating position is fantastic. The unadjustable suspension for a 115kg suited rider is amazing. The engine is incredible beyond all my wildest expectations and when in Sport mode its like Im on the big bang R1 lol.

I did just under 400klms today and felt fit and ready to go at the end...my butt was a tad sore lol.

I just need to work on the wheelies...but I have to admit i am keen to ride the 939 more and more each day as I miss that pure grunt/torque of my old 1100. Damn this bike is sex on wheels yet it is still missing that one gigantic fun factor of epic torque... time for another ride to evaluate some more :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have to admit i am keen to ride the 939 more and more each day
I have parted with my 821 SP and i miss it , I agree it is the most fun bike I've ever owned along with my Tuono 1100 Factory,I now purchased a Scrambler full throttle to just screw around on the fire roads with some friends until the 939 SP is available , My Good Friend/Dealer owner will call me when the new SP is available so i will get first dibs on it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am honestly really struggling to wheely this bike :( . I can clutch it up in 2nd no probs but it hits the rev limiter before I can even get close to balance point. 3rd gear is a total loss at this time but maybe it's just my inability and perhaps rushing it a bit? I you-tubed it today and sure enough there are guys 12'0'clocking 821's everywhere sigh/lol. My old 1100 wheelies were like nirvana...just dump it in 3rd and then cruise in pure one wheeled bliss.

Maybe im just rushing it and should go back to the wheely drawing board and learn this sexy new bikes abilities :) Damn but this thing handles like your girlfriends younger sister :) (ok not that young, but you know what I mean)

My bike came with the stock pirellis and they seem to be sluggish on turning until they get heat into them. I'll drop the forks 3-5mm tomorrow and see how that makes it turn in.

Tomorrow is a public holiday here so time for some more testing :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Slid the forks through the yokes by 4mm today and it now corners with much more confidence on the initial tip in.

Fortunately I am in love with the stock pipes looks even though the finish isn't the best when you get up close and personal. I just like the shape and how the style matches the bikes design.

It definitely needs some clear protection over the front and sides of the fairings as they are very exposed to stone chips and I already have a few marks on the fork legs from one ride.

But god I am LOVING this bike!!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A couple of hundred kilometers today and to be perfectly honest this bike is beginning to frustrate me with its sheer ability to do anything with ease except wheely. I like a ride where you can power out of a corner and pop it up into a wheely at pretty much any time an opportunity presents itself.

By using 2nd gear and popping the clutch it is able to wheely but when you are having fun, and then the time it takes to think "what gear am I in or this is not going to work" is ruining the moment...god it sounds like a bad sexual experience :)

Currently I run the 14th front but I will endeavor to find a +1 for the rear sprocket this week, Possibly a chain/sprocket conversion kit, I don't know as I have yet to google it.

Finding a great bike WITHOUT ... DTC, ABS, ABC, ETC is getting harder and harder. For my own riding style I just don't need all the electronics and I am definitely not bragging or big noting myself through that statement. I just don't want the gadgetry. Maybe it's to do with growing up on bikes that just let you wheely without having to stop and turn this off or that on.

I pray I find a happy medium as this 821 is just such an awesome bike it will be hard to part ways with it.

I apologise if this comes across anti 821 as omg I love this bike as it almost looks like a Daivel from certain angles and it goes around corners like its's on rails :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Every bike has its negatives. If the worst thing that is happening is you can't wheelie in third then that probably isn't too dramatic. Maybe I am just too old, but I love the feeling of acceleration where the wheel is just off the ground and you are controlling the energy to move forward, not up. Not as familiar with the new Gen but can't you turn the electronics off?

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
985 Posts
Finding a great bike WITHOUT ... DTC, ABS, ABC, ETC is getting harder and harder. For my own riding style I just don't need all the electronics and I am definitely not bragging or big noting myself through that statement. I just don't want the gadgetry.
I feel exactly the same way. Rider aids take away from the riding experience and make you a better rider in some cases than you actually are. If I screw up, I want to take the fault. Just the bike and I and nothing in between to interfere.

Reactions: Spex and beelzebob

·
Registered
587 Posts
I feel exactly the same way. Rider aids take away from the riding experience and make you a better rider in some cases than you actually are. If I screw up, I want to take the fault. Just the bike and I and nothing in between to interfere.
Also less stuff to complain about failing RIDE BY CABLE make's me feel more connected .

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm considering a Hyper as an additional bike for day-to-day commuting and hooliganism. Rented a Hyper 821 last week end in California and put it through its paces. Agree with the OP that it handles like it's on rails but I had beef with the bike's powerband and not being able to get it to power up at will. I haven't ridden the Hyper 1100 yet but it sounds like it may be more the ticket I'm looking for in that respect. As it may be hard to get a demo ride on the older model, I appreciate any other comparisons from people who have ridden both. I don't need Electronics for this bike so outside of that, what are the main differences you guys are seeing/feeling between the old cs new regime?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm considering a Hyper as an additional bike for day-to-day commuting and hooliganism. Rented a Hyper 821 last week end in California and put it through its paces. Agree with the OP that it handles like it's on rails but I had beef with the bike's powerband and not being able to get it to power up at will. I haven't ridden the Hyper 1100 yet but it sounds like it may be more the ticket I'm looking for in that respect. As it may be hard to get a demo ride on the older model, I appreciate any other comparisons from people who have ridden both. I don't need Electronics for this bike so outside of that, what are the main differences you guys are seeing/feeling between the old cs new regime?
I was looking to buy a new 821 last year. But my dealer had a used 1100 so I thought I'd give it a go, after all it is a much better looking bike (the subframe on the 821 is really not to my liking). To put it bluntly, I couldn't tell what about the 821 was supposed to be hyper after having ridden the old 1100.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well after another decent ride I am having to admit this new Hyper 821 will be on the market as I am done with it. It is truly an absolutely gorgeous bike and does everything it is supposed to do extremely well. It just has the wrong power curve for how I enjoy riding. I will be buying another 1100s Hyper as the engine is just so much more relaxed yet offers far more "fun" for how I ride. For thousands of riders the 821 will be the best thing they ever experience. Unfortunately it does not offer what I want in a bike and this is purely a personal preference not a fault in this magnificent bike. I am very, very glad to have had the chance to own and ride an 821 but it just isn't my cup of tea.

ok for my reasons why for those curious.. ( bar these I do love it and if I could afford it I would love this as a 2nd bike )

1. far too aggressive power curve (probably rider dependant and more time may well resolve it I must admit)

2. throttle that just behaves on its own free will (yes I owned the original superduke 990 2005 which makes this throttle look tame lol )

3. does not like power wheelies out of a corner unless you are in the almost exact, specific power point in the power curve (again more seat time may resolve this but I dont enjoy having to work to do this )

4. complete failure on ducatis behalf to offer suspension adjustment for a $19k australian dollar bike ( there is no excuse for this )

5. Ducati Australias complete disregard for any issue I bring to them. Compared to what I read from you guys overseas our dealers just tell us to piss off and thats it. Our premium Ducati importer is called NFI importers which we call "no fucking idea" importers..sigh/lol

But on a great note I look forward to my future bike being the 1100s and bringing back the Ducati smile that we all love :)

p.s there is definitely no intention to bag 821's in this thread. It is an absolute weapon in the right hands. It just isnt the right bike for me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Pop, fwiw the throttle on mine (june 2015) is excellent - smooth and predictable. Only issue I've experienced is the typical mild hunting from wire throttle at low rpms. Other than that I actually had more issues on my cable driven sv650s. Thanks for the feedback its interesting to hear the perspective from someone who really makes use of the torque on the 1100.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts