Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i just bought me a 996 so i wont tell along story ! I went to go ride when i like always warm her up an make sure she is oiled to the mark ! I looked one last time antil i get on an ride her ? Wheni seen what i did not want to see water in the oil!!!!!! S#&! That's my luck she has only 11523 miles . I need help . i do everything myself on an off the clock around the clock PLEASE NEED ADVISE BAD. THANKS

·
Registered
491 Posts
Allow me to be "Captain Obvious" for a minute. Change the oil and filter - Mob1 15-50 is a good choice.

The way I see it, there are three ways for water to get into the engine oil

1) Head gasket not properly sealing the head, allowing coolant to seep into the combustion chamber and into the oil. The cylinder heads have to come off to fix this although, surprisingly, this is not that big of a deal with a Ducati.
2) Condensation happens inside an engine with changes in temperature and humidity. When a bike sits, it can be significant. Moisture can also enter an engine through an open intake or exhaust valve while the bike is sitting. One of these is always open, even a little, when the engine is stopped
3) Water is a significant by-product of combustion. Cylinder rings do not perfectly seal a piston in its bore, even when broken in - the result is known as blow by and therefore by-products of combustion get into the oil, which makes it dirty. When a bike sits, it can be significant.

There may be other possibilities here, like an open breather hose or something, so check the thing over.

But for now, change the oil and ride the bike and keep an eye on the oil window for greyish deposits - this is water mixed in the oil.
Rob

·
comrade moderator
27,184 Posts
2) Condensation happens inside an engine with changes in temperature and humidity. When a bike sits, it can be significant.
That's all it is. If you can still see after a 20 mile ride, you have reason to be concerned. Come down off the rafters, it's fine.

BTW, Hello and welcome to Ducati.ms.

If you have a chance, could you please fill out your location information in the "UserCP" and add your bikes to your signature line...and enjoy the forum!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts