Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

I'm about to buy a bike from Tennessee (if that's how it's spelt). I need it freighted to Los Angeles. I don't need the bike pre-crated - that will be done in LA for the trip to Austalia. Who would you recommend? Who would you not go near? The shop said they can organise it for me, but I figured I'd ask the wealth of knowledge that is here :)

Cheers - Craig

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
i think there are numerous threads on the subject (shipping/shippers). allied, jc motorcycle shipping, are a couple of companies that come to mind.

let the search feature be your friend on this one.

best success,

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
hi guys,

I'm about to buy a bike from Tennessee (if that's how it's spelt). I need it freighted to Los Angeles. I don't need the bike pre-crated - that will be done in LA for the trip to Austalia. Who would you recommend? Who would you not go near? The shop said they can organise it for me, but I figured I'd ask the wealth of knowledge that is here :)

Cheers - Craig
Craig, there is a guy on the forum "red pato" who is on his way to Robbinsville NC area right now for the ECM 2012 this weekend. He is carrying his bike in his pickup. I don't want to speak for either of you but maybe there is a mutual interest in adding your bike for his return trip.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think there are numerous threads on the subject (shipping/shippers). allied, jc motorcycle shipping, are a couple of companies that come to mind.

let the search feature be your friend on this one.

best success,
Oh crap! I'll just say that it's 1am here right now and I'm not thinking straight... Normally I'm the search expert, but didn't even start to this time...

Thanks - Craig

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Craig, there is a guy on the forum "red pato" who is on his way to Robbinsville NC area right now for the ECM 2012 this weekend. He is carrying his bike in his pickup. I don't want to speak for either of you but maybe there is a mutual interest in adding your bike for his return trip.
Hmmm - that has potential, I'm assuming he's from LA?

·
Registered
467 Posts
hi guys,

Cheers - Craig
Craig,

I just used Motorcycle Shipping Company: HaulBikes Motorcycle Transportation and have to say I was impressed with their service. They use semi-truck trailers specifically setup for shipping motorcycles and ATVs. The bike doesn't need to be crated. It cost me $520 USD to ship a bike from Washington to Colorado.

I also spoke to them about shipping a different bike from Colorado to the Port at Long Beach (LA). Here is the quote they gave me...

Thank you for your interest in Daily Direct, HAULBIKES. As long as your unit fits within 4’wide x 9’long x 58”high, the quote for your shipment is as follows: CO to CA à $575
Please use the following Quote #50982 for reference. If the unit you are shipping exceeds any of the above stated dimensions, there are additional fees. We cannot ship any unit that exceeds the height of 58”. We ship bikes in an 80 foot semi-tractor/trailer and the trailer is fully enclosed. We do not crate or palletize and there is no need to disconnect the battery or drain any of the fluids. All units must roll and we would prefer that the keys be shipped with the unit to ensure proper pick-up and delivery of the unit. We can only take the bike/unit itself and not any other boxes or extra parts. Anything that is in a storage compartment will be shippable.
The price above does include $15,000 worth of insurance and a $500 deductible. You have the option to increase the insurance and / or eliminate the deductible. Please see the details on page 1 of the contract.
Our drivers provide detailed inspection reports to the shipper and receiver with each move. For logistics and security, our trucks are satellite tracked.
To proceed with this order you would need to print out and fill in the attached contract and send it back to us. You can fax it, mail it or if you have access to a scanner, scan it and send it in an email as an attachment to me. Please provide the quote number and/or eb quote number. This is to ensure you receive the correct quoted price. This quoted price is good for two weeks only, and includes the current national average fuel surcharge. Any time frame estimates that have been provided to you are estimates and are subject to change depending on the circumstances when you return your contract back to us. (Please see the attached Shipping Guide for more specific information on shipping!)
If you have any questions, feel free to email me or contact us toll free at #1-888-428-5245. We are open M-F, 8:30 am – 5 pm, and Saturday 9 am – 3 pm, Central time.
Thank you!

--Sk

·
Señor Member
8,300 Posts
I would like to be able to help you but would have to know some specifics of what you're doing and what you would need me to do. Where in TN is the bike? Would need to know that to know how far, if any, out of my way it would be. Is it ready to be picked up as I'm leaving Sunday. How soon would it need to be in LA? I get home Tuesday and go to work Wednesday as well as have plans for the following weekend. How much are you willing to pay? On the flip side, the previous post said a pro shipper can do it for close to $600. I would suggest using them, if you get it for near that amount, because I would ask nearly the same. And I'm no pro. The bike would be in the back of an open truck, just as mine is, for the three day drive back.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
I would like to be able to help you .........The bike would be in the back of an open truck, just as mine is, for the three day drive back.
which is a lot less time than it will take for a shipping company to arrange pick-up and deliver it to CA.....i will almost guarantee it.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
. And I'm no pro. The bike would be in the back of an open truck, just as mine is, for the three day drive back.
Ahem. You are every bit of a Pro and I'm saying that from first hand experience working with you on the last ECM trip back with FOUR bikes!

I will personally vouch for John as being the most honest an reliable individual on the planet. The rest is just in the details and I hope it works out for everyone!

DT

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Ahem. You are every bit of a Pro and I'm saying that from first hand experience working with you on the last ECM trip back with FOUR bikes!

I will personally vouch for John as being the most honest an reliable individual on the planet. The rest is just in the details and I hope it works out for everyone!

DT
I 2nd that.

·
Sophomore Member
3,120 Posts
Please tell me you aren't buying from Pandora in Chattanooga, TN. If you are, beware! I personally have been treated horrible by Justin and his team. I've heard others that were buying from far away and the deal changed when they arrived.

One the travel note, you could always buy me a ticket from LA back to TN and I'll ride the bike out to LA for you. :D That would be just horrible, having to ride a bike across the country!

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still trying to get some important documents organised from the seller before I can pay for the bike as I need these sorted so that export/import approval for the bike can arranged. I was hoping to have it sorted by now, but it still is not sorted.

I might as well spill the beans now, the seller is Bellisimoto in Knoxville, a forum sponsor who I have bought parts from once before and were really good back then, and so far I have not seen one bad thing about them. The bike I'm trying to buy now is their 1978 Yamaha SR500E for some classic fun. No one here better turn up with cash...

I didn't want to precrate the bike as I have to pay a fee for the bike to be setup in the export container from LA to Australia anyway, and don't want to pay for crating twice. From everything I've seen so far, it should be possible to ship the bike uncrated without it causing a hassle.

Redpato/John, it seems your reputation on here preceeds you which is in an excellent thing, but having a quick look where you are, I figured it would be quite a hassle for you to get the bike to Gardena, and having not met you, I didn't want to bother you even though I'd be willing to pay (asking friends to go out their way is one, but I feel concientous about asking for favours from people I haven't met). In addition to that though, the bike not being covered is a small problem as it needs to be clean for shipping to get through customs. Also as much as everyone here recommends you, if someone were to take you out and even though it may not be your fault, what would happen insurance wise for my bike? But the final nail in the coffin, is that simply I haven't finalised the purchase, and as far as I can tell you'll be leaving for home very shortly.

I must say since I have joined this forum, it has been quite the uplifting community experience. I have always received such willingness of peoples time to help from the day I first started enquiring here about buying a Ducati 5 years ago to now. Which is more than enough more me to pay my premium membership.

t-bills - thanks for the offer, if someone paid my airfare, I'd certainly consider doing the same for someone in Australia too (in fact, if someone pays the airfare, I'd do it anywhere in the world :D), but at the moment I'm unsure of the bikes current registration on-road status, and as above, the bike really needs to be delivered clean, 3500kms has quite the possible chance of rain.

So from what I've looked into, SK's recommendation of haulbikes looks pretty good. I haven't got an exact quote yet, but it looks like it'll be $700 USD, which unfortunately for me is more than what it's actually costing me to get the bike from LA to Sydney, but I think that's just what I'm going to have to pay.

The bike doesn't need to be in LA until June 24. But the to get the import approval alone takes 3 weeks, so unless I get the relevant info soon, it'll be game over for me. I'm only doing this as I'm getting a bit of help with the shipment from LA to Sydney, otherwise I couldn't justify the cost.

Cheers - Craig

·
Flying Brit
1,817 Posts
If you need to look for other quotes I have been using this guy for all my shipping and he travels all over the US and is coming in this direction fairly soon. He is competitive on prices, fully insured and knows how to transport bikes properly.

[email protected]

·
Sophomore Member
3,120 Posts
Let me know if you need anything. I'm about two hours from Bellissimoto. I've been meaning to go visit their shop. I've heard nothing but praise of them.

·
Señor Member
8,300 Posts
Saturday evening I checked this thread to see if you would be needing my help. When I didn't see anything I assumed you either had made another choice or the details weren't worked out. Going to Knoxville to pick up the bike would have been a bit out of my way but not too much to help a "fren" in need. Same with taking it to Gardena, I would have helped. Would have given me an excuse to head down into LA area, something I don't normally do. Look, I drove 2250 miles in one direction to hang out with my frens for one full day, what's going an hour into town for another fren. As for the bike having to be clean, it rained on me the first five hours or more. My bike is not much dirty as it is just ugly looking from the rain. But that's all neither here nor there, now, since I'm already on the road going home and you still have details to work out on the bike. Next time, if it works out that way, I'll help who I can.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Next time, if it works out that way, I'll help who I can.
Not to cut out everything this guy said, but for clarity's sake, this about sums up why I consider this guy one of the best friends I've made since joining this site. Hands down, a stand up guy and never one to be a glory hog or pre-madonna (See: Ritchie+Asslexio :D)

Your a good Man Red Potato!

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Not to cut out everything this guy said, but for clarity's sake, this about sums up why I consider this guy one of the best friends I've made since joining this site. Hands down, a stand up guy and never one to be a glory hog or pre-madonna (See: Ritchie+Asslexio :D)

Your a good Man Red Potato!
it's "prima-donna", and, thank you.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Nope. I got it right, you were born just before Madonna became famous.
LOL!!!!!!! ok, I'm done jacking this dude's thread... i wonder if redpato is dreaming about where he was pre-madonna... poor dude is driving insane miles. I'm flying over... some fly-over state at the moment working on my pc and feeling damn guilty about it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts