Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Free ST2...but needs help. Where do I start?

10K views 74 replies 28 participants last post by  Skulls 
#1 ·
How I came into my 98 ST2...

Boss' daughter: Do you know anything about the repo guys that come take old motorcycles to the dump?

Me: No - and old motorcycles don't go to the dump. Usually, they are sold, parted out or given away. Also, "repo guys" don't go to the dump with anything they have repoed.

BD: Well, my husband was going to pay these guys to come take his motorcycle away.

Me: What? The Ducati?

BD: Yeah. It's just been sitting and he doesn't want anything to do with it anymore.

Me: Hell, don't pay someone to take it away. I'll come get it tonight and it'll be out of his life. Call him right now and let him know.

Long story short, within a few hours, the bike was in my driveway with a clean title in my hand. The bike does not run due in large part to it sitting for a while. I figure that a new battery, fluids and some misc. work and a tuneup will be in order. In any case, I always wondered how people got so lucky with deals like this and now I have a story of my own to tell.

I wonder if anyone will actually read this. Gotta love the "new guy" sections on forums. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
While I am here and before I start using the "search" function or asking dumb questions in the big-boy forum, maybe some advice could be given.

As stated above, the bike sat for a couple of years. I was told that it was running when it was parked. That being said, I'm not sure how well it was running. The guy who let it go is an honest guy but not mechanically inclined - hence the current state of the bike. Basically, he couldn't wrench on it himself and couldn't afford to have someone else do it for him. I just want to get it up and running before I delve too far into the project and would like some opinions/tips/advice.

I am sound enough in my understanding of automotive wrenching and have most of the tools to do most of the work myself. On the other hand, I have never owned a Ducati prior to this (although I've always wanted one).

Aside from changing fluids, plugs, battery and other misc. items, is there anything else (odd Ducati gremlins that I don't know about) I should look at before taking the plunge into the ST2?

Thanks for the replies!

#5 ·
Welcome to the club. :D In addition to the regular battery/fluids I'd get a set of cam belts, the ones on there may be deteriorated, it can't hurt to replace them. I'd do a general tune, balance the throttle bodies, check the valves.

The 98 ST2 is notorious for electrical/charging problems. I've solved mine by changing to a MOSFET regulator from a kawasaki. That plus replacing some wiring.

Once you get that sorted, its a very reliable bike. I've done plenty of thousand plus mile trips without so much as any hiccups.

#6 · (Edited)
Actual miles are in question but I wouldn't be surprised if it's past the 50k mark. I'll sort that out later.

The bad...
The seat is dead.
No hard cases/saddlebags.
Clutch lever is broken but usable.
One of the exhaust mounts is bent.
Plugs, fluids, battery, battery wiring, cam belts need replacing.
There is some sun damage/fading on some of the plastic bits.

The good...
It was free.
It has a clean title.
Fairings are rash free but do show many miles.
It is a Ducati.

#9 ·
Actual miles are in question but I wouldn't be surprised if it's past the 50k mark. I'll sort that out later.
Hmm I doubt that the ST2 has a LCD display for the mileage. Check the speedo out as the odo should be the old manual tick over type!! The display has temp, gas gauge and time.

I would love a free ST2. Great find there. Enjoy!!

#8 ·
dang, for free - you can spend freely on getting that bike restored to tip-top condition and still come out ahead.

You have the pannier frames, so all you need to do is pick up a set of cases used. That shouldn't cost more than $300.

Give the bike TLC with all the aforementioned mechanical maintenance and you should have yourself a very nice ride.

For free, damn, some people have all the luck!

#12 ·
Clean it up, do a full service and ride it till the wheels fall off.

But... Free motorcycles, especially the Italian ones, can be very expensive. eBay needs be a desktop icon on your PC now!

#13 ·
Way cool. Change the belts. Smell the petrol to see if it's sour or not. If you think it is bad, drain the tank. refill with a couple gallons of fresh (regular should be good). PLUS a 1/2 bottle of Chevron Techron. Get that stuff circulating by just turning the key on for 2 seconds, and back off. Repeat a few times. Let it sit overnight. It really helps clean up the injectors and FI system.

#14 ·
On the rectifier/regulator - with that many miles, maybe a PO has done the mods already. If it's mounted out in the airflow (under front forks or in front of license plate for example), someone has already moved it. See if it's the stock unit or a replacement. Check the wires to it - are they brittle, discolored? Check the connector on the wires going to it - has there been heat - any melted plastic, etc.? Mine had already been replaced several times, then moved and the wiring replaced when I bought the bike.

#15 ·
Funny, my 1998 ST2 had the factory RR, and NEVER let me down. It did melt the AC wiring connector going to the RR, but that was an easy fix (bypass it with solder + heat-shrink). I think the cause was my "new" AGM battery that I installed. I believe it stressed the charging system the first few times I used it.

#16 ·
Ow - you were lucky! The original owner of my replaced 2 RR's, then got a 3rd one mounted on a metal plate in front of the license plate (that is, under the rear fender and in the airflow) and redid the wiring at the same time.

#17 ·
I would say, Pull off the fuel tank and clean it out. Pull the pump assembly from the bottom and really clean it. Replace the fuel hoses[injection line] make sure you use the right size clamps for the hose size you get[not all compatible] or you'll have blown off fuel lines and end up doing it again.
Replace the fuel filter, make sure the pump works while you have it out[you may need to purge it]. Check this forum for compatible replacement parts to save money. Get NEW belts replace them. Replace the tires, before you crash on old hard junk rubber[been there done that]. Get it running first, BUT DON't do much ridin. Even New rubber is slippery, remember, about 100miles before they work well.
After it's running, worry about the throttle sync. and the valve adjust, and the wiring, etc. etc.
Belts and fuel system, see if it runs okay. Chances are it will.

#18 ·
I recently got a 98 ST given to me also. I have cleaned the tank out, replaced the front wiring harness, new fuel and air filter, fuel pump, new tires, and new battery and she started right up. I still have to get a chain and sprocket set and then on to valve adjustment and belt replacement. Then I think I will have a good ride at that point. Good luck with yours and you can't beat the price! lol

#19 ·
Change the belts before starting the engine , they could be very risky and 'go' at any time. Cost of a rebuilt 73,000 K engine would probably outway the value of the bike even free.

Apart from that , this has to be the project bike of the year , cost wise and you wont be short of tips and recomendations on how to proceed on this forum.

Good luck and enjoy the trip :)

#20 ·
I must be used to some other forums, because I am surprised no one has said this yet.

"Even for free that will be too much work and too much money to spend. I'll come take that money pit off your hands and save you the trouble and agrivation"

:D:D

#21 ·
This may be a no brainer, but check the compression of the cylinders. There should only be a 15% variance. If it is bigger then you've got heavy decisions to make. Been there, done that.

#23 ·
Thanks for all the input! The project will most likely be slow-going as I don't have a ton of time and money until my condo sells.

As a side note, I talkied to the guy who gave it to me and he said he has the saddlebags/hard cases somewhere and will get them to me when he finally digs them out of storage.

I look forward to wrenching on it and being part of the communtiy.

If there are things to look for that are not present in this thread, jot them down (if you wouldn't mind).

Thanks again!

#24 ·
Updates for anyone who might've read this thread or contributed.

Well, the project sat in my driveway for a few weeks before I made a decision to move it to my father's house. He is a better mechanic than I, has more time/money to work on the project and has a nice big garage that helps out tremendously this time of year. After a bit of work to get it over there (the truck and myself both earned our man-cards that day), work was finally starting on it. That being said, below is what has transpired thus far.

New parts include...
Battery, Spark Plugs, Belts, Oil Screen/Plug.

Flushed and refilled...
Brake Fluid, Coolant, Engine Oil.

Cleaned Up...
Gas Tank, Wiring, Gunk/Grime, Airbox/Filter (K&N), Gas Tank (the absolute worst part of the project so far)

Repaired...
Bits of Wiring, Exhaust Hanger

There are still a few more things to do. The gas tank was full of bad gas. After a good scrub and thorough cleaning, it was put back on the bike and partially filled with gas. Fuel ended up all over the damn place. I'm not entirely sure why I didn't think to replace anything that might've sealed it off. I guess I was too excited to get it back together. Go figure.

I think it is probably fair to say that the fuel lines and filter will need replacing thanks to the fuel that had gone sour from the long sit. While I am on the fuel kick, I may even need to replace the pump. If anyone has thoughts on this, let me know.

Lastly, After cleaning up the wiring and making sure all the contact points were in good shape, we hooked up the battery. It was pretty exciting to see the dash and all the lights come to life.

In any case, thanks for reading. I am still new to the world of Ducati so this thread doesn't really offer the same satisfaction to it's readers as it does to it's author but I am appreciative to those who have contributed here with thoughts, ideas, tips/tricks and opinions.

#27 ·
While I am on the fuel kick, I may even need to replace the pump.
Why do you think you may need to replace the fuel pump ?
Can you hear it priming when you turn the ignition on ?
Even if you can't hear it priming, it doesn't necessarily mean the pump's shot - it's more likely to be an electrical relay issue.

#25 ·
Cool. If the fuel pump cycles on with the key and then shuts off after a few seconds, I'd leave it until it proves to be bad. I just fired up my 916 with a pump assembly I got off eBay that looked pretty rough, but after cleaning up new filter lines and seals, it seems fine. What you really do need to do is replace the filter, internal fuel lines (really only the pressure side of the pump unless the others look bad), and that big o ring on the pump flange. Look in the sticky above for alternate parts unless you like paying $14.00 for a $3.00 o-ring. Likewise for the filter. Most of us have been using the very inexpensive NAPA part for a long time.

#30 ·
Small update...

I managed to get the fuel lines, filter and the new O-ring for the tank sorted out. No more leaks! The fuel pump is kicking on with the ignition on so no problems there. I do think the injectors could use a good servicing so that's next on the list.

Anyone here dealt with ST2 injectors? Any suggestions for doing it myself or sending them out to someone to have them cleaned/serviced? Is there a good supplier for them if I need to order new ones?

Thanks again for all the help. I can't say how informative this forum is compared to others I have frequented in the past.

*Forgot to add that I snagged a used exhaust for the bike. It'll take some fab work to get it to work thanks to the ST2s no-ducati-like dual swingarm but I'm not afraid of a little side project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.