Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the last couple of days it seemed like my GT had a bit of side-to-side wobble while riding in a straight line. I put the rear wheel up on a stand today and found that there's a bit of play when I wiggle the rear wheel from side to side. Is there anything quick and easy I can do to take up this slack or do I need to replace the rear axle bushing? I'm due for the 24000 km (15000 mi) service in 2 weeks so if it takes any significant work I'll just leave it for the dealer to take care of.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I found the same problem with my GT, which turned out to have end float on the swinging arm pivot. If you search my previous posts you will see my tale, but basically, the swinging arm had been pulled together at the wheel spindle, creating end float at the pivot. When I undid the pivot grub screw, with the wheel removed to reshim the swinging arm, the play disappeared.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
I expect that Duccout has provided the answer here, but if one is having a similar experience while riding and no serious play is found in the pivot there can be another explanation: Severe sprocket wear. See below

-don

·
Registered
985 Posts
Don,

Thanks for posting this short article.

I cannot imagine caring for the chain in the way that the author says that he did, and not noticing the extreme wear to the sprocket!

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Thanks for posting this short article.

I cannot imagine caring for the chain in the way that the author says that he did, and not noticing the extreme wear to the sprocket!
Anyone who knows him will tell you that that author is a complete idiot.

-don

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the same problem with my GT, which turned out to have end float on the swinging arm pivot. If you search my previous posts you will see my tale, but basically, the swinging arm had been pulled together at the wheel spindle, creating end float at the pivot. When I undid the pivot grub screw, with the wheel removed to reshim the swinging arm, the play disappeared.
From what I checked, the problem is definitely not in swingarm pivot but rather more likely in the wheel/axle bearing. The wheel wobbles a bit while the swingarm remains statonary on the stand. Just curious if there's a temporary fix before replacing the bearing which I think I need to do.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
A quick check to see if it is the swinging arm (in case you don't know) is to grasp the swinging arm tube near the pivot and push and pull it from side to side. If there is no end float then maybe a wheel bearing has failed.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A quick check to see if it is the swinging arm (in case you don't know) is to grasp the swinging arm tube near the pivot and push and pull it from side to side. If there is no end float then maybe a wheel bearing has failed.
Thanks Duccout. I'll double check that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts