Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if my warranty covers free pick up and delivery of the bike for warranty work? Bike is a week old and has an oil leak that will require the dealership to have the bike for at least for a full day. The bike is rideable but I don't want to inconvenience anyone for a ride. I bought the bike from a dealer from another region and the local shop here said they have to charge for the pickup and delivery despite warranty because I did not purchase the bike from them. Which I thought was a really lame response, shouldn't matter where you bought the new bike, a ducati dealership should support the brand that they are selling regardless if they sold the bike or not. They have no demos for me take even for one day.

Your thoughts, should I call Ducati support?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The warranty only covers a roadside assistance if it breaks down. I don't think any motorcycle manufacturer provides loaner bikes like BMW or Mercedes car dealers. The only loaners I've heard of are because the customer has a history of buying from the dealer and they do it to help the customer knowing that they'll likely get future business.

If you are discount shopping and buying elsewhere and expecting the local dealer to help you out only by giving them warranty work, then you may need to reevaluate. Most of the dealers I've used really don't like warranty work anyway. Since they can do most repairs up to $300 without authorization, Ducati could stiff them on the $300 if they chose to do so.

Sadly this is a common strategy in the online shopping world. Reminds me of two things 1) Joe Dirt and UNICEF bit 2) People who camp out at Starbucks, don't buy anything and use the free wifi...

Maybe one day UNICEF will get into the motorcycle warranty business...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree 100 percent. It's the same when you go shopping for a car out of town and then want your local dealer to bend over backwards for you when you have a problem. Unfortunately, I believe that's the case with most any purchase these days. Make you think twice before "getting a deal"

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
so, it seems you threw your local dealer under the bus for few $$ (basically took money out of their pockets) and now want to call Ducati corporate office and complain that they will not give you free pick up which will cost them even more money out of pocket...

See if you would do the same for your client (employer) after they shaft you on the job by giving it to a competitor (or gave your bonus to coworker) and then ask to come pick them up from the airport or something... taking time off of work, unpaid...

Just a perspective from the other side to help you understand.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so, it seems you threw your local dealer under the bus for few $$ (basically took money out of their pockets) and now want to call Ducati corporate office and complain that they will not give you free pick up which will cost them even more money out of pocket...

See if you would do the same for your client (employer) after they shaft you on the job by giving it to a competitor (or gave your bonus to coworker) and then ask to come pick them up from the airport or something... taking time off of work, unpaid...

Just a perspective from the other side to help you understand.
I took advantage of Ducati's promotional offer of $2,500 credit on the leftover 14's. I called the local dealer and they did not have any 14's left, not only did they not have any 15's, only the new 16's. Kind of slim picking on the 14's these days so yes, had to travel about 800 miles to get it but it's not like they aren't getting any money from me, as the local dealer would be the shop that will service the bike. Warranty work is warranty work, they get reimbursed from corporate. They should stand behind their product, regardless where the bike is bought. It's called customer service. Not sure how much the scheduled major services cost at this point, but I'm planning to get it done here. Actually, the local dealer is profiting off the sale of this bike more than where I bought it from. As service and parts are where the real margins are, not the sale of the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
No, you have to work a little harder to get free pickup for warranty work. Dealers,usually have distance limits even on paid pickup, it is really not a money maker evan at that. For the most part it is for roadside pickups or unridable bikes. Welcome to the world of Ducati, it's no different from the real world.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I worked for a dealer for a long time... first off you would be surprised at how little the factory reimburses the dealer, and being that this bike was purchased through another dealership this dealer is not obligated to do the warranty work. So the fact they do not want to send a tow truck to pick up your bike is totally understandable... just ride it to the dealer then catch an Uber to where ever you need to go.

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
Pretty sure the dealer CAN NOT turn away warranty work, IFAIK they are obligated to complete any warranty repairs, regardless who sold the bike, however free delivery and pick up is something they are offering on their own free will, nothing to do with Ducati.

SO the answer to original question, NO, warranty only covers repairs.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Pretty sure the dealer CAN NOT turn away warranty work, IFAIK they are obligated to complete any warranty repairs, regardless who sold the bike, however free delivery and pick up is something they are offering on their own free will, nothing to do with Ducati.
when I worked for the dealer we denied warranty work all the time, usually because something was damaged or obviously abused.. my boss owned the dealership and he was the biggest tight ass when it came to money.

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
when I worked for the dealer we denied warranty work all the time, usually because something was damaged or obviously abused.. my boss owned the dealership and he was the biggest tight ass when it came to money.
Denied based on it NOT being warranty, otherwise kiss your franchise goodbye...

Ultimately it's a company tech rep not the dealership employee who decides if it's a defect or abuse, otherwise some less than honest dealers could make some shady decisions...

·
Registered
20 Posts
+1 for ride it over and uber back, bring pastry. I've also never even heard of a loaner bike, it's not a car, these things crash all the time and sometimespace they just fall over.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
+1 for ride it over and uber back, bring pastry. I've also never even heard of a loaner bike, it's not a car, these things crash all the time and sometimespace they just fall over.
In my opinion, the MTS and then brand name Ducati along with a price tag that is worth just as much as a car warrants the same customer service as a car, whether it's a loaner or a courtesy customer pickup or return. Anyways, when I left the dealership after the warranty repair and the bike died on me 10 minutes later, and had to be hauled away, they did offer a complimentary delivery for the bike to be returned. I elected to be picked up, I wanted to ride the bike back. All good now, the shop offered to comp my next service.

·
Registered
113 Posts
In my opinion, the MTS and then brand name Ducati along with a price tag that is worth just as much as a car warrants the same customer service as a car, whether it's a loaner or a courtesy customer pickup or return. Anyways, when I left the dealership after the warranty repair and the bike died on me 10 minutes later, and had to be hauled away, they did offer a complimentary delivery for the bike to be returned. I elected to be picked up, I wanted to ride the bike back. All good now, the shop offered to comp my next service.
$20 says the bike will be in for more work before your next scheduled service. The quality of these bikes is seriosuly alarming. Cant trust a 100 mile ride on any Duc Ive owned without worrying of breaking down. Terribly sad.....:frown2:

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
$20 says the bike will be in for more work before your next scheduled service. The quality of these bikes is seriosuly alarming. Cant trust a 100 mile ride on any Duc Ive owned without worrying of breaking down. Terribly sad.....:frown2:

:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts