Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the cam timing adjusted. Stock is 115 in lobe center. I had my cams adjusted to 112 in lobe center.

It does make a difference. Free (almost) horse power.

Highly recommended.

;-)

Francesco

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I just had the cam timing adjusted. Stock is 115 in lobe center. I had my cams adjusted to 112 in lobe center.

It does make a difference. Free (almost) horse power.

Highly recommended.

;-)

Francesco
You should have dynoed before & after, just to be sure. :rolleyes: Aloha Alex

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Only your dyno knows for sure...

Hmmm...

If there is truly a diiference, I wonder whether you're feeling an improvement in horsepower or torque?

Where in the RPM range do you perceive an improvement?

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Retarding cam timing generally shifts the power band higher in the RPM range. Unless the timing was way off from the factory, adjusting timing in itself will only shift and not significantly increase max power.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Retarding cam timing generally shifts the power band higher in the RPM range. Unless the timing was way off from the factory, adjusting timing in itself will only shift and not significantly increase max power.
Well, it's not really "retarding". As a matter of fact is advancing: You are measuring in lobe center.

My cams were 118 whereas stock should be 115. So they were 3° retarded.

Advancing them to 112, the engine is getting more fuel from intake valve, hence the increased performance.

@ Bill: you can feel the difference across the spectrum, low to high RPM range. It does feel like a different bike to me now.
@ Alex: I know, I should have dynoed it. Maybe this can be your next project? ;-)

Francesco

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Francesco, you're right, you advanced the cams. I'm directionally impaired! More info on cam timing here... http://www.bikeboy.org/camtime2v.html

Well, it's not really "retarding". As a matter of fact is advancing: You are measuring in lobe center.

My cams were 118 whereas stock should be 115. So they were 3° retarded.

Advancing them to 112, the engine is getting more fuel from intake valve, hence the increased performance.

@ Bill: you can feel the difference across the spectrum, low to high RPM range. It does feel like a different bike to me now.
@ Alex: I know, I should have dynoed it. Maybe this can be your next project? ;-)

Francesco

1 - 9 of 9 Posts