Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have frankenduc finished. It is essentially a late 999 chassis with an 1198 drivetrain and electronics. Mark @Ducshop tuned her a couple weekends ago. Hopefully the rain stays away this weekend so I can give it her maiden thrashing at our local track. This thing is a beast from what I could tell just riding her around my block. Had to use a gripone TC/wheelie control unit to keep her nose on the ground. ?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Awesome! It's nice to see that work done on a 999. Enjoy it, and let us know what you think after a day at the track.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Any specs regarding weight or power?
So power ratings can read differently depending on the dyno but Mark's @Ducshop dyno showed ~160HP/90ftlbs torque to the wheels on ethanol free 93 octane pump gas with a little 100 octane mixed in cause I didn't drain out all the race gas from my previous build. That was also running slicks, which apparently deflect a bit and will reduce the power on a dyno, according to Mark.

The torque maxed out at around 3K and stayed flat until around 9K. Horsepower peaked at around 8500, I believe. Mark compared the run to a fully built, high compression 1098 bike, that he built a while back and the numbers were almost identical. My engine is a stock 1198 engine with exception of the airbox and exhaust, obviously.

I have no idea on weight. I have never weighed the bike.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just finished the first trackday with Frankenduc. The bike is amazing. It is faaaaaaaaast. It truly is a formidable track weapon now. It ran very strong and never failed me, once. The Gripone Leone traction control is unbelievably awesome. The only hicup seems to be that the factory quickshifter, running through the Microtec, seems to interfere or be interfered by the Gripone unit. I'm sure I can tweak some things to make them work better together. Other than that, the day was a huge success. What a great feeling to know that a project you had sunk two years into worked out far better than one would have ever expected.

Here's the link to the Gripone unit that I have. It does not use wheel, hall sensors. It has a ECU and a three axis accelerometer and that's it. It is Italian black vodoo magic but it works awesome. It provides both traction control and wheelie control.

https://www.gripone.com/gripone-leone/

NOTE: If you order one, please don't forget to add the proprietary USB cable to your cart as it does not come with that cable and the cable cannot be sourced elsewhere. Honestly, they should just include the freaking cable and bump the kit price a bit. It's just stupid to sell it separately as you need it to make fine tooth adjustments to the settings. :/ Anyway, don't be a dingy like me and pay $30 extra shipping for the cable because you missed the fine print disclaimer.

That's my good buddy's 1098 in the foreground. He's not running away from me anymore. ;)

Cheers!

Attachments

Reactions: Sherpa23F

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Why does the tank sit so high? Is it because you are using a 1198 air box? And if so, what are you using for air tubes, if any.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Why does the tank sit so high? Is it because you are using a 1198 air box? And if so, what are you using for air tubes, if any.
I am using a modified Bursi Evolution lower airbox and a factory 999 lid. You have to space the tank up a bit to make this work and I am currently using some 25mm spacers and agree it's a bit high. I've going to move to 20mm spacers. That is about as low as you can go and still allow the fuel fittings to clear the vertical valve cover. I am using factory CM Compsite supersrock carbon air runners that I picked up from Forza Moto.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
A few things. The way the tank sits looks more like an eyesore than a hinderance. The large R tank isn’t necessary unless you are doing full blown Superbikeparts races. Post a couple of pics of the injection and stack setup. And if you feel the need to lower the tank I can possibly give a few pointers to bring it down. My tank fits perfectly over the setup I did with my conversion. And for what it’s worth, my throttle bodies are fully enclosed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A few things. The way the tank sits looks more like an eyesore than a hinderance. The large R tank isn’t necessary unless you are doing full blown Superbikeparts races. Post a couple of pics of the injection and stack setup. And if you feel the need to lower the tank I can possibly give a few pointers to bring it down. My tank fits perfectly over the setup I did with my conversion. And for what it’s worth, my throttle bodies are fully enclosed.
I'm 6'2" and actually like the larger tank. I used the 749R tank with my previous 999 HC setup. The taller tank gives me a lot more room on the side of the tank for my long legs and I actually like the way it allows me to hug the tank with my inside elbow while hanging off the thing in a corner. It also works perfectly as I usually only have to fill up with gas twice a trackday.

Attached is a photo of my injector setup. The setup uses a modified Bursi Evolution lower air box (had to be modified because they made it wrong), a set of throttle body velocity stack adapters from 2Moto for the 1198 TBs, Panigale 959 velocity stacks and injectors, and some Gates fuel lines because I couldn't figure out how to swap the fittings on the factory hard plastic lines without damaging them.

I'm am probably going to redo the lower airbox this next winter so that it has a better seal between the box and throttle bodies as I am currently using Uni filter foam for a seal. I would also like to see if I can get someone to make me a lower box out of carbon fiber. At the end of the day, I was running out of time and wanted to make something work for this season.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts