Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone own the Frank Thomas Velocita suit?

All of my riding gear to date has been expensive, name brand (Dainese, Vanson, Arai, Shoei, etc.) as I'm always concerned with safety, not that cost always guarantees quality.

I have a 2 piece custom Vanson leather suit that I've owned for years; however, always wanted a 1 piece suit for weekend twisty rides and track days. I can't justify spending $1K on a full suit at this time so I'm giving the FT a shot (should arrive tomorrow).

There are a lot of opinions regarding FT on the web, more positive than negative, but I've haven't read anyones specific experience with the Velocita suit. I would appreciate anyone's feedback from their experience with this suit or Frank Thomas in general.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, being that no one has replied to this post yet, I'll write my own review.

I received the FT Volocita (spelled Velocita on the Cyclegear website!!) 1 piece suit today. I was very skeptical about the quality for this price range until I got to see it first hand.

The quality of the leather, stitching and design are IMO amazing for this price range. It honestly seems more like a suit that is in the $600-700 price range. All the seams are double stitched and the non leather material is in all the right places providing comfort without sacrificing protection. The fit (for me ) is the next best thing to having a custom suit tailored to my body. The armor in the forearms and shoulders is substantial while the foam insert for the back should be replaced with something providing better protection. There is a pouch with a Velcro closer that will allow you to insert your own back protection.

As I realize color and finish are always a personal choice, the all black (not shiny) leather with minimal brand labels is perfect. Not so large and gaudy Frank Thomas name stitched on the right forearm and very small name tags on the wrist and neck closures are just right.

Without knowing how it will do in a lay down (I hope I never will) it appears to be as adequate a protective suit as those 3 times the price.

If you are on a budget or not I would recommend this suit. I just have to learn how to get out of the suit on my own, any advice would be appreciated. :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just picked up the same suit at Cycle gear today. Same color everything. I can not believe how nice it is for the money. I paid $300. It is now a closeout suit I think. They still had all colors and sizes. They also said they will stand behind the purchase If I not happy for any reason. I think it is a great buy.

3 Posts
I just got this suit as a gift for my B-Day!!!! :) I feel ya on wanting a 1 piece, but not being able to justify spending $1k+ on a suit when you already have plenty of gear. I love this suit! Ride Hard, Ride Smart, Ride Safe. My only issue with this suit is the knee pads. They are a little ruff and not that flexible. Someone said "like putting your knee against a 2x4 piece of wood." Lol. He was kinda right, but the more that I wear it, the more I don't feel it. I think I'm going to wear a knee sock or something to fix the issue, bc it is very apparent and slightly disturbing at first. Anyway, other than that, the suit is great. I haven't been down in it yet, and I hope that I never do, but the suit feels very thick and well made.

To take the suit off, unzip it and try to get as much of your neck/shoulders out of the suit as possible with out using too much energy. Then reach both of your hands back and grab one sleeve with the other hand and try to pull that arm off as much as possible. Repeat using the other hand and other sleeve. You should be able to wiggle out of the upper body half of the suit, and have no problem taking off the bottom half.

3 Posts
UPDATE: I've had the suit for about a month, and the stiff knee protectors have loosened up. This is a great suit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts