Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2006 749 from a guy recently but he had just bought it himself and never registered it. Multiple trips to the with different documents but the DMV still
would not transfer the title into my name so I could not register it. Decided to buy another frame with a Title. Read one post on here that talks about it but there were no pics. Thought I would post my experience and pics as I go along.

·
Super Moderator
26,128 Posts
Think I'd have sold it back to the guy who didn't legally own it in the first place and walk away.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Less trouble than a frame swap ;)
Did not know that you could buy those. Good to know. Would have to file off the original vin off and then try to use those with a hammer to inscribe the new vin into the frame? I had to buy the new frame to get a Title anyway.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think I'd have sold it back to the guy who didn't legally own it in the first place and walk away.
I tried to do so. He honestly believed that he had registered it (he provided registration paperwork when I bought it) and believed it had an electronic title. He had lost over $2000 on the deal.
He gave me power of attorney to get a title under his name but the DMV (different clerks) told me different things during my attempts to complete all the paperwork. Felt like I was dealing with the Russian government. Finally after I went to the regional DMV headquarters I was told "there was no record of it ever being registered in Florida". It was last titled in Missouri. Florida wont give "bonded" titles for vehicles last registered in another state. I would have to get a court order declaring I was the legal owner and then still pay all the taxes due from the previous owner and then pay all the taxes I owed. I tried to sell it on here in the classified section to anybody who wanted it as a track bike but nobody offers...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Less trouble than a frame swap ;)
Yeah...except the Ducati VIN is done in dot punches by a computer. Good luck replicating that. A standard number stamp kit isn't gonna help you there.........sean

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far disassembly going as planned. Taking pics, remove carefully, then lableing parts.Identifying what needs to be removed and what can be left in place. Power from battery box and the throttle cables go between frame trellis so will need to be removed. Otherwise my main concern is how hard it will be to get the steering column out of the frame. I plan to loosen the frame from the back first and then rotate the front end forward to a vertical position, remove front end, then reverse the order, replace front end in new frame, rotate back to secure rear end of frame.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Getting closer. I have the ignition lock, Air box, and all wiring harness moved out of the way. There is one coolant hose that has to be moved so I may end up draining the fluid. I was trying not to take parts off that were not directly attached to the frame but its like peeling back an onion, each layer reveals something else that has to be unbolted.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swapped it this weekend - I used 2 jacks and one set of jack stands with a cross bar to support the bike. Then with the help of 2 people to help hold and guide the parts and tighten everything back up - took off and swapped the frames. Went smoothly. I did not drain the oil or coolent fluids. The swing arm bolt is a large hex (thought I was going to have to go buy one big enough (Maybe 14mm?) - but read on here that the spark plug removal tool from the tool kit should fit and it did! Reassembly is now ongoing. Biggest pain was the removal and replacement of the airbox. Just very difficult to get it maneuvered in and out plus you have to disconnect the throttle cables and (Choke) cable from the handelbar ends and then reassemble those too. I decided to just remove and replace the same steering head bearings. Wiring harness had to be moved out of the way but all the connectors are unique so it is not confusing on how to reconnect them. Main task was just sorting the position for restrapping them onto the frame. Turn signal wires are not the same color so will have to see if those need to be switched once I reinstall the battery.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
If it makes you feel better , I remember years ago a member here had to swap out his stolen superbikes frame at a far away county’s sheriffs compound in order to get his bike back . ( thief’s altered the s/n but he could prove everything else was his .

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cant imagine doing it "off site". It took me many (20 ish?) hrs and I needed lots of room in my garage to safely stack parts as I removed them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts