Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I posted earlier, I am looking at getting a used Monster (SR4s most probably). Many have had the frame stickers removed (and gone)) for appearance sake, which is fine. But my question is, does anyone know if retaining these somewhere on the bike is necessary for legal reasons...particularly in Calif? I know that the VIN is on the frame elsewhere. I think these are "sound" and possibly "emissions" stickers...but I really do not know. Thanks for any help.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I think that they are only important to the DMV when you bring an out of state bike into California, or possibly re-register a bike that has fallen out of continuous registration. They will visually check the emissions stickers when you go to register it from the previous state.

Presumably, for a new bike, the dealer is proxy for the DMV, but as long as the bike is currently registered, you just go in, pay your tax and convert the plate to your name with the title.

I've never been asked to have the DMV inspect a bike that I bought new, or was already registered in CA.

At least that's been my experience.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, in CA they should be left on for legal reasons. Like you said they're for sound, emissions, etc. and prove compliance. The charcoal canister and the stock exhaust also should not be removed or altered.

That being said, they're hideous and the first thing I pulled off of my M696 and M1100 were the stickers... followed shortly by the charcoal canister and the stock exhaust. :D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yes, in CA they should be left on for legal reasons. Like you said they're for sound, emissions, etc. and prove compliance. The charcoal canister and the stock exhaust also should not be removed or altered.

That being said, they're hideous and the first thing I pulled off of my M696 and M1100 were the stickers... followed shortly by the charcoal canister and the stock exhaust. :D
You should also never exceed 65mph on the freeway or posted speed limits on local mountain roads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts