Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to get the general opinion here...are Frame Sliders that important on a Hyper. I don't plan on taking my bike to the track (street only). From the pictures that I've seen they don't even look like they would protect the bike that well if tipped + there is a lot of other things I would rather spend $150 (roughly) on!

Later -

·
Registered
341 Posts
the idea behind a frame slider is to minimize damage, no prevent damage, the bars on the hyper are the first thing to go from what I have seen around the different forums and in person, there is no way around it but that being said it could be worse, leave the frame sliders off the bike and you will see how much worse it can get.

·
Premium Member
2016 KTM Super Duke 1090R
189 Posts
they are worth the $$ IMHO

·
Registered
236 Posts
bit of a catch 22 really as they can increase the chances of your hyper catching on something and flipping (causing even more damage) if you lowside.

but then again it doesnt take much to write of a Duc nowadays.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have my insurance to cover a mishap, I have seen frame sliders get wrenched on impact and crack cases causing a complete engine dismantle to repair.

I agree with Col as well, useful for track but not the ultimate for the road where the variables are much greater, just my opinion tho.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've always had them. My Monster was kncked over once a week in Manhattan and they saved it. Dropped the bike at 15mph and they saved it then too. If you lowside and they flip the bike you had no shot to save it either way IMHO.

·
Registered
426 Posts
the idea behind a frame slider is to minimize damage, no prevent damage, the bars on the hyper are the first thing to go from what I have seen around the different forums and in person, there is no way around it but that being said it could be worse, leave the frame sliders off the bike and you will see how much worse it can get.
Why not approach it properly and replace the bars with a decent set and some real barkbusters. I have pro taper bars and acerbis supermoto guards. I put mine down at the track and it held up fine. The frame sliders can transfer force into the engine mounts. If you have axle sliders plus a propoer set of bars and guards the main unprotected part of the bike is the rear/exhaust. I am getting some sliders made up to mount to the subframe to protect my exhaust. I won't be fitting frame sliders

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Why not approach it properly and replace the bars with a decent set and some real barkbusters. I have pro taper bars and acerbis supermoto guards. I put mine down at the track and it held up fine. The frame sliders can transfer force into the engine mounts. If you have axle sliders plus a propoer set of bars and guards the main unprotected part of the bike is the rear/exhaust.
+1 absolutely right, the best protection for your bike is a new bar (any bar will be better than the stock one) and real handguards.

I added sliders on my front wheels (from Harry at SME).

I did not put sliders at the back so I can use the stand, but I would love someone to come up with a slider on the swing arm, I think someone has CF to cover it, but a real slider patch would be better (no worry on the other side).

I am getting some sliders made up to mount to the subframe to protect my exhaust. I won't be fitting frame sliders
Our under seat Leo Vinci are well protected:D

·
Registered
238 Posts
I too was advised by an extremely reliable source not to install frame sliders!

I had some on my 748 and the whole slider just snapped off leaving the threaded piece in the frame! The fall was at approx 12mph! It def wasn't worth anything but a headache of the aftermath!

Also cracked cases have been reported from frame sliders!

Just giving my experience and what I've been advised!

I too will NOT install frame sliders!

Fork sliders is all I'll put on.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Our under seat Leo Vinci are well protected:D
Cassos - I have the termi 2-1-2 underseat exhaust. The main reason i got these was becasue they are better protected than the 2-1 termis. When i dropped it I broke the carbon cover and bent the link pipe between the cans. When i get it repaired I will be getting the pipes shortened as i think they look to long, but also so they are not as damage prone. I am hoping sliders on the subframe will hopefully stop any damage to the carbon covers. The steel subframe looks very sturdy and it should be able to take a hit well without bending.

·
Registered
18 Posts
get-em - and even if you ride like a girlie man - no offense ladies - when the bike is parked it'll at least look like you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bending frames?

A local Duc-focused shop with race experience cautions against frame sliders, arguing that they can bend the frame on impact in a crash. I don't know the answer to that - others heard of that?

In a tip-over sliders should help.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think that sliders are the ugliest things to ever happen to motorcycles! Especially on a bike as gorgeous as a Ducati, it's a sacrilege.
I've always found that for the same cost as sliders, you can pay for crash insurance on your policy & get the whole bike replaced if necessary, instead of riding around with ugly knobs sticking out of your bike.
OK, I've put on the Nomex, so flame away!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have my insurance to cover a mishap, I have seen frame sliders get wrenched on impact and crack cases causing a complete engine dismantle to repair.

I agree with Col as well, useful for track but not the ultimate for the road where the variables are much greater, just my opinion tho.
I'd say the exact opposite. More important on the street than the track. A track lowside is likely to be much, much faster and the bike is more likely to wind up sliding off the track and through the dirt, at which time it might catch on the slider and flip. Street crash is much more likely to involve more pavement and less grass/dirt. And the biggest value of a slider to a street rider is often simply saving you from the damage of the deadly driveway tipover. Hell of a lot cheaper to replace a bobbin on your slider than bodywork.

There is always the risk, in certain situations, of a slider doing more bad than good, but overall I think they probability is greater that they'll be of positive benefit. But everyone has a story of how their buddy's sister's cousin once knew a guy, who knew a guy, who sold a bike to a guy, who lowsided and had the slider catch and either bend the frame or flip the bike.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Why not approach it properly and replace the bars with a decent set and some real barkbusters. I have pro taper bars and acerbis supermoto guards. I put mine down at the track and it held up fine. The frame sliders can transfer force into the engine mounts. If you have axle sliders plus a propoer set of bars and guards the main unprotected part of the bike is the rear/exhaust. I am getting some sliders made up to mount to the subframe to protect my exhaust. I won't be fitting frame sliders
If they're properly designed, the bobbin should snap before a force strong enough to bend the bolt of the engine mounting points are reached. In a crash that hard, you're fubar anyway and sliders or no sliders is probably not going to matter.. There were some crap sliders (CycleCat's original ones for example, IIRC) that were poorly designed and too strong and the force was just passing through and doing serious damage.

In 26 years of street riding, I have only had one of my bikes ever tip over and I'm seriously glad I had sliders on it when it did or I would have been out a ton of dough.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts