Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to attend my first track day and school this spring and was hoping to get some advice on what brand / type of frame sliders everyone has used. I do plan on keeping the rubber side down, but I thought I might play it safe. I ride a 2007 mono. Everyone's comments and suggestions are welcome

·
Senior Italophile
865 Posts
This subject just came up last week.
Frame sliders are a no no for our bikes as you run a big chance of cracking the case where the bolt goes thru the frame.
Bar end and axle sliders are the norm.

·
Registered
724 Posts
This subject just came up last week.
Frame sliders are a no no for our bikes as you run a big chance of cracking the case where the bolt goes thru the frame.
Bar end and axle sliders are the norm.
I have the MOTOVATION brand sliders on both axles and on the frame. I low sided about 2 months ago and had no problems. those sliders worked extremely good and saved me lots of money on damages. The slider took a nasty hit and did great. I also tore the rear slider and it saved my swingarm.
LOVE 'EM!:)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
you don't need frame sliders unless you have an S or a PS and want to protect your fairings.
your run the risk of bending your frame at the mounting point (depending on how you fall, obviously).
Axle sliders are good front and rear for monos, front only for bips.
bar-end sliders are a good idea.

I did a classic low-side on gravel back in october. without any sliders, the bike hit the ground at these points:
-right fork leg
-right clip-on (smashed my bar-end mirror, bent my CRG shorty lever, and bent the riser)
-rear-break lever
-right pipe.

not a scratch on the tank, engine/frame, or rear axle. Since I have a bip, the pipe took all of it on the rear.

right now I only have front axle sliders.

that's my 2 cents. others may have other opinions justified by different experiences.

have fun!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
+1

At least that's what a tech at the Ducshop told me when I asked about them. I hope I never have the opportunity to find out for sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have some experience too, unfortunately. I used a generic set of sliders and went of track, hit mud, and went down at a rather slow pace. I bent the mounting bolt for the slider with no damage to the bike.
My friend went down on his SS1000 and bent the mounting bolt for the slider. He also bent the frame's engine mount point. It could have been an expensive drop but everything seems ok.
I decided on using the Speedi-Moto sliders because they just seem to be stronger and I hope less resistant to bending. I would hope they resist bending and just slide like they're supposed to.
I also use front and rear axle sliders as both these areas can get beat up in a lowside.
Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but why aren't rear axle sliders good for bips?
Maybe because mono rear subframes are aluminum vs bips are steel, therefore a lot stronger. I have experienced two bent mono rear subframes -and bent one of them back into line successfully.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Thanks, but this just confuses me more. If the rear axle sliders mount to the swingarm, why does it matter what the subframe is made of?

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Why no rear axle sliders on BIP's

I have axle sliders on the front of my 1000S, but didn't put any on the back as I figured the stock exhaust system was good sacrificial protection :D

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have axle sliders on the front of my 1000S, but didn't put any on the back as I figured the stock exhaust system was good sacrificial protection
THAT makes sense. The sliders would have to be pretty beefy to hit before the cans. Do'oh!:think:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
THAT makes sense. The sliders would have to be pretty beefy to hit before the cans. Do'oh!:think:
yes, that's exactly the reason why you don't need REAR axle sliders on the bips: the cans (stock or termis at least) take the hit, so the swingam simply cannot hit the ground.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Any good places to get them online?

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I've got Cycle Cat frame sliders on my 07bip and it's saved my tank/mirrors/bars a couple of times. Dropped it in the dirt and all I got was a slightly dinged header and twisted brake lever. The slider took the brunt. Also a couple of stationary tipovers - nothing bent.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 21 Posts