Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put either Frame Sliders or Crash Bars on my 1200 ST. Crash bars seem heavy and not sure I like the look. Pros and Cons?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Are you looking for tip-over protection or crash protection?

tip-over, I'd opt for frame sliders. Off-road riding, crash bars.

I rarely go off road, and I'm with you I don't like the look of crash bars on the multi. I'm planning on sliders, I'm just looking for a garage tip over type of protection.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I've have Rizzoma Frame Sliders on the Tard and Multistrada. I also installed the Rizzoma water pump guard on the ms as well. I had an unfortunate get off on the Tard several years ago and was amazed how well they protected the bike. I had to repaint a tank shroud, buy a new set of bars, grips, hand guards and pads for the sliders, but otherwise bike was ridable. There was a photo posted a while back of a Multistrada that someone crashed with Alt Rider Crash Bars installed. It was hard to tell, but appeared the bars caused more damage and didn't look as if they held up. It was only a photo and impossible to know what actually happened.

·
Registered
750 Posts
There was a photo posted a while back of a Multistrada that someone crashed with Alt Rider Crash Bars installed. It was hard to tell, but appeared the bars caused more damage and didn't look as if they held up. It was only a photo and impossible to know what actually happened.
If we're thinking of the same incident, the guy ended up having to replace his VERY expensive radiator because the AltRider bars attach to the radiator mount points and apparently it tweaked the radiator badly enough that it couldn't be repaired. The question remained if that ended up costing him more or less than if he had no crash bars at all, but I think the consensus was the radiator cost more..... :eek:

-SM

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use the rizomas myself,, just check out their cataloge or do a quick search online. its a scale, the more bars and cages you put around your bike, the more it protects and consequently, the more dorky you'd look

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am also looking into crash protection for my multi. Where is the lug on the frame for the dp crash bars? A pic would be nice too. I have a 2010 and am not too sure if they will fit my bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I am also looking into crash protection for my multi. Where is the lug on the frame for the dp crash bars? A pic would be nice too. I have a 2010 and am not too sure if they will fit my bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com App
I bought the DP crash bars and realized after dismantling the bike that the '10 bikes lack a tab required that the later bikes have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ordered a set of Motivation sliders for my Pikes Peak the day before I left on my last trip. A little encounter with gravel in a decreasing radius turn and the Multi went down. The sliders may have saved a few expensive body parts. I agree, crash bars a little hard on the eyes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I put the DP crash bars on my 2012 Multi. They look fine IMO and the color matches the frame which was important to me. The others out there will not match. There heavy duty and nicely made which you would except from Ducati.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
116 Posts
Returned them for a c/f front fender. Seemed like the logical thing to do.
Naw, The right thing to do would be to pas them on to me. Free of charge of course. LOL

;)

Good choice for a alternate. Did the CF fender come with the extension on the back?

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Naw, The right thing to do would be to pas them on to me. Free of charge of course. LOL

;)

Good choice for a alternate. Did the CF fender come with the extension on the back?
No. Where do you find those? I'm not sure I would want to remove it again if required to install the extender.

·
Registered
116 Posts
No. Where do you find those? I'm not sure I would want to remove it again if required to install the extender.
Mine came with the ST version. I had to put it on myself. Bit of a PITA. You can order it off the Fiche. Its plastic thoigh.

·
Premium Member
2012 multistrada 1200 / 2019 hypermotard 950
346 Posts
I chose the altrider crashbars n crashbar slider from RevZilla. Easy instalation video on the site . I can prop my foot up on the sliders to cruise the highway. And the look is Boss...

Sent from my C771 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I chose the altrider crashbars n crashbar slider from RevZilla. Easy instalation video on the site . I can prop my foot up on the sliders to cruise the highway. And the look is Boss...

Sent from my C771 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Pictures please and with your foot/feet up on the sliders? I am thinking the same way. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2012 multistrada 1200 / 2019 hypermotard 950
346 Posts
Camera is giving me problems ,,,,

Hey ReaBear , If you go to RevZilla site they give you 2 or 3 different views of the Multi 1200 crashbars . They come in silver or black , i chose the silver and they match the silver trellis part of my frame nice . Also for a bit more money you can get the sliders to fit nice inline with ceash bar at the main thru bolt . I think i paid 550.00 for all of it . Adds a real nice touch to the bike . And like i said a different place to put your feet at times is a big help.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
thanks Troy! Thats exactly what I was looking for, human ergo's. That helped make the decision for me, the sliders can function as highway pegs and a better protected place for extra lights. Really for me the crash bars are for stopped or a LOW speed whoops; and a place for highway pegs and driving lights (if I go down at speed, insurance takes over and the bars are unlikely to do much). Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts