Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a SF848 and looking into getting some frame sliders.

Some say frame sliders only help for SLOW speed drops and at high speeds they can cause more damage then protection, especially to the frame. Anyone have good or bad experiences at higher speeds or track spills?

I was looking into Speedy Moto

Any input is appreciated

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have t-Rex racing frame sliders on my 1098 and they prevented major damage to the (new) clutch and the rest of the bike recently.

I ended up low siding going up a right hand turn at Palmer Motorpark last weekend, figure 65-70mph. Safe to say I’ll be purchasing replacements pucks

·
Bon Vivant
11,454 Posts
In my experience if you drop your bike in the garage they may protect parts of your bike. But if you like your bike to look prestine now you have to replace the slider which may or may not be more expensive than the part they protected. If you go down at speed they can not only cause frame damage they can also cause your bike to flip instead of slide. IMO they are not only ugly they can cause more damage to your bike and they can get you hurt as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Low side at 70km/h even sliding off road into a forest.

Only thing breaking was my left front flasher bracket, the tank slapper stop got bent a little and some minor paint scratches.

Frame slider all the way from experience. And I have a very hard time understanding how they can make the bike flip more that anything else since that didn’t happen in a forest with plenty of things to grab the slider and make it flip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
469 Posts
Get them, you'll be glad you did should you ever need them. 9/10 of the time you will be the only one who notices them, especially on a Streetfighter where there is so much eye candy to look at.

Yes there exists the risk of a slider catching and causing the bike to catch/tumble, however on the street that risk is far outweighed by the typical drop/lowside that sliders are designed for. I have seen many bikes saved by the use of sliders, and only one instance at the track where the sliders caused a tumble.

Speedymoto/MotovationUSA/Rizoma are great, however if you decide on Rizoma sliders, you won't even notice them yourself:

I recently purchased a SF848 and looking into getting some frame sliders.

Some say frame sliders only help for SLOW speed drops and at high speeds they can cause more damage then protection, especially to the frame. Anyone have good or bad experiences at higher speeds or track spills?

I was looking into Speedy Moto

Any input is appreciated

·
Registered
179 Posts
One of the only arguments against sliders I've ever heard is that they can 'catch' on slides and flip the bike.
For those of us that ride around Ducatis, you'll notice there's a lot of open framework and lots of things to catch anyway.
Seems to me that high speed crashes are a crap shoot, both for the bike and yourself.. They aren't for that. The sliders that is.

They're for slow and small, and do well with those types of incident.

I'm a little old fashioned with stickout puck sliders.. The Rizomas are so low profile. Do they actually clear the tank from the ground? I have no experience of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts