Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All - I am looking to install my frame Speedymoto Frame sliders, however I have read some different issues people run into.

Did a quick search before I posted and didn't see a how-to or this question asked so here goes..

I have seen the Youtube install on a Monster, does the SF (848 specifically) need the Jack to hold the engine in place? Is it necessary and or make the install go that much more smoothly?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Put a jack under the deep sump just for safety than thake 2 deep socket wrenches and take the nut off the bolt, when that's out put the frame slider shaft onto the old one and tap into that one so while the new one goes in the other comes out. After that is all a matter of centering it and put the sliders on and tighten everything back to specs.
Badabing!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put a jack under the deep sump just for safety than thake 2 deep socket wrenches and take the nut off the bolt, when that's out put the frame slider shaft onto the old one and tap into that one so while the new one goes in the other comes out. After that is all a matter of centering it and put the sliders on and tighten everything back to specs.
Badabing!
Nice!

Do you happen to have what spec is?

Thanks!!

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
^^^
What LaRossa said....
The concept of using the floor jack to lift the motor accomplishes two things.

A) Prevent engine slipping or pivoting down and

2) Sometimes the engine bolts have settled and are carrying the weight of the motor, by slightly lifting the motor and in some cases just losening the rear motor mount as well, this makes inserting the frame slider engine mounting rod a breeze. Otherwise the bolt can catch on the frame as it passes thru the engine. Not good for threads. I use a rubber mallet to put mine in for that authoritative yet gentle wack a doooo.

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
All - I am looking to install my frame Speedymoto Frame sliders, however I have read some different issues people run into.

Did a quick search before I posted and didn't see a how-to or this question asked so here goes..

I have seen the Youtube install on a Monster, does the SF (848 specifically) need the Jack to hold the engine in place? Is it necessary and or make the install go that much more smoothly?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
If you look in the FAQ you'll find a torque specs chart. :D

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
I used a floor jack under the sump to support the engine while changing out the bolt. On the 1098 motor (don't know about the 848) the engine mount bolts have shoulders on them unlike the traditional smooth shank bolt I had seen used on other earlier Ducati motors. If the bolt doesn't easily come out with some gentle tapping with a rubber/plastic mallet, then you probably need to adjust how much pressure you have supporting the engine. Don't try to drive it out if it doesn't come out reasonably easy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i'm not sure how different the SF is from the monster but the way i did it was i attached the one slider on the rod first. than i used a rubber hammer to hit it in place and as the new rod slides in, it will push the old rod out. but i guess to play it safe, put a jack below like what everyone else said. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I saw that you already finished the job, but for others who may come across this thread later...it is a good idea to place a piece of wood between the jack and header so nothing gets dented or damaged.

-Ray

·
Registered
80 Posts
I never even considered using a jack. I just undone the bolt and pushed it through with the bolt for the sliders. Job done. So much easier putting sliders on the SF compared to my old RSV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts