Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Frame plugs for the Streetfighter

13K views 66 replies 17 participants last post by  FlyingQ 
#1 ·
Does anybody make a kit of frame plugs for the SF?
It needs nine plugs, 3 sizes, same plugs (almost) as the 1098 but two more of the med size.

Let me know if you know where to get them. :D

#2 ·
We posted about this a while back but there is no set available apart from a $600 set from Japan. I think perhaps Motowheels was looking into it but nothing ever came of it. I am in for a set as well if someone makes something.

#8 ·
unfortunately the Rizomas only come in two sizes so you can't fully fit the frame with them.

You can outfit the bike with the STM plugs for a little over $200. Great quality and a unique design.
But you do have to figure out the sizes and buy them all separately, they don't have a specific kit for each bike.

I was thinking of having some kits made and I talked to a machinist near me about it.

It looks like we can make the set of 9 plugs for about $110 in raw aluminum and and probably around $130 annodized in any color you want.

Or we can do them with Titanium outer caps for about $235 for the set.

To give you an idea of why the Ti is so much: We checked McMaster Carr (just to get an idea on pricing)
A section of 1.25" x 12" titanium bar stock is about $170, the same size in 6061 aluminum is $7!

One of the big reasons I like the idea of titanium is that it keeps it's new appearance in raw form longer than just about any other material.
It won't oxidize like aluminum. In machined form the result is just beautiful.
And for anybody that want's to get really crazy we can probably also ti nitride coat them in black or gold.
I don't have a price for that but I'm sure it would be expensive.

The bottom line is the more people we have that want these things the better the price will be.
I have to pay a tooling and set-up fee and if we can spread that out over 5 or 10 sets I think I can get the prices down a bit further.

PM me if you are interested and if we get enough people we can move forward.

Hey guys I'm not trying to make any money on this and if Moto or one of the other vendors can offer us a better deal on a kit I'm in.
I just want to get these thing made and available since no-one else is doing it.

Right now the plan is to make them look like the ones on my 1098.
I tested a couple on my SF yesterday and Wow! it really looks nice!

Attachments

#9 ·
Mike
I am in but does the lowest frame plug fit properly? On the SF the lowest hole is sloped back in toward the bike and when I last tried to fit a frame plug into this it did not want to stay put. I think I see the same gap on your tricolore. Personally if they didn't have dimples I would be happy but hey whatever fills those ugly holes. I may paint them to match the frame I think if the titanium is not close enough in color.
Thanks for offering to pick this up and get it done. Come on you guys.... lets help him make this worthwhile.

#11 · (Edited)
Andrey,
The slash cut on the swingarm frame opening is the same on the SF as the 1098.
The way we will get around this is to add a spacer to those two plugs that puts the sealing o-ring into the tube.
Unfortunately the left side is not as deep on the SF as it is on the 1098 so I'll have to come up with a solution
for the left swingarm frame plug. But I'll come up with something that will work and stay put.

The outer cap will not follow the slash cut shape, it will look the same as the other plugs just like in the picture.

The titanium nor any anodizing will match the bronze frame color, raw titanium is much brighter.

I like the contrast but you need to decide what's right for your bike.

#14 ·
zwantedone, Right now I'm just concentrating on the Streetfighter and I can do the 10/1198 because they are the same (just two fewer than the SF).

I don't know what size your bikes need so I couldn't say if they would fit or not.
I'm not planning to make this into a business so I don't see branching out to other bikes/sizes.

sorry.

#15 · (Edited)
#17 ·
Those Motocorse frame plugs are insane! (gorgeous)

Please let us know a price and availability, maybe you'll save us all a lot of trouble?
I had them on my MV Brutale and they're out of this world, just like the rest of their products, I purchased the bike with them already on so I never knew how much they go for; I Emailed Moto Corse in Italy and as soon as I hear from them, you'll know, just brace yourself, none of their products is cheap!

#22 ·
I priced the Motocorse set this time last year and they were $600!!! it was nuts..... this is the set I referred to earlier.

#24 ·
Well, I havn't received a price from them yet but I believe it, is def. out of my price range but one thing I have to say, usually you get what you pay for, true perfection comes with a higher tag, like getting a Lambo and expect to pay Toyota price. They know they're the best and they price their products accordingly. So much for that!

#25 ·
You're right - they are sweet! I wouldn't even try to put all those crazy curves into each cap.

But we'll have true custom caps made from billet stock right here locally (and by a perfectionist craftsman as well) for a realistic price.

I'd love to have a set of those motocorse plugs but I can't afford that.

#27 ·
Davide Genghini from Motocorse has answered my Email by saying that the full set in aluminum goes for 200 Euros and the full set of Titanium is 335. The shipping is 25 Euros and they can send directly from the factory if anyone still interested. :)

#32 ·
Quite honestly, I have a set of bar ends made of Titanium and they're from Moto Corse from a previous bike I had so I went on and put them right next to the bronze frame of my S and I have to say, the Ti. doesn't look good at all in my opinion so I reEmailed them and asked them if they do anodised black aluminum plugs based on the fact that they do it to levers, so I'm waiting to get an answer from them and take it from there. I think the Ti. looks much better on a standard black frame and black on the bronze would be better. What do you think?

#33 · (Edited)
I certainly wouldn't put gold anodized on the bronze frame or Black anodized on the black frame.
But I love the look of the Ti on any color and I have raw Aluminum on my gold Tricolore frame. I think it looks fantastic.

You also have to remember that real machined Titanium is a very different finish than paint, powder, or anodizing in a so-called Titanium color!
Real Titanium is very shiny and unmistakable. It would look GREAT on the bronze frame IMO.

Of course the Raw aluminum or Ti is gonna look killer on my red frame so that's what I'm doing.
I think machined metal looks good with any color.

I don't normally like black parts. There are exceptions but Black as a rule creates a hole wherever it is, makes things look more like a shadow
than a material. I think it can work when you want to make things disappear but doesn't work when you want to project
or highlight an area. Machined metal projects sense of precision and Titanium adds a sense of rarity maybe even mystery!

Of course that's all opinion and you have to follow your own sense (or rejection) of aesthetics.
But hey I'm weird - I hated the flat bronze frame and wheels so much that I re-painted them.
I also strongly reject today's trend of fabricated false patina.

#34 ·
Flyn, I was thinking about the black just because the bike is black, on the bronze frame would be still noticeble but not bling, on the other hand you're right 100% by saying that anodising or painting a machined piece, MC piece of artwork in this case would be a sin so you're right, no doubt.
How long did it take to reassemble the whole bike when you painted the frame? :D

#36 ·
could someone please sum up in a post the colors we can chooce the material and how will they cost? which ones will be ordered?do we have a photo?

#39 ·
Let me know when you want me to send you some money. Don't mind paying now to help with material costs etc.

#40 · (Edited)
Thanks Andrey,
No need. I went over to the machinists last Tuesday and we got a solidworks rendering worked up and all the sizes put together.
We changed the design slightly so that these would be our own -
I designed them to look similar to the bolt cap on the exhaust bracket.

He is going to calculate costs and should get back to me soon.
I'm hoping he'll make a couple of prototypes that I can show you guys.
I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything.

In the mean-time it'd be nice to know what people are after:
Raw aluminum?
Anodized Aluminum - what color?
Raw Titanium ?

I'm going to do the Titanium.
Let me know what you guys want.

Here's a jpeg from the solidworks design

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.