Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
11,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody make a kit of frame plugs for the SF?
It needs nine plugs, 3 sizes, same plugs (almost) as the 1098 but two more of the med size.

Let me know if you know where to get them. :D

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
We posted about this a while back but there is no set available apart from a $600 set from Japan. I think perhaps Motowheels was looking into it but nothing ever came of it. I am in for a set as well if someone makes something.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Rizoma now have some for the SF. Come in Silver, black, red, gold and blue.
Listed on their website as 15 euros each.

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
rizoma has them too...

for 29e the pair...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I got mine from bayside - Sato racing ones ordered individually. I thinks it's 2 - 24mm and 3 20mm (assuming you have framesliders and not being able to get a proper one for the swingarm support holes)

·
Bon Vivant
11,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unfortunately the Rizomas only come in two sizes so you can't fully fit the frame with them.

You can outfit the bike with the STM plugs for a little over $200. Great quality and a unique design.
But you do have to figure out the sizes and buy them all separately, they don't have a specific kit for each bike.

I was thinking of having some kits made and I talked to a machinist near me about it.

It looks like we can make the set of 9 plugs for about $110 in raw aluminum and and probably around $130 annodized in any color you want.

Or we can do them with Titanium outer caps for about $235 for the set.

To give you an idea of why the Ti is so much: We checked McMaster Carr (just to get an idea on pricing)
A section of 1.25" x 12" titanium bar stock is about $170, the same size in 6061 aluminum is $7!

One of the big reasons I like the idea of titanium is that it keeps it's new appearance in raw form longer than just about any other material.
It won't oxidize like aluminum. In machined form the result is just beautiful.
And for anybody that want's to get really crazy we can probably also ti nitride coat them in black or gold.
I don't have a price for that but I'm sure it would be expensive.

The bottom line is the more people we have that want these things the better the price will be.
I have to pay a tooling and set-up fee and if we can spread that out over 5 or 10 sets I think I can get the prices down a bit further.

PM me if you are interested and if we get enough people we can move forward.

Hey guys I'm not trying to make any money on this and if Moto or one of the other vendors can offer us a better deal on a kit I'm in.
I just want to get these thing made and available since no-one else is doing it.

Right now the plan is to make them look like the ones on my 1098.
I tested a couple on my SF yesterday and Wow! it really looks nice!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Mike
I am in but does the lowest frame plug fit properly? On the SF the lowest hole is sloped back in toward the bike and when I last tried to fit a frame plug into this it did not want to stay put. I think I see the same gap on your tricolore. Personally if they didn't have dimples I would be happy but hey whatever fills those ugly holes. I may paint them to match the frame I think if the titanium is not close enough in color.
Thanks for offering to pick this up and get it done. Come on you guys.... lets help him make this worthwhile.

·
Bon Vivant
11,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Mike
I am in but does the lowest frame plug fit properly? On the SF the lowest hole is sloped back in toward the bike and when I last tried to fit a frame plug into this it did not want to stay put. I think I see the same gap on your tricolore. Personally if they didn't have dimples I would be happy but hey whatever fills those ugly holes. I may paint them to match the frame I think if the titanium is not close enough in color.
Thanks for offering to pick this up and get it done. Come on you guys.... lets help him make this worthwhile.
Andrey,
The slash cut on the swingarm frame opening is the same on the SF as the 1098.
The way we will get around this is to add a spacer to those two plugs that puts the sealing o-ring into the tube.
Unfortunately the left side is not as deep on the SF as it is on the 1098 so I'll have to come up with a solution
for the left swingarm frame plug. But I'll come up with something that will work and stay put.

The outer cap will not follow the slash cut shape, it will look the same as the other plugs just like in the picture.

The titanium nor any anodizing will match the bronze frame color, raw titanium is much brighter.

I like the contrast but you need to decide what's right for your bike.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
OK thanks Mike. I am still in for a set.....

·
Bon Vivant
11,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looking for a set for my ST4s and my 93 888SPO. If your plugs will fit, I'm in as well...
zwantedone, Right now I'm just concentrating on the Streetfighter and I can do the 10/1198 because they are the same (just two fewer than the SF).

I don't know what size your bikes need so I couldn't say if they would fit or not.
I'm not planning to make this into a business so I don't see branching out to other bikes/sizes.

sorry.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
11,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those Motocorse frame plugs are insane! (gorgeous)

Please let us know a price and availability, maybe you'll save us all a lot of trouble?

As far as the CNCracing - I want a full set not a partial set.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Those Motocorse frame plugs are insane! (gorgeous)

Please let us know a price and availability, maybe you'll save us all a lot of trouble?
I had them on my MV Brutale and they're out of this world, just like the rest of their products, I purchased the bike with them already on so I never knew how much they go for; I Emailed Moto Corse in Italy and as soon as I hear from them, you'll know, just brace yourself, none of their products is cheap!

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
I had them on my MV Brutale and they're out of this world, just like the rest of their products, I purchased the bike with them already on so I never knew how much they go for; I Emailed Moto Corse in Italy and as soon as I hear from them, you'll know, just brace yourself, none of their products is cheap!
They definitely not cheap but Motocorse definitely put out a quality product. I realised pricing when I costed some oil and radiator guards for a 1098 and I wouldn't have much change after several hundred dollars.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts