Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 ducati 900ss sp frame
Is it chromoly?
Very light frame, I've heard it is chromoly material. Is this true? Any welding & bending information/advice on this material will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Can you gas weld (oxy/acet)? That works fine on these materials. There are filler rods these days that perform quite well when combining CrMo and 1020 (mild steel). If it's within your skillset, brazing is also very effective for motorcycle frames (CrMo or Mild Steel).

TIG or MIG may also be used just as well. If you have TIG it may be used for brazing, I've done it countless times. Just use straight argon, or a 25% Helium x 75% Argon mix. But straight argon is a bit easier of you're not very skilled with TIG since adding Helium will increase your travel speed (the Helium creates a "hotter arc" so to speak, Helium is a very good conductor of heat energy so adding it to the shield gas allows the operator to travel faster, thereby putting less heat into the workpiece). But traveling faster requires a more skilled hand.

MIG is also fine, make sure to use a mig wire that has a higher silicon content. Less costly mig wires have a lower silicon content and can produce a more brittle joint. No special mig wires (such as CrMo mig wire) is necessary, just mild steel wire is fine. We're not building aircraft here. Use 70% Argon x 25% CO2 as the shield gas ... about 25 cubic feet per hour.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
back in the early models they listed the frames as chrome moly but that stopped around 1994 and it was then listed as ALS *** which I am sure some one on here will be able to tell you what you need to weld. I have had plenty of frames welded and repaired with no issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
back in the early models they listed the frames as chrome moly but that stopped around 1994 and it was then listed as ALS *** which I am sure some one on here will be able to tell you what you need to weld. I have had plenty of frames welded and repaired with no issues.
Have you welded your frames yourself? Or did you get someone to do them for you I will try to find out what ALS material is. I was looking at some chromoly stock for my build if I can't reuse some of the tubing

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
My welding skill is not something I would pass on to anyone else. I find excellent welders and hand the important jobs off to them, the costs are minimal. Some day I may build my own just to say I did it but that would be a long way off before I would prioritize " I did it" over getting a frame that is safe and has good looking welds. thats some of my problem i have known too many excellent welders and know that it is a skill that takes experience to build. I don't see myself puttinig in the time to ever get "that good".

If you are a good welder then no worries i look forward to seeing the end results.

IIRC ALS may have been als110 and someone years ago traced it to a italian standard similar (but different) than chrome moly. DO NOT TRUST MY INFO ON THIS but I think most welders treat it similar to chrome moly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My welding skill is not something I would pass on to anyone else. I find excellent welders and hand the important jobs off to them, the costs are minimal. Some day I may build my own just to say I did it but that would be a long way off before I would prioritize " I did it" over getting a frame that is safe and has good looking welds. thats some of my problem i have known too many excellent welders and know that it is a skill that takes experience to build. I don't see myself puttinig in the time to ever get "that good".

If you are a good welder then no worries i look forward to seeing the end results.
I was just curious to see if you got professionals to weld important projects for you and you do, as well as I do. I can cut bend, machine, modify everything but welding I get the pros to do thanks for the info

1 - 6 of 6 Posts