Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I hear airplanes
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at putting together a track day fun bike, and need to figure out where to start. Of course, I'd like to stick with a duc, air cooled for simplicity and weight, and carb'd for the old school touch.

I need to find a frame to begin.

I would like to use a cantilever-style suspension, instead of the SBK linked setup again for weight and simplicity.

Brain says to buy an older 900ss, make some mods to the frame, update forks, wheels, brakes and go.

What kind of differences are we talking about with frame geometry though? Should I start with a SBK frame, make some mods to the frame to use the cantilever SS setup/swingarm?

·
comrade moderator
27,037 Posts
Why don't you just buy a race-prepped SS and ride it? Why do you need to mod the frame? Why do you need SBK geometry?

·
I hear airplanes
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, for one, that would be too easy. I enjoy the build as much as riding the bike really.

I'm not sure if I really need the SBK geometry, thats pretty much what I was asking, and what the major differences are.

btw....doing track days on the ktm 525 is FUN :D

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I think some of the folks who part out Ducatis usually sell the frame for cheap. Check some of the sponsors here. I can't answer your question though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In my opinion, the difference in rear suspension is where the Superbike is superior over the Supersport. So, if you're planning on grafting a Supersport swingarm/shock onto a Superbike frame, I guess I don't see where the improvement is? I'd rather start with the Supersport frame and put better forks/triples/brakes onto it.

I've raced a 749R for the past five years in AHRMA, WERA, and AMA Pro Formula Extreme. Two weekends ago, I raced an 800SS at the AHRMA season finale at Barber Motorsports Park. Bike was set up for a 175 lb. rider and I tip the scales at 200 (cough 210 cough):eek:, but I was still impressed with how the bike handled. Granted, it makes half the horsepower of my 749R, and slow bikes always handle better than fast bikes, but it was still a ball to ride. I'm now eying the Ohlins forks and radial-mount brakes on my 749R and going "hmmmm . . . " :cool:

·
Registered
635 Posts
You could search for threads covering the RAD02 or just google it for their website. Good idea's there if you are hell bent on building something. I'm with the others saying superbike suspension is better but I have a blast on my SS and my Sportclassic on the track.

I am building my own version of modern SS using 1000ds motor 749 frame and SSSA. I'd prefer to use 749 swing arm but still trying to work out the exhaust on Vert head. If you are want to do frame changes this takes very few. Just a cross member needs to be lowered to clear the throttle bodies and if I have to go SSSA I just have to shift shock linkage point on frame to the right a little.

·
I hear airplanes
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all of the feedback!

I've got no issue at all with the SBK swinger and shock linkage, other than it's complicated and heavy compared to a cantilever setup found say a 900ss.

Still, I'd need to have a way to measure it and make sure the swingarm angle, trail, etc are all within the ballpark....

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you need a Superbike frame, give me a shout off-line. I have several hanging from the rafters, silently waiting for me to bang my head on one of them again . . . :)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The superbike frame is superior not from geometry but frame stiffness. Spring rates not withstanding, the chassis stiffness of my 955 is much greater than my SS even with Nichols engine bolts, which help greatly.

My ideal bike would still be a 1000DS engine in a SBK chassis with slightly relaxed ergonomics. And 350 lbs.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'm sure you've seen this build from Alex Ortner but it's always nice to revisit for inspiration from time to time. http://home.comcast.net/~aortner264789mi/FirstPage/1stpage.htm The complexity and weight of a SBK rear suspension would probably be a deal-killer for me. It sounds like you are looking for simple and light, a fun trackday bike, not to build an all-conquering racebike.

I believe a member, Riversbikes, built an SS/SBK hybrid, then parted it out recently.

I agree with MarkG; a 350 pound SS with a 1100cc dual spark and modern suspension would be just about right.

·
Registered
180 Posts
a 350 pound SS with a 1100cc dual spark and modern suspension would be just about right.

Built one, just have a dig through my previous posts or go to radicalducati.com and look for their RAD02 bikes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts