Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '93 900SS, and as I work on it I'm getting the impression that it's a little "out of whack". The front fairing subframe doesn't want to line up with the fairing very well. One exhaust sits lower than the other. Stuff like that. I don't notice anything while riding it, but I'm not really the kind of sophisticated rider that would.

Later on, I might like to make an attempt to straighten out the front subframe and to get the exhaust level. Is there any documentation out there of how the frame should be? Measurements, angles, ways of checking alignment, an accurate 3D model?

I imagine that when I actually get to the project I could ask for particular measurements like the angle of the exhaust hanger brackets, but for right now I'm just curious if there's a documented design for the frame.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
The back of the factory manuals will have the Frame measurements, nothing for exhaust or subframe. It is most likely that the exhaust is bent/mounted crooked same with the faiing cage. Do not be afraid to use a little muscle if it is just out a little. The exhaust is often crooked if someone had it off and did not align it after reassembly.

Loosen all the exhaust nuts,clamps and brackets (do not remove just loosened) and then get everything aligned, then while holding it aligned tighten things back down starting at the head flanges.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Ducvet! The frame dimensions in the manual should be helpful. I looked at the exhaust again, and the hangers are definitely at different angles, so it's not just a matter of the pipes being misaligned (though that could be contributing). The left side looks like it has rubbed against the swingers at some point.

The fairing cage should be symmetrical, right? It looks like the piece on the left side that points out to bolt on the fairing and mirror is a little lower than the right side. I have not taken measurements, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts