Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I’m back on my, bought wrecked, 848 SBK. I got it back together after checking for bent parts-forks were straight, found a bent front wheel and front axle. I loosened the engine mounting bolts and swingarm pivot and re-torqued but it’s still crooked. If my trig is correct, my steering head is twisted 1.48°. So I’ve bought a used frame.

What I need help on is evaluating some cracked paint on several joints near the steering head (photos below) I’m guessing that these are not frame cracks but just the area of most frame flex and that the paint just isn’t pliable enough, or fatigue resistant enough, to withstand the frame flexing without giving way. Of course I’ll inspect closer for frame cracks after blasting but right now I need to do a fast swap to check the frame for straightness before my 30 day ebay return period is up.

Is anyone familiar with such
Auto part Pipe Exhaust manifold
? If they are cracks, is this so common that I should not return the frame but just re-weld and keep going?

Many thanks,

Stephan

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
A Dremel with a wire wheel should clean the paint off those areas, without unnecessarily removing more than you need to. They don’t look like cracks right now. As you said, worry about straightness first.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Frames don’t usually crack on the welds, the tubing cracks. Repairing cracked welds wouldn’t be a big deal .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts