Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did an oil change yesterday and found a sheared-off pin of some sort in the oil. Upon review of the Haynes manual, it appears to be one of the six "change pins" at the end of the transmission selector drum. Based on the manual, the other half of the pin is probably still retained in the end of the assembly. The bike is a 95 900SS with 28k miles. I put maybe 2k per year on the bike. I haven't noticed any degradation in shift-quality thus far but I'm unclear as to what the change pins actually do. Any clues as to why it sheared off? I don't really understand what function they perform or how it could have found its way into the sump.

What's the collective wisdom on whether this requires an immediate strip-down or if it just goes on the to-do list when I want to eventually put in some hi-comp pistons, etc down the line inasmuch as there are 5 other pins still in place.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Pull the timing side cover off and you will see the end of the shift drum where the pins are located.The shift mechanism has a hooked lever that engages the pins and pulls the drum around when you move the shift lever.It looks like you will need to split the cases to get access to the spring clip that holds the pins in. That is if you can get the pins separately.Or some locktite or epoxy might be able to hold it in and you could probably do that from the outside edge of the shift drum.A blob on the end wouldn't interfere with anything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wdietz186:

Thanks for the reply. A blob of JB Weld on either the broken end of the pin or to secure it to the outermost plate of the drum (visible from the timing cover side) might work. My only concern would be whether those pins need to move. There's some wear marks on the broken pin suggesting that the end plate of the drum slides on the pin---although that could just be vibration witness marks. If the purpose of the pins is just to move the drum around (via the shift apparatus), it's unclear to me why the pins aren't fixed solid in the end plate, i.e. press-fit without the need for the spring clip. That makes me think the end plate is supposed to move laterally on the pins---which epoxy might hinder. Looks like I will be splitting the cases....

Best,

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts