Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a 1999 748. The guys has the fairins,tank,air box ,and velocity stacks off. He was gonna do the valve adjustments but his wife has cancer and doesn't have time to work on it. Here is the issue it has a backfiring problem on the front cylinder and he says the timing is set perfect. What is this problem,is it a big problem,and also what is a idea it might cost to fix. Also can I fix this or do I need a Mechinic? I am pretty good at. Fixing things but I want to make sure before I commit to the bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Backfiring could be due to the exhaust valves being out of spec, which is probably why he was going to check them. You need lots of different size shims to adjust them, so probably better to let a shop do it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Backfiring could be due to the exhaust valves being out of spec, which is probably why he was going to check them. You need lots of different size shims to adjust them, so probably better to let a shop do it!
I know all shops are different but what are we saying? 300-500$ range or 500$-1000$ range? Just getting a idea before I buy the bike?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
For a valve adjustment alone? 500-1k...if not more. It might be cheaper if you just bring them the engine. Less labor cost if they don't have to tear down the bike. That's what I did.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Depends on the shop. If it was out here in the San Fran bay area I know a shoo that would do it for about $400 and have a 1-2 day turn around, but yes most shops would be closer to $1k+.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do y'all think? He doesn't have any records of the previous owner doing the matience but he did say it ran and run fine just has a backfiring problem. I am looking to spend around 3500 to get it running and new to the 748's I have heard the 1999 did have a few problems. Don't want to get into a bind or a money pit the will never run or cost more than its worth.

·
Registered
542 Posts
he did say it ran and run fine just has a backfiring problem.
Every bike ran fine until a problem came up. Problem bikes are a gamble, just depends on how bad you want it and how much money you are willing to spend to fix it. Is everything else in excellent shape? Mileage?

Problems that might exist: Flaking rocker arms, rectifier wires melting, old timing belts.

Hard for us to give you an opinion with such limited information on the bike you are looking at. Can you post a link or pictures?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
9862 he said is on the Odmeter. He just changed the belts him self cause he had a monster same year and did it himself. No wiring problems or battery trouble.

·
Registered
542 Posts
How far did he get into the valve adjustments? Curious if he took the cams out to look at the rocker faces. New ones are about $65 each. New shims will be needed if you replace any. How much is he asking for the bike?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
How much is he asking for the bike?
I was wondering this as well. If you're already willing to put another 3500 into it just to get it running well, it would be worth it to add that 3500 to the over-all bike fund and find something nicer that has no current running issues.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
It is almost always more expensive to buy a cheaper bike... The problems always seem to keep coming up one after another. That's why they are cheap - not because you are lucky and getting some great deal! At least that is what I've seen time and time again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts