Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Set out on Black Friday to meet a friend of mine at Cycle Gear and check out some heated gear and the plan was to ride out through the local mountains to Palm Springs for lunch and then ride back the same route. I met my friend at Cycle Gear shortly after they opened and bought a heated vest, then hooked it up to my battery in the parking lot and he ended up buying a jacket before we set out. Admittedly, we got off to a late start but we were still set on lunch in Rancho Mirage.

Temperature where we were heading was forecast for a high of 39 degrees with possible showers. We wound up at a point in our ride where temps were getting down into the low 50s and my friend's bike was giving him strange readings on his fuel gauge. We had filled up in Temecula and 15 miles later his gauge was reading 1/2 tank so he was concerned he had a fuel leak (he didn't). He motioned for a stop and we assessed our situation and decided we should turn back because we were running later than planned and didn't want to wind up in the mountains coming back after dark with the possibility of snow and freezing rain so we decided to turn back

This pic was taken at the point we decided to abort our ride. Yes, that is snow on the peaks in the background.

Anyway, we were heading back to Temecula and home when the skies opened up. It was 51 degrees according to the dash on my Multi and pouring down rain. We were both soaked by the time we got to Temecula and we hadn't had lunch yet so we found a nice spot to grab a bite and wait out the rain. We headed out about an hour later on still wet roads but at least it wasn't raining. Shortly after we hit the freeway it started pouring again. Weather is fun when it is conspiring against you and you aren't prepared. At least I had that heated vest because every bit of clothing I had on was wet in some or many spots by the time I got home.

We get so little rain here I guess I just expected it to piss a little here and there but it didn't, it was pouring for hours. I don't own any rain gear but have been caught out in it a number of times so now I'm thinking a decent weather proof riding suit might be a good idea. A guy I work with commutes almost daily on a 2009 Multi 1100 S and he swears by his Aerostich suit. I'm kind of thinking of buying one. My feet were fine, I had wool socks and my Sidi boots kept my feet fairly dry and my torso was dry and warm as were my arms and hands but my legs and crotch were completely soaked by the time I arrived home. This would not have been fun on a longer ride. As it was this was a 4 hour trek including the lunch break.

Saw a guy at Cycle Gear who said he was heading out to Glamis on his Pikes Peak Multi about the time we set out. Was wondering if he was a member here and how his ride went. >:)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Shrinkage is NEVER fun.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
You can't go wrong with Aerostich gear, and their newer suits are billed as being completely waterproof.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can't go wrong with Aerostich gear, and their newer suits are billed as being completely waterproof.
I think I'm going to invest in one. Would definitely need something waterproof for multi state rides.

·
Smut peddler
1,088 Posts
I'll be in San Diego from 12/21-1/7. Look out for a black hyper with southern Canadian plates. You've all been warned...:surprise:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts