Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my 60mph highside ten days ago, I did a couple short rides yesterday and today. Everything was nicely repaired with some superglue for minor cracks, and a hammer to get the right pannier frame back into position. I then noticed that the handlebars are no longer straight :(

Other than the weird feeling of the bars turning right when going straight, I felt no difference in the bike's handling or braking.

The bike fell and slid on grass on its right side and the handlebar dug into the dirt. So when riding, the bars are turned slightly to the right. Looking down the fork tubes, they look a bit twisted in that the triple clamps seem offset a bit. Sighting down each fork tube, they individually appear to be straight.

Anyone deal with this kind of damage before? Could it just be that the fork tubes shifted within the triple clamps, and that loosening everything up and realigning will sort it out? Are the forks definitely bent? Or could it be something else I'm not seeing?

I had thought that by raising the rear end, installing a steering damper (personal preference), and having sag and damping set by a suspension shop would get the bike perfect. But now I'm a bit worried about having to deal with the forks, and while replacement ST forks aren't that expensive relatively, I'm of course hoping that less surgery would be required to get my baby sorted out.

with a get off at that speed, I'm fortunate to have walked away with only a bruised knee and three broken ribs. And I thought the bike was fortunate to get away with just picking grass out of the fairings and gluing a few bits back into place. But at 60mph, it wouldn't be surprising if there was more significant hidden damage unfortunately :(

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Could it just be that the fork tubes shifted within the triple clamps, and that loosening everything up and realigning will sort it out?
The obvious first thing to try.
Are the forks definitely bent?
Who knows ? How could anybody possibly tell over the internet ?
The only way to be able to tell that for sure would be to take them out, take them apart, and have the stanchions checked.
Personally I'd go for your first option of loosening the triple clamps and then realigning it all and then seeing how it rides. If it seems to ride ok now, it's not going to ride any worse once it's all aligned back up again.
I'm of course hoping that less surgery would be required to get my baby sorted out.
Yes let's hope so.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's good to hear, that it's possible that the triple clamps and tubes just got out of sorts. What would have been bad to hear was something like "if the triple clamps aren't aligned, the tubes are bent for sure".

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'd check the handle bar, as one of mine was bent giving the impression the forks could have been bent, as you said one side dug into the ground.

·
7,733 Posts
After you check out the front end, consider that the rear wheel could have been knocked out of alignment as well which would cause that out of line steering effect. :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have everything checked, but I tested the bike to triple digits and the bike tracks dead straight.

It's just that the left bar is a bit forwards and the right bar a bit backwards :(

Hopefully, it will just be a matter of readjusting the fork tubes and realigning the triple clamps. Otherwise, I'm in the market for ST forks :p

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well if you find its the bars I've got a set I spent the $$ on the LSL kit from Spiengler before my long trip and so glad i did I'll never go back to stock units.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same thing happen, well the accident wasn't the same. The forks were tweeked just a little, so that the bar would touch the fairing if I turned it fully to the right. Loosened up the triple clamps when on the center stand put the front wheel between my knees and gave the bars a good tug, there was a little poping sound, and they were straight.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had the same thing happen, well the accident wasn't the same. The forks were tweeked just a little, so that the bar would touch the fairing if I turned it fully to the right. Loosened up the triple clamps when on the center stand put the front wheel between my knees and gave the bars a good tug, there was a little poping sound, and they were straight.
One post a year?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's even better to hear. My bars are definitely off-center, but they still don't touch the fairings.

As soon as I can get a mechanic to look at the damned thing, it should be quick to sort. But I am prepared for the chance that I'll need new fork tubes...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts