Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody,

So my buddy and I swapped bikes over the weekend and, due to a brake lock mishap, I am now in the market for a new set of front forks for a 1996 900CR. I was looking at the Ohlins 41mm forks, but they are over 2K. Looking to buy a set of 41mm Showas, if anybody knows where they can be had. If you have a set, ot if you know where I could pick one up, please let me know. I would love to get my bike back on the road for the summer!!

Thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
709 Posts
superbike forks are [in my opinion] a great solution. those forks, along with a cyclecat dtc-1 triple will get you where you want to be.

you end up with,

a] a good set of forks that can be revalved and sprung to your liking.
b] you get the superbike lower triple, which [if you want] you can send to Alex Ortner to be re-machined to fit your SS. this would eliminate the shims and give you a really strong, stiff, lower triple [it's what i did on my SS]

so, 200 for the forks and triple, 325 for the dtc-1, and 200 for Alex's machine work...725 for a complete superbike front end is a great deal [again, in my opinion]

Mark Hatten at Woundedduc sometimes has the SS/SP adjustable forks..but they are in demand and always go fast, for about 600-700 bucks, i think, anyway.

i checked his site www.woundeduc.net and he didn't have any listed, but you could email him and ask.

i don't know the guy selling the forks, so i'm not pushing them on you or anything. i just think that's a great price if they are in good condition.

I paid 600 i think for my forks [Ti Ni coated] and 100 for a lower triple. i bought a blem dtc-1 from the catshop..200 i think [i didn't care what it looked like]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Zooom (still in DC?). I sent Bell749 a PM about the forks.

Question about the SBK forks. Once I have these mounted in the clamps, am I good to go, or do I need a new axle/wheel? I seem to remember something about the axle diameter being different between the SS / SBK.

Finally, and I'm really milking the board for information now, am I correct that the SS forks are 43mm and the SBK forks are 50mm? Is this true of all SBK forks or only the 'old style' (pre-2002) SBKs?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
nomadwarmachine said:
Thanks Zooom (still in DC?). I sent Bell749 a PM about the forks.

Question about the SBK forks. Once I have these mounted in the clamps, am I good to go, or do I need a new axle/wheel? I seem to remember something about the axle diameter being different between the SS / SBK.

Finally, and I'm really milking the board for information now, am I correct that the SS forks are 43mm and the SBK forks are 50mm? Is this true of all SBK forks or only the 'old style' (pre-2002) SBKs?
The 916 series all have the 25mm hollow axle, the rest of the lineup got that in '99, You can still use your wheels but will have to fit new bearings and spacers, the brake rotor offset should be good

SS forks are 41mm sliders, 50mm top clamp, 54mm lower
SBK are 43mm sliders, 53mm top and bottom clamp

Forks up to '98 had 40mm caliper spacing, '99+ has 65mm spacing

P.S. Good info on remachining the lower clamp. I tried to get info on that when looking to convert mine and got a crazy figure. $200 to retrofit that clamp is well worth it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Bella749 said:
The 916 series all have the 25mm hollow axle, the rest of the lineup got that in '99, You can still use your wheels but will have to fit new bearings and spacers, the brake rotor offset should be good

SS forks are 41mm sliders, 50mm top clamp, 54mm lower
SBK are 43mm sliders, 53mm top and bottom clamp

Forks up to '98 had 40mm caliper spacing, '99+ has 65mm spacing

P.S. Good info on remachining the lower clamp. I tried to get info on that when looking to convert mine and got a crazy figure. $200 to retrofit that clamp is well worth it.
I had forgotten the caliper issue, my SS is a '99...so it already had the 65mm setup.

that will probably be nomad's biggest stumbling block.

Alex did a great job on the lower. if you need it, pm me and i'll shoot you his email address.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
blade625CT said:
I had forgotten the caliper issue, my SS is a '99...so it already had the 65mm setup.

that will probably be nomad's biggest stumbling block.

Alex did a great job on the lower. if you need it, pm me and i'll shoot you his email address.
you can find calipers going pretty reasonable on eBay

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ack! So I am also going to need new calipers for this job? Let me take a quick look and see what I can come up with on that front -- I know that woundedduc.net is also parting a 916. I may have some luck with that.

If I go through with this, I am going to need some help from this board regarding the details. Any idea where I can pick up the correct spacers for the wheel?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
nomadwarmachine said:
Thanks Zooom (still in DC?).
yes...I'm still in the DC area!....glad I could help ya out pointing it out for ya...let me know if you end up getting forks so I can close your WTB thread in classifieds!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
nomadwarmachine said:
Will do -- I should sort it out sometime this week. Still going to B&N on Thursday (?) nights with the DCSportbikes crowd?
occasionally....don't have any activity on that board because of the filters at work that keep me off of there....and I don't feel like using a CGI Proxy to be a user on there right now....that and some of the juvenile behavoir I am tired of...guess I am getting weary of some of that...but I go up to B&N/Bucks about every other week at least...gotta get my sugar/caffeine high every now and again!...am thinking about putting a cupholder on my Monster though so I can get Dunkin Donuts coffee and ride up there with better coffee!....and my wife and my girlfriend and roomate all just got bikes...so I am helping all of them get aquainted with the road and whatnot!.....hows things for you other than the recent bike spectacle?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm back in DC for the summer and riding my buddy's Monster until I get the 900 back up and running, so I have wheels, but I am not as used to riding Il Monstro as I am to the SS. I haven't hooked up with the DCSportbike crowd in a while -- too many accidents on group rides, too many Gixxer750f00ls. PM me if if you want to go for a ride sometime.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, quick question: if I have a Bella's lower triple, do I still need to remachine it? Shouldn't the lower triple for the SBK just bolt into the steering stem (if I have an appropriately sized top clamp)? In other words, if I get the lower triple with the forks, am I good to go?

·
Registered
709 Posts
nomadwarmachine said:
Okay, quick question: if I have a Bella's lower triple, do I still need to remachine it? Shouldn't the lower triple for the SBK just bolt into the steering stem (if I have an appropriately sized top clamp)? In other words, if I get the lower triple with the forks, am I good to go?
no, the steering stem dia. and offset for a superbike are much different than a SS [as well as the steering stop locations]

Alex Ortner can do the machinework for you. He charged me 200 bucks, and it was a great deal for the level of workmanship he provided.

you will need to send him your lower triple with stem attached [don't try to remove it..you my damage it] and the superbike lower triple.

leave the lower head bearing on too, he will take it off and re-install it also.

pm me and i'll give you his email address.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts