Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Impulsively I've just bid on a set of forks on Ebay. Now I'm wondering if I've done the right thing. Soooo...Anyone know if it's any more difficult to transplant a set of 749/999 Showas into an SS than it is to put in forks from a 748/916? I know for the latter I'd have to get the top yoke machined to 53mm, I'm assuming that's the same for the 749 forks too. What about the lower yoke sizing? I've searched and found loads on 748/916 conversions but nothing on 749 forks. And now I come to think of it what about fork length? Maybe I should have researched first!!!:D

regards, Kurt

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Impulsively I've just bid on a set of forks on Ebay. Now I'm wondering if I've done the right thing. Soooo...Anyone know if it's any more difficult to transplant a set of 749/999 Showas into an SS than it is to put in forks from a 748/916? I know for the latter I'd have to get the top yoke machined to 53mm, I'm assuming that's the same for the 749 forks too. What about the lower yoke sizing? I've searched and found loads on 748/916 conversions but nothing on 749 forks. And now I come to think of it what about fork length? Maybe I should have researched first!!!:D

regards, Kurt

Na, I'm planning on doing the same thing. The 749/999 forks are 53/53 so you'll need to shim your lower triple which is no big deal, but the top triple you'll need to replace or bore out. I did the same fork swap on my monster without issue as well and now planning on doing the SS. Also, you'll need different calipers 65mm instead of your 40mm, then the fender and axel are different. Depending what year SS you have you might end up needing a different front rim as well?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks-I'm feeling better about this now!!! I've already got 65mm calipers on my bike (it's actually a late model 900 Sport with the crappy non adjustable Marzocchis). It also has the hollow axle so just maybe with fingers crossed and alot of luck that might be ok too??? I can get a local machine shop to bore the top triple. What do we use to shim the lower triple? I found a commercially available shim somewhere on the net, but now I can't locate it. I saw on a Monster forum that someone had machined up some really nice top hat style spacers to drop into the lower triple, so I may go down that route. I'm actually really excited about getting this project under way!!

Thanks for your input

Regards,

Kurt

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick reply would be very much appreciated

Well, I didn't win the SBK forks. However I now have the opportunity to buy ST4 forks. They look in good condition and they are adjustable. They also have the right caliper mounting bolt spacing and will slot straight into my triples being 50/54mm. So are these a good bet, or would I be better off waiting for SBK forks??

Thanks as ever,

Kurt

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Fork related question here...

I see there is about 1/2" of tube sticking up past the top triple clamp, is that considered normal? Is it adjustable? Does it change the handling much by messing with it? Also if anyone knows the torque numbers for the triples I would appreciate it?

Thanks,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts