Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I’m going to guess it’s a pair of SP forks with GSXR internals and the correct straight rate springs. I bought the SP forks and used GSXR forks on eBay, then a pair of RaceTech springs and seals, total cost about $400. You can then use your stock wheel , axle, and speedo drive, or convert to the later axle and drive for little extra. Most of the other fork conversions leave you in an expensive situation with regard to the wheel, brakes, axle, and speedo drive. So, while you can buy Superbike forks reasonably, the rest of the conversion is expensive .

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Where would you shop for a reasonably priced sp forks?
The classifieds here, or on the Monster forums. Ebay of course. Check with Ed Milich at guzzipower.com, or with "Used Ducati Parts" on Facebook. I've been having increasingly good luck finding parts that people are listing for sale in the various Facebook groups as well.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I’m going to guess it’s a pair of SP forks with GSXR internals and the correct straight rate springs. I bought the SP forks and used GSXR forks on eBay, then a pair of RaceTech springs and seals, total cost about $400. You can then use your stock wheel , axle, and speedo drive, or convert to the later axle and drive for little extra. Most of the other fork conversions leave you in an expensive situation with regard to the wheel, brakes, axle, and speedo drive. So, while you can buy Superbike forks reasonably, the rest of the conversion is expensive .
I'd second this suggestion as this is what I had on my SS. I started off with the Showa forks as my bike was an SP to begin with, but there is a design defect which makes it so the rebound damping and compression damping circuits cannot operate independently. I picked up a beat up set of GSXR600 forks off eBay for $60, a pair of RaceTech springs correct for my weight from a forum member here for $100 or so, the whole process was done in a day and I'm not known for my speed as a mechanic. I did a write-up with some pictures on how I did it in the SS forum.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
if your 95 has showa non adj forks you could put the gsxr cartridges in them and run without compression adj. or have someone make them single function - there's a fella out here who does that. that way you only need the top adjusters.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd second this suggestion as this is what I had on my SS. I started off with the Showa forks as my bike was an SP to begin with, but there is a design defect which makes it so the rebound damping and compression damping circuits cannot operate independently. I picked up a beat up set of GSXR600 forks off eBay for $60, a pair of RaceTech springs correct for my weight from a forum member here for $100 or so, the whole process was done in a day and I'm not known for my speed as a mechanic. I did a write-up with some pictures on how I did it in the SS forum.
So you ran GSXR forks not Duc forks with GSXR inserts?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
FWIW, I found the frankenforks with GSXR internals to be an improvement over the stock parts, mainly because I could quickly and easily adjust the damping. It also seemed to me that the forks were able to respond to bumps quicker resulting in better traction overall. But the biggest difference I made to my suspension was actually the Racetech springs. Night and day better than the stock progressive OEM springs. Changing the ancient fork oil may have had an effect as well, but the springs got rid of the big front-end dive under hard braking as the progressive springs loaded up and compressed through the soft portion of the travel range. YMMV.

·
Registered
793 Posts
To avoid having to deal with axle / wheel issues you would need to use fork tubes that accommodate your current axle. I sent my Showa forks to Rick at Cogent Dynamics and he bebuilt them with internals of his own manufacture and sprung them properly for my weight and use. It wasn't the cheapest solution, but all I had to do was remove, ship, reinstall the forks; and the suspension now works great. I also had him rebuild my Showa rear shock with better internals and an adjustable length shaft. Since you are in MD as opposed to my California location, shipping should be much cheaper. I did this a number of years ago. You could contact him if you're interested in what options he has available now.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
A definite step up, from everything I’ve read. Depends how far you want to go and how much you want to spend. They are also a good source for parts and advice if you’re doing your own work .

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Sometimes I get in over my head. I didn’t know squat about upside down forks, or adjustable forks. I just followed the thread and it was a good learning experience. At the time I didn’t have the money to buy an expensive bike, hence the beat up 900CR. A piece at a time I’ve upgraded beyond SP equipment. I’m really happy with the results and the fact that I did it all myself. Now it’s apart and being cleaned up, along with a few more upgrades and components being refreshed.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just remember it is a 25 + year old motorcycle. It will never handle like a new modern motorcycle. Your best bang for the $ is race tech springs for you weight and some gold valves and the correct wt oil.
Lighter Wheels will make the most difference in handling and also don't forget the crappy bolts holding the engine to the frame...Nichols engine bolts are the way to go and noticeably improve handling.

I Please don't use a 180 rear tire as that only slows down the side to side transition a 160 is more than enough.
MY .02

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,177 Posts
I've got a '95 900SS CR myself Mark. Believe me,been there-done that with the non adjustable 41mm Showa forks that came standard on these bikes. Suspension wears as it gets older,which means it's not a set and forget kinda thing,you have to make adjustments to account for that wear.

Racetech springs and gold valves were miles better than stock but since the springs and gold valves were inside the fork cartridges the only way to make any adjustments was to remove the fork cartridges,make your adjustments,and reinstall them. What an effing royal pain in the ass that was to do.

Next up was the fully adjustable SP forks. They turned out to be a total waste of time as the rebound adjuster is engineered incorrectly. Back it off just a coupla clicks and it bypasses the compression circuit rendering the forks completely useless.

Gixxer adjustable fork cartridges are cool and all but from what I've read it sounds like a lot of work dickin' around to make them work with your stock forks.

The simplest way to upgrade the stock non adjustable 41mm Showa forks that I've found is to install a set of Andreani fully adjustable fork cartridges. These fork cartridges are designed to fit your stock forks and bolt right in.
Both fork cartridges are preload adjustable,the right fork cartridge handles all the rebound,and the left fork cartridge handles all the compression. All adjusters are external and easy to use.

Not the cheapest option granted Mark,but no need for new wheels,brakes,axles,oversize bearings yada yada yada....

Simply remove your forks,remove and $hit-can the stock non adjustable fork cartridges,bolt in the Andreani fork cartridges,fill with oil,install the forks,make your adjustments,and ride off into the sunset. Bada-Boom! It's that simple.

Installed a set of these Andreani's in the stock Showa forks on my '03 VFR800. With the right tools on hand it was so easy to do it was ridiculous.

Click me Mark.>>>https://www.ebay.com/itm/Andreani-Adjustabale-Hydr-Cartridge-Kit-Fork-Ducati-SS-900-Showa-41-1991-1995/142607444828?hash=item213410eb5c:g:acgAAOSwVtZaH91Z

Attachments

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Gixxer adjustable fork cartridges are cool and all but from what I've read it sounds like a lot of work dickin' around to make them work with your stock forks.
It's an afternoon's work if you take it slow, no special tools or equipment required. With GSXR cartridges and racetech springs, the forks are transformed, probably on par with the aftermarket cartridges you have. $150-200 worth of parts if you already have the SP forks, double that if you don't, gets you a nice set of fully adjustable, reasonably compliant forks. The mod is not as bad as you make it sound. Out of curiosity how much did your cartridges cost?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts