Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help.............What type of fork oil should i use on stock Showa's (brand and weight)
Bike is a 998 with almost 17,000 miles on it. Fork oil has never been changed
Help me out if you can

thx

rob

·
Registered
722 Posts
5W. A good oil that is inexpensive is Motorex. Don't use Belray unless it is the HPI "Racing". I think the best is the Ohlins R&T 43. That is what we use in the shop. I don't trust Motul syn as I got a set of Honda forks once that had that in them and the seals were like 2x the norrmal size

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, going to my local bike shop to see what brands they carry might as well change the motor oil too

rob

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am quite certain Showa forks on Duc's are factory spec'd w/5w fluid. KTM's arrive from factory w/Motorex in their WP units. They claim it's 5w however when I have changed it, I find the fluid relatively thick (high viscosity) compared to most 5w suspension fluids I am familiar with.

The Ohlins fluid I am sure is fine but the price is ridiculous for a simple mineral based fluid. I know of at least 1 locally based AMA team using Ohlins Superbike forks and they use Redline suspension fluid instead of the spec'd Ohlins fluid. I have used Redline "Lightweight" fluid which they claim is 5w equivalent in WP, Showa and Ohlins forks as well as Penske shocks with superb results. I have spoken with a Penske engineer who stated their units are all delivered with Silkolene 5W. Silkolene and Redline fluids are basically identical, other than price and availability which is largely dependant on location. In SF BayArea, Redline is much lower price and readily available. I know in Atlanta, Redline is pricier than Silkolene and probably harder to find.

The Redline fluid seems to suffer far less oxidation between service interval, witnessed by fluid remaining a pale blue. I've never noticed excessive fade and seals never seem swollen. A friend witnessed some o-ring swelling using Yamalube in a WP fork, chosen because it's what he had laying about. Take care.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Bigmac, for clarification, Showa SS8 is the stock spec oil viscosity for the 748/916/996 (at least, according to Haynes). SS8 is a 10W oil. SS7 is their 5W.

I'd agree with the 5W recommendation, to reduce the excessive comp damping for the street, provided one firms-up the rebound to suit the lighter oil.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The S.A.E. "W" system was made up for motor oil. It really is not a reliable way to measure the viscosity as relative to working in a hydraulic system (like our forks). Using a Centistokes measurement is a much more reliable way to compare. Temperature stability, anti foaming and lubrication are just some of the critical properties.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yup, you're right, Rick. One should check the actual viscosity rather than the nominal W rating. Problem is....the Showa SS-8 is marked 10W on the bottle, like the SS-7 is marked a 5W....but they don't have the centistoke values/specs listed.

I can't seem to find ANYTHING on the net related to the actual centistoke values for these oils. Found a cross-reference with just about everything EXCEPT the SS-8 and SS-7 (typical, huh!).

Do you happen to know the cSts for these 2 oils? I'm kinda curious what other make/viscosity oils are a close cross-reference to the SS-8 10W oil....

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts