Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should you change fork oil? The manuals for both my Monster and Multistrada say to change it at 18k miles... but that seems like a stretch to me. I have just over 9k on the monster, and was considering changing it over the winter while I have the front wheel off to get a new tire mounted. I've done a few bikes that have over 20k on them, and the oil was pretty funky.

·
Registered
610 Posts
There doesn't seem to be a consensus on what interval is appropriate for changing the fork oil. Harley-Davidson uses mileage (20,000 mi.) Castrol, a fluid manufacturer recommends time (two years). For average usage, these recommendations are roughly equivalent.

That said, the fork fluid does tend to collect and suspend wear particles, so like the engine oil, the first fluid change is the most effective in reducing subsequent wear. Also, synthetic hydraulic fluids are hydroscopic which, means that they readily absorb moisture from the air, and this water will corrode internal ferrous parts. Silicone and mineral oil based fluids are not hydroscopic. Internal fork parts are plated so water absorption may not be a real concern here.

So it may make no difference. Some bike manufacturers don't even include a fluid change in their service schedule.

·
Registered
32 Posts
most street guys i know do it every 2 years, or 10000~miles.

the track guys i know do it every season, or every 20 trackdays.

...or more realistically - when they start to leak (grrrr)

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I do mine when they leak or when I take them apart for some reason. I do a bike when I first get it so I know what’s in there. I don’t change it on a regular schedule because I never put that many miles on any one bike in a year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I do mine when they leak or when I take them apart for some reason. I do a bike when I first get it so I know what’s in there. I don’t change it on a regular schedule because I never put that many miles on any one bike in a year.
I'm with cr, same approach but if the bike is going to stay in the garage long term I would probably lean towards the yearly schedule.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts