Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much of your fork is above the triple clamp ?

I need to raise my legs (so to speak) and I'm wondering how much everyone else has above their triple clamps (measuring from the top of the triple clamp to the main flat on the cap of the legs ?)

I know it's difficult with the stock handlebar clamps

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Mine are flush with the top. I raised the rear instead. Why do you need to drop the front?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Yeah why do you need to do this after all this time ?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.. because I want to try it out ???

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Was just wondering. It's perfectly valid way of adjsting suspesion / steering angle. Did it on the 900 SSie, dropped the front 10MM. It was as nice an improvment as raising the rear on the ST. The SS did not have the means to raise the rear, so dropping the front was the only option. If I remeber correctly, stock ST bars will give you some adjustmet. Try going 5 or 10MM to start. Recheck sag and set preload as needed when doing this. Is the rear already raised up? Are you going for a lower ride hight? Remember you're going to lose some ground clearence, and possibly introducing some instability if you also have the rear raised. I'm interested to know how this works out for you. Let us know!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The rear is raised up, about 1/2 inch under a fresh tire.

I'm going about 5mm (.20 inch) on the fork raise and the stock mounts allow this much, but my DR Desmo 1-in spacers don't. Going over to my buddy's machine shop tomorrow to waller it out.

My bikes balance just doesn't feel agressive enough, It doesn't feel quite right on the initial turn-in.

The only other thing that comes to mind is letting off some preload but it set to 40mm (per LT) which is already more than I would have thought

So instead of just sitting back and bitching about it, I want to work on it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did it last week about 11mm

On a short ride, I noticed much more load in the front wheel, and steering more like a 748, wich I love
I also removed the securing pins on the handlebars to close the angle (more closer to the tank)

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Of course and why indeed not. Silly me.

With your bike being the first gen, you could (if you wanted to) just undo the clamp pinch bolts and let the forks slide up through the clamps until they are prevented from going any further by the handlebar clamps. You can see how many mm that is, it's around 12mm on mine.

Another way could be to get bike on centre stand, undo oil cooler mounting bolts and swing cooler out of the way, place a car jack with a bit of wood on it under the horizontal pot, undo the clamp bolts, and then jack the bike down to whatever clearance you fancy trying.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Sorry, missed the bit about the risers.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
My bikes balance just doesn't feel agressive enough.
Since you're in the trying mood, while the risers are off being modified, maybe try slapping the bars back on there without the 1 inch risers and take it for a spin before adjusting the forks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With the forks raised 5mm, I put the bars on without the spacers as I wanted to fit everything at the machine shop to make sure the spacers were cut just enough to fit (ie wallering out the hole). At first the stock handlebar position felt great and I was thinking that I might leave that way for a while.

Ten mins into my trip to my buddies machine shop, I remembered why I bought those 1 inch risers. My 52 yr old back started to creak and my previously broken wrists (dirtbike wrecks when I was a kid) had increased pressure on them causing discomfort.

My friend went over 2-3 times exactly what I wanted cut and I showed him how everything went together and where it was hitting. A few min later I was fitting it all back together. That 1 inch spacer makes a huge difference for for this old body.

The raised forks do make a difference although I haven't given it a complete test yet, it seems to help. So now it's back to my favorite backroads and playing with my clickers to see if I can get it exactly where I want it.

I know it will always be a compromise, given different roads designs and conditions but I think I'm on the right track here.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
If you have a 1/2" of space under the tire on the center stand I would try raising the rear a bit more. I have less than 1/4" between a new tire and the floor on mine. I can just get a piece of cardboard underneath the tire for chain cleaning and lubing.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
My bikes balance just doesn't feel agressive enough, It doesn't feel quite right on the initial turn-in.

You could try different tires with a more sport orientated profile.
I found Michelin Pilot Powers (not sure whta the equililent is now , Pures ?) have a much more 'v' profile and made the steering much more responsive.

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
If you have a 1/2" of space under the tire on the center stand I would try raising the rear a bit more. I have less than 1/4" between a new tire and the floor on mine. I can just get a piece of cardboard underneath the tire for chain cleaning and lubing.
My rear has less than that and feels great.

Have a good one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts