Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
for me, anyway.

Didn't feel like waiting for delivery of an actual Seal Mate so I made a reasonable approximation from an ordinary plastic 2-litre bottle. And, I'll be damned, it actually worked.

You may have read about the latest setback with my ST2 (stator failed). With riding season ending sooner than later, I got the M900 out. Got home from what was only the fourth ride (and maybe 50 miles total) to find the left leg had leaked enough that it made it all over the left brake caliper and fork lower. FACK.

I'd read about the Seal Mate in the past, just out of interest, not need. Found them all over the place. Ebay - $8 with shipping. I'm down with that. Sellers feedback on shipping time sucked though. Not cool. So, I thought I'd at least give a homemade one a go.

Pulled the dust seal down and cleaned inside and out, really well. Same with the stanchion. Sprayed some cleaner into the seal recess and blew/wiped out the gunk. Finally, I used the tool as described in various videos. It removed a noticeable (though not a surprising or frightening) amount of gunk from the seal itself. Wiped it clean. Second and third goes with the tool for good measure. Then I cycled the forks with all my weight. A slight amount of oil had to be wiped off the stanchion after each turn until it was 'dry'. Reinstalled the dust seal and went for short ride.

Some dampness showed after the first ride. Wiped off. Another short ride the next day, slightly less oil. Now on day three of four and after getting to work this morning (and returning home) it is bone-dry.

The only thing left to do is check the levels in each leg.

Moral of story? Before killing off a portion of your riding season going straight to seal replacement, give this method a try first. Even if you buy the name brand tool (and, why not?), you're out only the cost of a six of tolerable beer. And, it might just work.

Photos, in order, are tool, left leg (former leaker), right leg (wasn't leaking but, got the exact treatment as the leaking one as an experiment).

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
It sounds like you've considered the likelihood that your fork has run out of oil. That is a pretty good way to stop a leak. :grin2:

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I made one out of some kind of blister pack plastic back in the spring.

Stopped a weep on my Monster too...;)

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds like you've considered the likelihood that your fork has run out of oil. That is a pretty good way to stop a leak. :grin2:
Ha ha, yes and no. Yes, because it obviously did leak some (and lost a few drops more during the cleaning process). No, because it didn't leak anything like making it empty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts