Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else sourced a "spare" or replacement set of front forks for a ST2? Did you have to get similar from a ST2 or ST4? Or did you find a replacement SBK set that fit? I was under the impression that the ST series used many of the SBK parts--look at the 25mm axle, SBK injection, radiators, etc.

I was close to buying a set of 996 Showa forks, until I measured my forks on the ST2. Mine seem to be:
50mm near the top tripple,
54mm " " lower ",
and 65 mm spacing for the caliper bolts.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct for the ST2 (and/or ST4)?

The 996 seem to be 53mm Top and Bottom, and 65mm caliper spacing.

Am I to guess that I'll be looking at only ST2/4 replacement units?

·
Registered
231 Posts
There was a great thread just two month ago about mating the lower section and internals of a superbike fork with the slider of the ST series to get around the diameter issues. The person that did the thread had a great write up. Can not find the link, but it was here not long ago.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Stick, you are correct, they are not the same. 25mm axle, yes. 65mm caliper spacing, correct. Top tube 50mm, yes. I belive the bottom is actually 53. You have to do some work to the triples to make it work. Or replace with a Cycle Cat system.

Also of important note. The triple offset is not the same as the SBK. So you cannot make use of the SBK triples. They have greater offset, which reduces trail. Dangerous stuff, be carefull.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Oh yeah, and I belive the SBK fork upper tubes are a bit shorter as well. I seem to remember 1.5" but I'm not sure of that number.

·
Registered
108 Posts
vincep said:
There was a great thread just two month ago about mating the lower section and internals of a superbike fork with the slider of the ST series to get around the diameter issues. The person that did the thread had a great write up. Can not find the link, but it was here not long ago.
Here's the link to the sbk fork on a ST3 thread:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=3872

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, thanks for the pointers. VERY informative!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts