Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
My '93 888 Strada fork adjuster screws right on the top of my Showas have both seized solid. I have had the preload unit right off and still I cant budge them.

Any bright ideas what I can do. For once I have found something that cant be bought off e-bay!!!
In fact I cant seem to buy them anywhere......

Help...

Andy

·
Registered
406 Posts
Carefull with heat, carefull with penetrant. Even more careful with both together!

Elbow grease and patience.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Are you talking about the rebound adjustment screws? And you are saying that you had the fork caps entirely off and still can't get them to budge?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes exactly.

The bike has been stood in a damp shed for most of its life and has just been completely stripped and rebuilt including brand new fork sliders. The brass rebound adjuster screws are seized. Ive tried penetrating oil left soaking overnight but they just wont budge!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Aluminum and brass have differnt expansion rates. A small amount of heat will work. If you are not comfortable with this. Just take them to a machine shop.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Heat and penetrating oil should work if they're not corroded in the threads too badly.
Take the parts off the bike and put them in the oven for a few hours at 250 degrees. Then put them in the freezer for a couple. What this does is to take advantage of the dissimilar expansion rates of the materials. With this expand contract regime perhaps the penetrating oil will soak in and you can work the screws till they come out. Do it a few times and I hope it works. If you heat it over say,, 350, you'll have to replace any internal O rings if so equipped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Old Fart, you are indeed The Man. It worked like a dream. One side is done and I should imagine the other should be mush the same.

The only thing I would like to do is to replace the brass adjuster screw as the screwdriver slot is a little damaged from trying to loosen it. Any idea where I can buy Showa parts?

Thanks
Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts