Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are the forged magnesium wheels for the street bike with occassional track day? I'm sure this has been posted before. I may pull the trigger on a set, found some at a very good price, about 1500 cheaper then BST's. Will they hold up on the street? I live in Michigan and our roads can be troublesome sometimes to say the least. lol Thanks

·
Registered
660 Posts
Personally I think it's overkill for the street, but if you have a wad burning a hole in your pocket, why not?!

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
I had them on my SS and they were fantastic for the street. Hitting a big pothole is the chance you'll just have to take, its the risk we take to have the benefits of light weight wheels. I think magnesiums are as strong as your aluminums, or close enough. I wouldn't hesitate if the price is right.

·
Registered
537 Posts
i use to have them in my SS trackbike.
on time i rode over the kerbstones with them wich where almost like street kerbstones,both wheels of the ground nothing wrong with them.
you might be worried more about the corrosion.

henk!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Why don't you buy them if it's for such a good price and sell them in the Spring for a profit and then buy a set of the forged aluminum ones and spend the money on something else? I was just up in Livonia a month ago and the roads aren't that bad, unless I wasn't paying attention. I loved how they're like 4 lanes wide!

Good luck

-Chris

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I've used cast magnesium wheels (Marchesini and PVM) on my streetbikes for many years now and they work fine. I rather doubt that what you're considering is forged magnesium; those are only on the Desmosedici RR from the factory and just as expensive as BSTs. You're probably looking at cast mags.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've used cast magnesium wheels (Marchesini and PVM) on my streetbikes for many years now and they work fine. I rather doubt that what you're considering is forged magnesium; those are only on the Desmosedici RR from the factory and just as expensive as BSTs. You're probably looking at cast mags.

He says they are the forged 10 spoke mags. I asked him to clarify. He said orginally 3600. I'm going to take his word I guess, still havent pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
His $3600 cost for new forged mags would be about right based on what I've heard. I find it hard to believe that's what he has, however, as not many people would spend that kind of money for wheels, and, even if they did, most would buy the BSTs.

Unless he's offering these for well under $2000 a set, I'd want to see the original sales receipt to prove they really are forged mags.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
His $3600 cost for new forged mags would be about right based on what I've heard. I find it hard to believe that's what he has, however, as not many people would spend that kind of money for wheels, and, even if they did, most would buy the BSTs.
Why hard to believe?

I have them on my ST2 (forged 10-spoke magnesium Marchesinis), but paid about USD 2500 (new) at the time (2004). The price has since gone up and cost new about what BSTs go for.

My SS has BSTs that I paid EUR 2800 for (2006), and I just got a set (new) for my 999R from a board member for about EUR 1800.

Tom

·
Registered
590 Posts
One of the members on OCMOTO is selling a brand new set of forged Marchesini wheels as well. I believe he wanted under 2k for them.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the members on OCMOTO is selling a brand new set of forged Marchesini wheels as well. I believe he wanted under 2k for them.

I just checked those out. They are for the 848 though. I just found out the rear wheel is 6 inch, mine is 5.5 and i just bought pirellie supercorsas with the 180/55.

Anybody have any specs on the carrozzeria wheels? Like weight difference. I have the Marchesini stock wheels for the S model. I am definately looking for lighter wheels at the right price.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've run cast magnesium dymags on the street since 1998, no problem.

I'm running forged Marchesins on my 675. No problems either.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
I've run cast magnesium dymags on the street since 1998, no problem.
Hell, my LeMans has EPM cast magnesiums with a manufacturing date of 1983 (bought them used in '98 or so)

(even nicer now that the front has the full-floating Ducati F1 Brembos on it that I got from Mark Hatten)

Tom

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I just checked those out. They are for the 848 though. I just found out the rear wheel is 6 inch, mine is 5.5 and i just bought pirellie supercorsas with the 180/55.

Anybody have any specs on the carrozzeria wheels? Like weight difference. I have the Marchesini stock wheels for the S model. I am definately looking for lighter wheels at the right price.
We sell the Carrozzeria wheels but I'm not much of a fan on finish or machining.
Check out the forged aluminum OZ wheels. They weigh about the same as magnesium but are much stronger and you won't have to worry about oxidation.

OZ Forged Alum Front Wheel: 748-998/Mon/ST/SC/MS/Mhe

OZ Forged Alum Rear Wheel: 998, S4R, 848, HM,MS:(5.5")

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We sell the Carrozzeria wheels but I'm not much of a fan on finish or machining.
Check out the forged aluminum OZ wheels. They weigh about the same as magnesium but are much stronger and you won't have to worry about oxidation.

OZ Forged Alum Front Wheel: 748-998/Mon/ST/SC/MS/Mhe

OZ Forged Alum Rear Wheel: 998, S4R, 848, HM,MS:(5.5")
Well those wheels look pretty sick, but I think you guys just quoted me on a set of Carrozzeria at a pretty good price. And the CZ's come in that wine red that I really like. They will cut weight of about 5.27 LBS. I was quoted by Nick from Moto Wheels.

Also what would be the total weight savings with the OZ wheels?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well those wheels look pretty sick, but I think you guys just quoted me on a set of Carrozzeria at a pretty good price. And the CZ's come in that wine red that I really like. They will cut weight of about 5.27 LBS. I was quoted by Nick from Moto Wheels.

Also what would be the total weight savings with the OZ wheels?
I have a set of Carrozzeria wheels on my 600rr. They seem well made, but appear not to be much lighter than the OEM wheels. The difference, if anything, is marginal, while with the Marchesini forged mags on my 675 the difference is very obvious in terms of turn in, suspension compliance, braking.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts