·
Registered
722 Posts
Good things come to he who waits lol

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #502
With a complete lock down in force here in New Zealand and the suspension of my study for the next 4 weeks I can now get into the carbon swing arm.

Today it is about working out how to make the carbon parts for the swing arm and prepare for the first part to be made. Not an easy project to tackle but I now have the time to think/reverse engineer how it will all work.

Applying the release compound for the rest of the day. I will start the first skin tomorrow.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #503
Working away on the swing arm, I was originally going to try the first parts in one infusion for two separate over lapping parts. As much as I would have liked to do that I am earring on the side of caution for this first piece so I scrapped that idea. This first skin is just 3 layers thick which should be enough to make a descent skin that will hold its shape though I have put some extra material in a couple of places that I know are going to prove difficult. One thing is for certain it is very fiddly to work on and get it to form over the edges properly. That been said I am glad that I made the radius on the edges bigger as it has certainly aided the process. Infusion went without a hitch though I did have a couple of attempts to get the bag right.

Bagged up and been debulked prior to peel ply been applied over the three layers of 200gsm carbon cloth.

Debagged, peel ply applied and manifold material added. Rebagged and under vacuum waiting for the resin. managed to get a perfect vacuum.

Infusion completed and it has gone extremely well this time. Now just have to leave it for a couple of days to cure before taking it all apart and manufacturing the other side.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #505
As a result of another failure to get the light skin off the plug I have had a bit of a rethink about this. I have not been entirely happy with the overall shape of it and as a result I have redesigned the swing arm. I have managed to get a better idea of how to go about the process of building this component and the parts that I have also been redesigned purely to remove a bit of weight off them but to also aid in the fitment and retention onto the composite parts. Once I have completed the design of the shock mount today and the redesign work of the components, this project is going to be parked until I get some more money to get the plug machined rather than me make it from scraps of wood and fiberglass.

New design has been completed - this is a render of the internal void of the swing arm. From this the moulds for the lightweight skin will be formed. Once cut, sanded and bonded together the lightweight shell will be wrapped and infused in stages making sure the layers are carefully laid flat and overlapped properly.

The majority of the void is the same thickness as a potential core material that can be used. Originally it was going to be a Nomex honeycomb core but the price of a sheet is out of my price range so I am looking at a potential foam alternative.

On another note I have been in regular contact with a company regards my composite brake rotors. The original company that was going to produce the carbo-ceramic rotors for me was going through some issues with the company that they were going to use to out source the manufacture of the disc blanks. Unfortunately that company has had some finance issues and the project has stalled indefinitely. While that was going on I was seeking alternatives when a company that produces carbon matrix rotors for the aerospace industry contacted me. As a result I have commissioned them to make two prototypes for testing to be sent to me once the lock down in NZ has ended. The new material is lighter and has higher temperature resistance while retaining a good drag coefficient. Though it is more expensive and poses a couple of other potential Issues once they are here I have a bike that we will fit them to for real world testing. I already have a couple of clients that are salivating at the prospect of getting these if the work. Prices are going to be less than half the cost of a set of Sicom units and they will be interchangeable with the original 3 piece, 12 bobbin original units.

Spent this morning redesigning the 15mm offset, 6 hole 320 x 6mm (30mm wide) for those that are doing conversions and have those one off bikes that people are building. The disc carriers are based on the original Superbike design but I have made a couple of changes to get a bit of unnecessary weight out of them. Expected weight with the carbon discs is 650 to 700grms each, complete.

Render of the prototype carbon matrix brake rotor to suit the original 3 piece carriers and compatible with existing components. Will use Kevlar brake pads (otherwise known as organic pads).

·
Registered
813 Posts
Combi, I've been intently reading and enjoying this thread for a while now. Really great work. I have one question; did you ever fix the frame :)?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sent you a PM

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #510
After a coup-le of failed attempts I have the first version of the shock mount for the swing arm designed is such a way that it locks onto the swing arm without the use of a fasteners. This will be bonded into place using a structural adhesive which should do the trick.

Managed to cut a small portion of the mount area from the original , thicken it to simulate the laminate thickness then built the mount on top of that with a space for the adhesive to be applied to. Complex compound curves had me thinking for a while as to how to duplicate it but managed to get there in the end. Now just have to wait for this lock down to be over before ordering a couple of them for the test item.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #511
Manage to get one of the vented main fairings ready for polishing tomorrow and will try and get the other side completed as well. I have a couple of other projects that I am working on to get to the same point. Want to get all the polishing out of the way in one hit or until I run out of polishing stuff.

501 - 511 of 511 Posts