Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

481 - 493 of 493 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #481
Finally I have all the ducks in a row for this one. IIt started out with me juct wanting a set of 3 piece dis cs as per the original Fe models but turned into a nightmare. Had so much trouble getting my own set that I though screw this I will make my own. So I have finally got complete disc sets designed and been manufactured based on the original 3 Piece design as per the 320mm disc sets as fitted to the 900SS final edition with a twist. The carriers were redesigned to be stronger and more resilient while retaining the classic appearance of the original. The bobbins have also been redesigned and are lighter, stronger and have a more positive locking system while been manufactured from a superior material. And finally the rotors, reproduced in heat treated AISI420 stainless steel. Carriers are in the Old Gold anodising, the bobbins are black and the rotors are precision ground finish to the correct width..
All the parts are interchangeable with an original disc set and I now have them available for some of the other bikes that I am working on. Think from memory that I have enough to build 20 complete discs. No more rusted discs issues when it gets wet or in the off season. Greater longevity, durability and the performance of a quality disc set.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is some beautiful craftsmanship. Great Job.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
I now have a couple of moulds all ready to start work on and having most of the materials in place, I will keep going until I run out again. First cab off the rank is the tanks so I managed to get the three moulds ready for use and a coat of whit gelcoat onto them yesterday. The first of the single seat units in glass are also high on the priority list of things to get going so That will get gel coated latter today. I still have the seat base and foam to sort out but all the material has arrived and the sewing machine is now just waiting on a couple of small components to source or for me to make. The machine was in a bad way, parts missing broken or in the case of the clutch completely jammed up with a cob of thread impacted around the clutch shaft. After 2 hours of swearing cursing and me losing my shit at it, it all finally came out and works reasonably well. The new table top which I have been sitting on for some time as been fitted and It all works well at this stage. I just need to fashion up a drip tray and fit the other parts when I get them and it will be as good as new.

Gelcoat all done and ready for demasking.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #484
No rest at the moment . Yesterday I managed to get the first of the tank bases laid up and infused. Managed to get it outside this morning and in the sun to cure. Removed it from the mould and are happy with the outcome. Have just finished laying up the top part of the tank and have high hopes that this will be the first successful tank to be taken off this mould.
Lessons learnt from the failures of the past and a bit of a rethink about how I was laying up the glass and core matt will hopefully solve a lot of the issues that I had been having. Will infuse it as soon as I have finished this post. Has been a very long day but a fruitful one.

Peel ply off and ready for demoulding.

Carefully managed to get my trusty ice cream sticks under the lip and by the time I got half way down of it popped.

First look at it and it looks good.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Oberon double sided rear indicators, new battery. Both the indicators and the diodes are half the weight of one indicator and the battery - 5 Kgs lighter than original and a fraction of the size.
Those are not diodes, they're wire wound resistors.

25 watt x 6.8 ohm specifically. Made by ARCOL.

I've been cruising this thread on and off for weeks, amazing workmanship! Happened upon this particular posting just now. Keep on rollin' ... most definitely a labor of love going on! I envy your passion and drive.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #486
I have gone off the boil on this project at the moment as I have a number of other things to get out of the way on another paying project. The next cab off the rank will be the vented late model side fairing moulds which the plugs are waiting to be sanded and polished before application of tooling gelcoat and resin laminate. Has been a very long project so far and there is no end in sight at the moment though I am about to put a massive cash injection into it to get it finished.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
Cut the latest tank failure up to have a look at where it has shrunk and have confirmed what I had initially thought was happening. Also found a couple of other areas along some of the edges that had voids due to bridging of the laminate. I will change the way that I am doing it to give a better, stronger product at the end of the day. Was happy with the finished thickness and the overall weight of the tank upper. Once the tank is complete and all together it should weigh in at about 5.5kgs finished in all glass and primed ready for painting in epoxy primer which is way below the original. Now just need to get the infusion /laminating process down and I will be into it over the next couple of months. The new tank lip plug has been completed and I have split the moulds and remove it. Couple of areas that need to have a bit of a work where I could not get the glass to go into without a vacuum bag to assist but not too bad. By the end of the week I hope to have the new lip mould complete so hopefully the weather will play ball for me and allow a bit of spraying to be done.
Another little project that has been lurking in the back ground is also under way - the seat bases for the single seat unit. The main pad base plug has been completed and will do the other one latter this week. Now just need to sort out the foam and sort out the sewing machine. Parts have arrived but they are not the correct ones.
And then there is the airbox. I have been mucking around now for over 18 months with this one chopping and changing the design as problems have appeared. Following the last issue that I had I have completely changed the design again. Initially I had the filter inside the box being feed by some tubes running down the side of the frame from the front of the bike just under the headlight. Now I have decided to have an open airbox with a flat filter on the front face with air directed to the front of it via a duct that will also form the base for the gauges and the support for the top fairing. Just waiting on the correct sized filter to arrive.

The original seat plug with a new old stock seat pad base that I picked up from the states.

Marked out the location and put some light marks on the face to mark the correct position of the holes to be drilled to suit the original style seat mounts as well. This will come out in the mould so I have a reference point to drill out in the future.

Used successive layers of tape to provide a recess for the material to sit in once it is glued into position and mark the edges of the mould for trimming. Will enable the seat pad to sit down tight on the seat unit and seal around the edges.

After gel coating and laminating I pulled the plug and mould apart this morning. Just need to remove the tape and trim the mould up.

Tape removed and looks good.

Now onto the lip plug. First part came of easy.

Second part was a bit tighter in places. Needed to put slightly more angle on the lip to get it out but it came off with a bit of gentle persuasion none the less.

Now just need to run the grinder and cut off wheel around the edges to give it a final clean up.

New Airbox shape. This is the original sized K&N air filter in place. The new one is slightly narrower and shorter but will fit perfectly on this face. No vents down the side of the frame, just a straight intake from the front of the bike into this. The shape of the airbox allows for the use of a foam seal to seal around the edges and the underside recess of the tanks as well. This is the same approach that I am going to use for the airbox to suit the split smart carb airbox when I get around to doing it (once the down draft Smartcarbs are available). This design also allows for the use of open ram tubes and gives a straight path past butterflies on the throttle bodies. There is enough space to allow for the use of shower head injectors in the future

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
Have been busy making up the duct to feed clean air to the front of the airbox. The correct sized filter has arrived so that is one less hurdle to get over. I will start the retainer this week some time in between everything else. The duct is coming along nicely and I am happy with the fitment and the layout so far.

Cut down frame as a jig locked down on the table with everything in the correct position.

After laminating a pile of plywood pices together shaping them into the correct shape as I go. In the back ground I have been keeping a CAD drawing of everything as things progress.

Qui9ck and easy method to get nice symmetrical curves in all the right places. Smear filler in the area and place a plastic container the right radius over it, press down and leave it to cure. Remove and presto, nicely formed curve with a nice flat surface to work off.

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
Little bit of progress today.

Shaped the front with a recessed portion for the light wiring. Had a bit of an issue in the=at I discovered that one of the tangs that holds the bulb in place is broken off.

Checking the fitment on the bike for clearance around the lower triple clamp.

Pulled the fairings out slightly to get a better look at the shape and profile.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
Clean up and a move around of bits and pieces. While I am working on multiple projects at the moment, sanding and preparing to paint them all at the same time, my fingers have lost all their skin so I am pulling back for the next couple of days to let them recover. Front vent is pretty much complete, it is now just a case of making the back half of it now which is all on the spare frame. Pulled the 1000DS frame that I have down from the roof to check and see if the airbox fits and a big fat no - there is a part of the frame that is slightly different so after a bit of investigating and a bit of angle grinder work it now fits perfectly. The goal was always to make it a direct swap for the injected bikes in an effort to removing that stupid curved duct system, allow for matched inlet tracts, massive increase in airflow and reduce the weight somewhat. With the new airbox you will be able to run different length ram tubes if you want.

After a bit of angle grinder work on the bottom of the airbox I have it sitting where it should.

Relocated battery where it will be sitting.

Filter sitting where the opening will be and the recess needs to be made that it will sit in.

Tank and seat unit for the DS based race bike sitting in position.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
I do like the seat pan, looks great
Yes was rather surprised that it fitted so well. Only have spent the morning playing with it and I can make a set of mounts similar to the ones for the 91-97 model seats that I am making very easily. Already have people asking me to build them one.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes was rather surprised that it fitted so well. Only have spent the morning playing with it and I can make a set of mounts similar to the ones for the 91-97 model seats that I am making very easily. Already have people asking me to build them one.
pm sent

481 - 493 of 493 Posts