Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know about how much it runs to have a supersport painted along with some minor body work prep to take out a few scratched and a dent on the tank?.. I know I know.. Call around I will..

Anyone have some ballpark $$ for me? Just want to do a basic Gloss black on a full fairing SS. I picked up a used tank to replace my leaker and don't want to ride around with a red tank on a black bike..

Painters in SoCal area are def welcome.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had to have my right fairing re-sprayed after a low-side, didn't come out the same as I have the "dark" matte paint, your dillema may be different if you have something other. As far as cost, nill as my neighbour did it. Network a bit, You may also have a neighbour that does bodywork.

·
Señor Member
8,321 Posts
I have cracks in my RH fairing, one spot by the turn signal busted completely through. I am doing my own work. About $25 in resin and matt. Priced primer and paint to do the whole bike at around $150 for a non-stock red. Figure another $20 to $50 for sand paper and other incidentals.

"in God we trust"

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Learn how to do it here
http://tmarkuscustoms.com/workshop.html

I wanted to know about how much it runs to have a supersport painted along with some minor body work prep to take out a few scratched and a dent on the tank?.. I know I know.. Call around I will..

Anyone have some ballpark $$ for me? Just want to do a basic Gloss black on a full fairing SS. I picked up a used tank to replace my leaker and don't want to ride around with a red tank on a black bike..

Painters in SoCal area are def welcome.

·
Registered
570 Posts
As I have mentioned before....I dropped mine the day I got it. The left fairing had minor damage to paint but bad damage physically. Cracked turn signal housing.

I had mine repaired by a shop here that was supposed to be the best. He does Tom Cruise's bikes! Cost me $400.00 just for the fender. He estimated about $1,800.00 to repray the whole bike.

The repaired fender is flawless and looks like it was never dropped. Wet sanded and buffed by hand. I would trust him to repaint the whole bike for that estimate anyday.

This pic shows the reflection of the dirt path I took the pic on. The paint is like a mirror

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Not sure what a shop would charge, but when I'm doing an estimate of what a project might cost, I add $300-$500 for paint supplies to repaint the entire bike (frame included). That includes primer, sealer, base (usually two colors at least), clear, and misc supplies.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW.. Very cool shot M5zealot.. Photo contest time? LOL

Thanks for all the info.. That's about what I thought for all the work.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Taking everything apart and just dropping off the panels, a local auto body shop did bodywork and paint on mine for $700. The side fairing had some scrapes from being dropped before I owned it, which was included in the price. I did however have to put on the decals on myself after paint but before they cleared over it. The painter didn't want to be responsible for crooked decals. All in all, I give the paint job about an 8. If you're a pefectionist, I recommend you pay the extra money and find an actual motorcycle painting shop but if you're on a budget, a local auto body shop might be just the ticket.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
wow....then I got a steal. :D

$300 for mine...factory PPG paint even, prepped & fixed road rash & a few cracks in the fairings, filled in voids from turn signals since I went with the mirrors with integrated signals, wet sanded to 1k then clear coated then wet sanded again to 1k grit.

Granted, I knew the guy and we did some stereo work for his daughter in her truck.:cool:

It looks 10x better than the factory paint ever did. I used to detail exotic cars for a living and I'm extremely pleased with the quality.

It's a bike and I ride the fark outta it, it's not a show piece for me. I don't expect it to look amazing forever, I just want it to look good. I'm not going to go over it with a magnifine glass and cry when I find a hairline scratch. I'd much rather spend my time riding it and enjoying it for the reason I spent the money buying it in the first place.

If I wanted something I just wanted to put up on a pedestal and stare at, I'd buy a piece of marble or bronze sculpture and stare at it.

So in short, what are you looking for in your paint job? A show piece that you're going to be afraid of riding or something you would rather ride a few miles down to the local cafe, have a late and bask in its reflection?

That's going to dictate the price more than asking others what they paid for their paint jobs on a forum. :p

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Of all work or modifications done on motorcycles
Paint is the most labor intensive and not rocket science.
80% hands on Prep and repair work. Patience and a good eye for detail is important.
Also unlike cars there is more attention paid to detail too.

The Paint Workshop I posted a link for T MARKUS Paint workshop is just that.
-Learn to Prep and repair your own parts at the quality level to have them ready for the painter.-
The cost to spray your part in a paint booth is much less then the labor to prep it.

Your buddy gave you a BIG discount on labor.
He must be a good friend. He did a very nice job

·
Registered
570 Posts
killer shot. :cool: :cool: :cool:

the picture of the day. :cool: :cool: :cool:
Thanks, Duh I just realized I called my fairing a fender! LOL I guess I'm still a cager at heart!

·
Registered
570 Posts
WOW.. Very cool shot M5zealot.. Photo contest time? LOL

Thanks for all the info.. That's about what I thought for all the work.
Thanks......just got lucky and have a Canon EOS Digicam that is way too advance for my photo skills!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts