Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, ive got a 06 749s that im tracking and trying to race soon and cant seem to figure out the gearing. Ive got a 43 tooth on the rear now and cant get into sixth gear even on the fast tracks, and im not a slow rider by any means. I think I need to go another two or three in the rear to use sixth gear but it just seems a bit extreme how im already five up from stock. Maybe you guys with some seat time on these things could chime in. thanks

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Do you have a 14-T front?

In my experience it's more important to be at the right RPM at the right places around the track, rather than to gear it to top out in 6th at the end of the longest straight. If you're not lugging driving into fast sections, or having to shift at awkward spots, then you're probably o.k. even if you never hit 6th.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The fastest track I visit is pretty quick, well over 160mph and I use a 15/39 gear setup on my 749R.

If you've got a 14 front, just change it out for a 15 and that should help a lot.

Ohh and I whole heartedly agree with Jeff...
I also run a 15/39 on my 999 for what it is worth. But if he had a 14 tooth front he would be using 6th more often than us as the smaller countershaft sprocket will cause the engine to run at higher rpm's at a certain speed than a 15 tooth CS sprocket. Right?

·
Registered
228 Posts
RENCRN8 you are correct about the lower front sprocket =more acceleration.

To the OP. I see your not far from Vir. What track are you going to.

I can switch 6th on my 749 (with a 14t front / 39t rear) 10 feet past the flagstand on the front straight of north course at Vir. I resently put a 42t rear to help out around town and going into 6th gear at 60 mph on the highway.
Jeff and Tye1138 are right too. You will need the right gearing for different tracks. I thought I would need a very low gear the first time I went to summit point. Turned out I was running out of gear almost 1/2 way down straight.
Try the 14t front or go up in the rear.

Goodluck out there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, riding the duc is just sooooo much different than my old r6 race bike and I guess im still trying to figure it out. ive got a 14 front on now, maybe i need to just forget about sixth gear or either start shortshifting. I have been to VIR but never on the duc, its an awesome track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts