Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does Ducati carry parts for their bikes for? I am thinking about getting a 748s and want to make sure that I am going to be able to get parts down the road.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
How long does Ducati carry parts for their bikes for? I am thinking about getting a 748s and want to make sure that I am going to be able to get parts down the road.
Some of the more obscure and less commonly replaced parts are already discontinued. I discovered that a $17 part for the headlight has been discontinued, so I plastic welded my busted one. You can pretty much assume that any part that is not carried over into current models has been discontinued from production, and once the inventory is depleted, you will be SOL. I can still find some parts for my '87 Ducati Paso 750 through dealers, but it is whatever is sitting on a shelf somewhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some of the more obscure and less commonly replaced parts are already discontinued. I discovered that a $17 part for the headlight has been discontinued, so I plastic welded my busted one. You can pretty much assume that any part that is not carried over into current models has been discontinued from production, and once the inventory is depleted, you will be SOL. I can still find some parts for my '87 Ducati Paso 750 through dealers, but it is whatever is sitting on a shelf somewhere.

But for a year 2000 748s your saying there are some parts that I will not be able to get? Wow... that really makes me think twice about buying this bike.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Actual engine parts will be available for many years to come, as will electrical and fuel injection parts since they're sourced by outside suppliers. The only parts that will be discontinued early are those cosmetic/body parts that are unique to the bike and/or have very little sales history and are therefore not economically sound to stock and continue producing. But with current technology it's very easy and affordable to have bodywork repaired rather than replace it. There are also many outside suppliers for the parts you'll need on a regular basis such as tuning parts (filters, plugs, etc.) and cables, levers, bars, pegs and so forth. In all likelihood, you should be able to own and enjoy a 748 for many years to come without a significant issue.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
yeah....but for how long will the parts be available? Some parts are discontinued? My question is this...how long does Ducati make parts for certain models?
Seriously, it's the most popular bike in Ducati's history. Parts are a plenty and you can get aftermarket fairings and such with no issues.

·
Registered
173 Posts
hard to say, but there a lots of people who are constantly parting bikes out, and most parts are readily available. they used the engine from 95 to 07 (in monsters) so motor parts will not be difficult. 95 to 01/2 for most frame parts, so lots of years to choose from. basically anything you are likely to need you will be able to find. only case you may have problems is if you total the bike and try to find every little replacement bit from the dealer, that may take some time. dont let parts sourcing deter you from picking up the best superbike in the world :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts