Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made these custom handlebar spacers for the Hypermotard 821 or as a lower replacement for the Hyperstrada 821. For taller riders it raises the bars up a little and makes it more comfortable. They are 14mm tall. Made from 6061-T6 aluminum with a brushed almost polished finish - closely matches the steering stem nut.

Includes brand new grade 12.9 zinc plated bolts, and grade 10.9 zinc chromate plated nylon lock nuts.

$35 shipped in the US. Thanks for looking :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I may be interested. How would I install them? What is the torque spec of everything I'd need to remove? I've never worked on a bike before, only cars.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may be interested. How would I install them? What is the torque spec of everything I'd need to remove? I've never worked on a bike before, only cars.
You just take off your handlebar, and remove the bolt that goes through the riser. Put this spacer underneath and use the new bolt and nut. Torque it down pretty good to about 50 ft-lbs while ensuring the risers don't rotate. Helps to have a helping hand to hold the top while you tighten the nut. :)

Let me know if you're interested! PM or quote is best so I see the notification.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and then torque the handlebar clamp bolts to 18 ft-lbs or just line up the factory torque markings again. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh, and then torque the handlebar clamp bolts to 18 ft-lbs or just line up the factory torque markings again. Hope that helps.
I just got the Puig windscreen today and it looks like the handlebars are about 14-20mm too low for the mounting bracket that it can with. Could this be why you did this mod?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got the Puig windscreen today and it looks like the handlebars are about 14-20mm too low for the mounting bracket that it can with. Could this be why you did this mod?
No I am not familiar with the Puig screen bracket. I did the mod to play with the ergonomics for me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No I am not familiar with the Puig screen bracket. I did the mod to play with the ergonomics for me.
What did you think of the ergonomics with it? Why didn't you keep it on your bike? Did you go with a larger or different spacer or decide you liked it lower?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What did you think of the ergonomics with it? Why didn't you keep it on your bike? Did you go with a larger or different spacer or decide you liked it lower?
It was much more comfy as I am 6 feet tall, it made my forearms go out more parallel to the ground, rather than downward. It also felt more like a dirtbike with the higher bars. And it felt smoother, since less weight was on the bars so less road imperfections were transmitted to my hands. Amazing how much difference 14mm can make. I ultimately took them off because I prefer riding more sport style and taller bars make weighting the front end harder.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It was much more comfy as I am 6 feet tall, it made my forearms go out more parallel to the ground, rather than downward. It also felt more like a dirtbike with the higher bars. And it felt smoother, since less weight was on the bars so less road imperfections were transmitted to my hands. Amazing how much difference 14mm can make. I ultimately took them off because I prefer riding more sport style and taller bars make weighting the front end harder.
I talked with the parts guy at Motocorsa near me about the handlebar risers. He said that the SP Hyper won't take risers as the brake is radial mounted and they don't make longer cables for it, which would be needed if the bars were raised. I'm assuming you didn't have the SP but the base Hyper so you didn't have this issue.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked with the parts guy at Motocorsa near me about the handlebar risers. He said that the SP Hyper won't take risers as the brake is radial mounted and they don't make longer cables for it, which would be needed if the bars were raised. I'm assuming you didn't have the SP but the base Hyper so you didn't have this issue.
I do have the SP. There weren't any issues with 14mm risers. At around 20mm it gets kinda tight, but since the bars and front cowl are all one piece, there is no relative motion and it's not a problem.

Risers are sold btw :grin2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts