Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the joy of visiting Australia many times and living in the Sydney coastal area for a while. We California residents are well aware of the terror and tragedy that is wrought by wildfires, but I don't think I have ever seen fire on the scale of what is happening in Australia right now. I just wanted to pass on this message to let you know that you are being thought of and hope you can stay safe.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Thanks so much for your kind thoughts spacey. Yes, it feels like the whole country is in drought and on fire at the moment. Many people are suffering physically and emotionally at the moment, but equally many of our volunteers are doing exceptional work with communities and individuals impacted by the terrible extent of the fires. We hope they all stay safe and well.

·
Registered
403 Posts
And the corrupt muppets in charge are doing fuck all. They cut the fire service budget by a third (NSW) but give $110,000 to a happy clapper pentacostal church founded by a peado.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks @spacey for the thoughts and well wishes, I live in the Mid North Coast and the scale is beyond what many people have seen in their lifetimes.

The devatstation to peoples homes, their livelihood, the native wildlife and farming stock is almost beyond comprehension.

Thankfully there is an army of ordinary heroes out there risking their lives, and whilst I know we are not supposed to get political on this forum, I second by the above comment from Grrss.

Support from communities, even online bike forums, helps us understand and get through this, so thanks mate.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I hope they get the fires controlled and out soon. It's a terrible situation.

Perhaps you can donate here.

An American model has raised more than NZ$750,000 for the Australian bushfire victims by promising to send nude selfies to those who donate.

Los Angeles woman Kaylen Ward decided to do what she could to help the relief efforts by encouraging followers to donate at least $10 in exchange for an X-rated image of herself.

Model raises more than $750,000 for Aussie bushfire relief by sending nudes to donors

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you Google "Donate to Australian Fires", you will find a number of ways to send money if you wish. I gave to the Australian Red Cross. There are ways to give to a number of volunteer fire organizations, wildlife rescue etc. I think I clicked through a story by "Business Insider" to ensure that the organizations listed were legitimate.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I'm sure all volunteers and victims impacted will thank you all greatly for your thoughts and donations.(y)

·
Premium Member
520 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks to everyone for thier best wishes.
They are most appreciated and help keep us sane.

I have spent about the last 6 weeks in the path of the Black Wattle Creek fire. At its worst I stood at the top of my driveway and refused an order to leave that was made contrary to NSW law. Eventually a loccal police officer confirmed to the Victorian firefighter that as I had adequate preparation that I am entitled to stay and defend.

I called in the blaze on that day, the 000 call was poorly handled and I was not confident that the call was being responded to, as I described the fire location 400metres to my west and the call operator said that he had teams en route to a street address 700metres to my east. So I stopped a RFS (Rural Fire Service) captain and pointed it out to him, within 20 minutes the blaze had taken quite a hold. 14 fire trucks eventually attended our street. I shouldd mention that I am on a rural block of some 14 acres, we are adjacent to the residential blocks. The fire trucks in the street did not point a hose at a fire. The fire was quelled (not extinguished) by 5 helicopters and aditional firetrucks accessing from the next road.

My current avatar is the burnt bush 3km from my house. As you can see there is not much left. The most frustrating part of this is that it could all have been much less devastating. We have had the right to hazard reduce and fuel load reduce wound back so far that even with very diligent attention to the fuel load on my block I still wish to be able to reduce the fuel a further 30%. We are surrounded by National Parks, Parks have been locked up and not maintained for the last 30 years, If the fuel load is not there the fire will not be that big, simple equation the same one that makes our bike go, fuel + air + ignition = flame, less fuel = les flame = less devastation.

I am sick of hearing that its global warming, the patterns of our weather are still not fully understood. the weather bureau and its body of scientists can't predict tomorrows weather, how do they realy believ they can tell us what is happening in years to come.

We need to get back to proper fuel and land management. Those of us who escape this fire episode with life and property intact need to make a lot of noise and be heard to make sure that we are ready from a fuel load point of view for the next fire season.

There are many areas that have only partially burnt and will be ready to ingite again if we don't start to manage our bushland, that includes National parks. To much green tape has been the cause of the level of destruction.

Sorry to use this forum for a seemingly political rant, but it has been a great help to me to say something and to people who are showing concern for our plight. Thank you for your best wishes. Thank you for listening. Thank you in advance if you add your voice to a call for proper fuel management.

Brett

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I heard on the radio on the way in to work this morning that the police have arrested 185 people so far for starting most of the fires, I am in the U.S. so I dont know if that is correct or not --Hell we cant trust what most of the media spews lol---You guys keep your heads down and be safe

·
Registered
979 Posts
I really hate to get into it, but global warming is a scientific consensus. No one is blaming global warming for the fires, but the fact is that wildfires world-wide have been exacerbated by changing weather patterns - in this case dryer seasons and higher temperatures. This is exactly why the management is so much more important now than ever, so I agree with you there.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi Rennsport
It is good to double check the media, especially when some of the reports gain 'credence' as a result of popularity of the source, there is a map doing the rounds on twitter that shows virtually all of Australia as burning, with a line right at the end of the post that says some of these fire may not be current. the map even shows fires in places that are sand only desert. This sort of disruptive misinformation makes it hard to get through what is real.

The numbers on fire lighters are kind of right. There are 185 people the police have spoken to, 43 arrests for arson, the rest are for such things as non compliance with fire bans (which is totally stupid and irresponsible, but it is not an arrest). That is not to say that there are not more arsonist yet to be caught. But some reporters cant resist the temptation of letting a good story distort the facts.

Hi Amehl
There are plenty of people blaming Global Warming for the fires, local and foreign politicians to start with, Russel Crowe and Cate Blanchett used the Golden Globes ceremony as a platform to tie the fires to climate change as did Kim Kardashian West via twitter. Scientific consensus does not exist, if it ever does I will be worried when all scientist agree that there is only one answer we have to question the methods. Our weather patterns oscillate over a far greater range than we have a real understanding of. There are many interplanetary influences that come and go periodically. Russel Crowe is calling for all workforce to be moved to renewable energy. If we do go down that track history will eventually show that as the decline of the earth, it will be a very destructive process just to make enough battery storage, let alone the minerals that will be used in making short term power generating methods. Solar and wind are extremely resource hungry and have short service lives, and many of the materials are not recoverable.

A hotter dryer season by itself does not create the fires, A concentration of fuel that has been increasing for the last 30 years has made the intensity of these fires far greater than a well managed fuel load. I am not allowed to make appropriate fuel management on my land, my Development Consent is a little easier than some more recent ones at least I am allowed to maintain a fuel free zone. I do have approval for fuel reduced zone but I am blocked from every maintenance method for that. On top of that we have Parks as neighbours and they just lock it up and don't touch it. That has been our biggest threat, Our area got lucky 3 weeks ago, many areas have had fires that are not far different to the one close to us with far worse results. We shouldn't have to rely on luck.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have spent about the last 6 weeks in the path of the Black Wattle Creek fire. At its worst I stood at the top of my driveway and refused an order to leave that was made contrary to NSW law. Eventually a loccal police officer confirmed to the Victorian firefighter that as I had adequate preparation that I am entitled to stay and defend.

I called in the blaze on that day, the 000 call was poorly handled and I was not confident that the call was being responded to, as I described the fire location 400metres to my west and the call operator said that he had teams en route to a street address 700metres to my east. So I stopped a RFS (Rural Fire Service) captain and pointed it out to him, within 20 minutes the blaze had taken quite a hold. 14 fire trucks eventually attended our street. I shouldd mention that I am on a rural block of some 14 acres, we are adjacent to the residential blocks. The fire trucks in the street did not point a hose at a fire. The fire was quelled (not extinguished) by 5 helicopters and aditional firetrucks accessing from the next road.

My current avatar is the burnt bush 3km from my house. As you can see there is not much left. The most frustrating part of this is that it could all have been much less devastating. We have had the right to hazard reduce and fuel load reduce wound back so far that even with very diligent attention to the fuel load on my block I still wish to be able to reduce the fuel a further 30%. We are surrounded by National Parks, Parks have been locked up and not maintained for the last 30 years, If the fuel load is not there the fire will not be that big, simple equation the same one that makes our bike go, fuel + air + ignition = flame, less fuel = les flame = less devastation.

I am sick of hearing that its global warming, the patterns of our weather are still not fully understood. the weather bureau and its body of scientists can't predict tomorrows weather, how do they realy believ they can tell us what is happening in years to come.

We need to get back to proper fuel and land management. Those of us who escape this fire episode with life and property intact need to make a lot of noise and be heard to make sure that we are ready from a fuel load point of view for the next fire season.

There are many areas that have only partially burnt and will be ready to ingite again if we don't start to manage our bushland, that includes National parks. To much green tape has been the cause of the level of destruction.

Sorry to use this forum for a seemingly political rant, but it has been a great help to me to say something and to people who are showing concern for our plight. Thank you for your best wishes. Thank you for listening. Thank you in advance if you add your voice to a call for proper fuel management.

Brett
Hi Rennsport
It is good to double check the media, especially when some of the reports gain 'credence' as a result of popularity of the source, there is a map doing the rounds on twitter that shows virtually all of Australia as burning, with a line right at the end of the post that says some of these fire may not be current. the map even shows fires in places that are sand only desert. This sort of disruptive misinformation makes it hard to get through what is real.

The numbers on fire lighters are kind of right. There are 185 people the police have spoken to, 43 arrests for arson, the rest are for such things as non compliance with fire bans (which is totally stupid and irresponsible, but it is not an arrest). That is not to say that there are not more arsonist yet to be caught. But some reporters cant resist the temptation of letting a good story distort the facts.

Hi Amehl
There are plenty of people blaming Global Warming for the fires, local and foreign politicians to start with, Russel Crowe and Cate Blanchett used the Golden Globes ceremony as a platform to tie the fires to climate change as did Kim Kardashian West via twitter. Scientific consensus does not exist, if it ever does I will be worried when all scientist agree that there is only one answer we have to question the methods. Our weather patterns oscillate over a far greater range than we have a real understanding of. There are many interplanetary influences that come and go periodically. Russel Crowe is calling for all workforce to be moved to renewable energy. If we do go down that track history will eventually show that as the decline of the earth, it will be a very destructive process just to make enough battery storage, let alone the minerals that will be used in making short term power generating methods. Solar and wind are extremely resource hungry and have short service lives, and many of the materials are not recoverable.

A hotter dryer season by itself does not create the fires, A concentration of fuel that has been increasing for the last 30 years has made the intensity of these fires far greater than a well managed fuel load. I am not allowed to make appropriate fuel management on my land, my Development Consent is a little easier than some more recent ones at least I am allowed to maintain a fuel free zone. I do have approval for fuel reduced zone but I am blocked from every maintenance method for that. On top of that we have Parks as neighbours and they just lock it up and don't touch it. That has been our biggest threat, Our area got lucky 3 weeks ago, many areas have had fires that are not far different to the one close to us with far worse results. We shouldn't have to rely on luck.
Hear hear!!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi Neil
That is a great summary of what I am trying to say. Climate change is really about control of the people and wealth redistribution. The satellite fire graphic they show would be terrifying if it was true. Some of the burnt area is the great sandy desert, maybe its a new glass factory I did not know of. The media manipulation all feels very 1984, George was so close, it is not acceptable now to use war for wealth distrubition so the big scary climate EMERGENCY is dragged.

Joe Kennedy famously said when the shoe shine boy is giving stockmarket tips its time to exit the market, that was in 1929 just before the crash that bought on the depression. We are now taking climate advice from actors and 14 year old girls who should be in school.

Glad to know there are still some people who can think and observe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts