Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who need a charge while on the road.

This looks like a good idea. I have not used one but the specs suggest it would be very useful on our bikes;

TAPP 2.1 A WEATHER PROOF USB POWER PORT
[150-0056-01]

This compact, easy to mount, all-weather 2.1 amp USB Power Port is the answer for powering and charging your USB devices including TABLETS, cell phones, smart phones, most GPS units, MP3 players and some digital cameras. It mounts easily to any surface using the patented Universal Mounting System. A removable/replaceable seal cap protects the power port from dust and water. An integrally molded cable strain relief and co-extruded cable jacket ensures a robust installation on any vehicle. USB cable connection is all-weather when used with a 3BR Powersports’ patented TAPP CAPPed cable. You can even power your Garmin GPS (Nuvi, Oregon, Dakota, Montana and more) with a specially designed 3BR Powersports Garmin TAPP CAPP USB Cable.

Easily mount the USB port end of the TAPP Power Port Cable in the perfect location with the included universal mounting system. When not in use, protect the USB port from dust and water with the included tethered seal cap.

Specifications:
  • Input Voltage: 12V ± 4.0V
  • USB (Output) Voltage: 5V ±.25V
  • Output Current: 2.1A Max.
  • Protection Rating: IP64 (Water wash down) when capped or when TAPP CAPPed USB cable is plugged in. None when a standard USB Cable is plugged in.
  • Operating Temperature Range: 0°F to 125°F (-15°C to 50°C)
  • Cable Jacket: Co-extruded over UL rated wire. Abrasion resistant, UL/CSA listed, meets Mil-I-631D, -40°F to 221°F
  • Cable length: 6ft (2M)
  • Electrical protection: Splash proof ATC fuse holder with 7.5A fuse; internal auto-resetting fuse, internal auto over-temp power control, diode protected against inadvertent reverse polarity.
  • Wire Terminals: Crimp/Solder .25” Ring (battery screw size)
  • Seal Cap: Removable/Replaceable
  • Mounting: 3BR Powersports Universal Mounting System
  • Same form factor as TAPP Lite™ makes upgrade easy
  • Powers: Most cell phones including Apple iPhone, LG EnV, Blackberry, & Motorola Razr (requires charging cable). Also Garmin GPS, Apple iPod, and any other device that charges using 2.1A or less of USB power

See here: https://www.adventuremoto.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=163&products_id=1709

·
Registered
472 Posts
For those who need a charge while on the road.
I installed it on both of my bikes: 848 and 1200S. Works like a charm! The main reason for having it hooked up is to keep my phone charged (I keep it plugged all the time while riding since I'm constantly streaming music to my BT). And, speaking of which, to charge the Sena SMH10, if needed be.

Here's the link to the quick installation (i.e., how-to) guide I wrote awhile back.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have been looking for something like this, but $55 for a wire with USB port is a bit too much.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I too have one of these... its terriffic! I did add a relay though, so its only powered up when the ignition is on. It sure beats the leggo style usb adapter in a cigarette socket. The cabling is good and solid,too. This makes a really nice neat install from bars to battery.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have been looking for something like this, but $55 for a wire with USB port is a bit too much.
Check out my "how to" guide for links / coupons.

Or if you're lazy, here's the link to the cable (use "stowners10" coupon for $2 off). :p

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Motodisiac,
While it may seem a steep price, it is a waterproofed USB port with a MC designed mounting system. it is also not just a wire but includes a step-down transformer to change the 12V to the USB 5.5V. This seems pretty compact and well designed for a bike. You can get cheaper cigarette lighter USB chargers that have built in transformers but they are designed to be inside a car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts