Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had a bad thing happen today when I did a long wheelie, my Fabbri windshield broke into pieces when I brought the front wheel back down...not even a hard landing really, just shattered. Has anyone else had this happen? Seems like the plastic is very brittle. I dont think that I had over tighted on it either. Is the DP one better?

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far can't find any info on Hyper/single sided swingarm applications... probably just for the JAP bikes at the moment...

b

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, just heard back from Jeff Duzzny of Wheelie Teach. They're currently in development on a single sided swingarm version.

B

·
Registered
260 Posts
GL, mine broke into about six pieces. I do miss it though, but may search for a less brittle replacement. Bike feels naked w/out it.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
I think I'm an average to good rider... do track days, can stay with pretty fast guys. But I'm embarassed to say that even with a heavily modified hypermotard I haven't done any real wheelies yet. sure, the front will sometimes lift a few inches of the ground, but I've never actually reached the balance point or lifted the wheel even 1 ft of the ground I don't think.

it's not a huge goal of mine as it doesn't have much to do with good riding skills.. but it would be fun to learn I think

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just get much farther back on the seat, it will come right up in second gear, first gear is really easy but the gearing is short so it wont be able to stay up long unless you are able to shift gears. Now I want to get it up in second and then get into third for 100 yard plus which shouldnt be very difficult, you just have to relax and go with it...today I went about 50 yrds in second so just need more practice to get it right...makes it fun to really learn the bike. Coming from a dirt bike the HM inspires much more confidence than I would ever have on a true sport bike, but maybe that will be next...SF here I come.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The technique I use with lesser powered dirt bikes is to chop the throttle to compress the forks and use the rebound to aid the lift with a slight pull up on the bars and suitable throttle opening. This technique works well with the hyper in third gear and gives you a good range of revs to do considerable distance.

This bike is the best wheelie bike I have ever owned, however I have yet to learn the technique of steering while up there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
CR,

I did not make it out tonight. Regarding wheelies on the Hyper, keep in mind that the rear cylinder will starve for oil with a long wheelie. Not sure how long you can ride the wheelie before damage sets in but you may want to do some research if you plan to ride long wheelies.

I ordered another Fabbri windscreen today. Didn't like the finish of the gloss black. Hopefully the smoke looks better.

Don

·
Registered
256 Posts
I used to do a lot of wheelies on dirt bikes and when I moved onto motards. The Hyper needs no technique to get the front wheel up, in second go to about 30mph and then wind the throttle on and hang on for the ride. I snicked into third one time but wasn't up high enough to keep going and I suspect the speeds involved would be much higher than I've been used to. Personally I wouldn't recommend doing them in 1st, I reckon it would be too twitchy. On the motard I used to do them up to my driveway, drop it back pretty quick and stand on the brakes, with the Hyper I overshot the driveway and bottomed out the forks. I cranked the forks up and now wind the throttle on a little for contact and it comes down gently. Do 'em uphill and it will feel more controlled. I'm the opposite of one of our other posters, people think I must know how to ride because I can do wheelies but I'm crap at track days.

I had to laugh at the KTM manual because it recommends against doing prolonged wheelies... it didn't say don't do them at all like most politically correct do-gooder manuals would.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Just get much farther back on the seat, it will come right up in second gear, first gear is really easy but the gearing is short so it wont be able to stay up long unless you are able to shift gears. Now I want to get it up in second and then get into third for 100 yard plus which shouldnt be very difficult, you just have to relax and go with it...today I went about 50 yrds in second so just need more practice to get it right...makes it fun to really learn the bike. Coming from a dirt bike the HM inspires much more confidence than I would ever have on a true sport bike, but maybe that will be next...SF here I come.
It will come up by opening the throttle or using the clutch and at what rpm you start with and how hard you hit the throttle?:):confused:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I wanted to make sure to mention that the front end sure comes up a lot easier since I put on the full zard, DP ecu and pods on. The bike basically snarls now...kinda of cheating in a way.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It will come up by opening the throttle or using the clutch and at what rpm you start with and how hard you hit the throttle?:):confused:
no need to get back on the seat, the hyper will snap it all the way past the balance point in second at about 2500 rpms, shifting should be done at lower rpms since there is so much torque in the first four gears to "play" with the balance point. As far as steering goes, well, use your legs to move the balance point. Always cover the back brake if you are new at this cause going over is never fun!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
yea i noticed when i was coming down from a wheeli that the dp screen was shaking seriously, but thankfully it never shattered. i think that it is because there is so much drag on the engine of the hyper whenever the throttle is shut off that makes her come down so heavy. that was when i was wheeling on my drive way and it was too short. On a longer road, you shour be able to shift up to at least third gear and when she is coming down then the landing will not be so hard

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I was watching Superbikes with Jason Britton. He was doing a wheelie with his friends Hypermotard on a bridge. The engine blew after like 20 yards and oil poured out the exhaust. Then Jason made a remark like Ducati sucks for wheelies. I tried to youtube it but couldn't find it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have to be very careful leaving my house because the neighborhood kids block the street, force me to do a burnout, loft it into a wheelie and, then bring it down into a stoppie. Wash, rinse, repeat! Actually, I do get quite a charge off it too!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts